COVID-19: Thailand reports 19,851 coronavirus cases

webfact

COV20.JPG

FILE PHOTO: REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa

Thailand on Friday (August 20) reported 19,851 new COVID-19 cases and 240 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

● 19,526 new infections

● 325 prison / prison infections

● 20,478 recoveries

Friday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 1,009,710 with 8,826 deaths. (Total infections since April 1: 980,847)

The news comes as Thailand is studying the possibility of injecting coronavirus vaccines under the skin to try to stretch its limited supply, a health official said on Thursday, as the country races to inoculate the public faster amid a worsening epidemic.

"Our previous experience shows that intradermal injections uses 25% of a muscular injection, but triggers the same level of immunity," head of the medical science department, Supakit Sirilak told reporters.

Thailand has been reporting record deaths in recent weeks among nearly 1 million cases overall.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update20AUG).png

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Like 2

test less and the numbers will reduce... What happens to the Rapid tests? are they included if they are found positive in the PCR test? So the 19800 cases today is that included the number of the rapid test of yesterday or are the rapid tests confirmed but not counted anymore??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

test less and the numbers will reduce... What happens to the Rapid tests? are they included if they are found positive in the PCR test? So the 19800 cases today is that included the number of the rapid test of yesterday or are the rapid tests confirmed but not counted anymore??

Rapid tests are not included in the official total of infections only if they are followed up by a PCR test.

as I have never heard about covid intradermal vax, how it is, that for almost a year now, since the first countries started their inoculation program, nobody in the world tried it yet?

and what about producers, who conducted research with intramuscular doses? that might be breaching use of their vax.

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, webfact said:

Our previous experience shows that intradermal injections uses 25% of a muscular injection, but triggers the same level of immunity," head of the medical science department, Supakit Sirilak told reporters.

Thailand , hub of innovation and medical breakthroughs.

mix and match and now injecting under the skin.

I wonder what will Thailand come up with once they realise need a 3rd booster shot after 8 months 

22 minutes ago, anchadian said:

As many of us suspected the barriers put up in restaurants and hairdressers don’t do much - same must apply to the transparent plastic face shields.

https://twitter.com/pakhead/status/1428531052499267595

Those Anti-Covid Plastic Barriers Probably Don’t Help and May Make Things Worse

Clear barriers have sprung up at restaurants, nail salons and school classrooms, but most of the time, they do little to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

(Paywall)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/19/well/live/coronavirus-restaurants-classrooms-salons.html?referringSource=articleShare

It's old to do this. Maybe somewhat effective for earlier variants but this is Delta and is much more aerosol so the barrier form little to no protection. It's in the air you breath. 

Today, the ambulances are still rolling constantly this morning here in Bangkok.  If the downward trend is to be believed then why the reduced number in testing.  I will be taking a break from posting, as my family in the States has just had a covid death.  It was my Brother In-Laws brother, who unfortunately did not believe in being vaccinated just like his wife.  He had lung cancer, which was from working as a ceiling installer (Asbestosis), and developed a very serious case of pneumonia on Sunday as well as other complications, unfortunately the Hospital tried everything they could for him.  He passed away about 2 hours ago, and I just got off of the phone with my sister and family.  Sad day.  Please stay safe folks.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 16

Encouraging signs after another fall in both the number of new cases along with the number of deaths giving further hope that we have reached the peak of this virus. 

Also encouraging to see the daily number of recoveries still exceeding the number of new cases. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Encouraging signs after another fall in both the number of new cases along with the number of deaths giving further hope that we have reached the peak of this virus. 

Also encouraging to see the daily number of recoveries still exceeding the number of new cases. 

And at last ventilators andicu patients down too. Great to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was attacked before for pointing out that if they published how many recover on daily basis news will look a lot less scary.

Funny enough , daily reports started to include recoveries and all over sudden recoveries are mote important than people testing positive and since Prayuts mention of “getting better” numbers testing positive also started to fall about 5% -8% each day

maybe a coincidence ?

• Like 2

NHSO gets ready for nationwide distribution of antigen test kits

The National Health Security Office (NHSO) has partnered with the Public Health Ministry and Government Pharmaceutical Organisation (GPO) to distribute 8.5 million Covid-19 antigen test kits (ATK) to hospitals and pharmacies across Thailand.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40004987

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

But what's next? Without a vaccination plan being executed, we will open up, and then what's to prevent another wave?

I think it’s unfair to say there isn’t a current plan when you look at the number vaccines successfully administered recently, consistently in the 400-500,000/ day. 

The data also suggest that at the current rate they may have 70% of the country vaccinated by the end of January, which if achieved would be a fantastic effort from where they started. 

https://covidvax.live/en/location/tha

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The news comes as Thailand is studying the possibility of injecting coronavirus vaccines under the skin to try to stretch its limited supply, a health official said on Thursday, as the country races to inoculate the public faster amid a worsening epidemic.

"Our previous experience shows that intradermal injections uses 25% of a muscular injection, but triggers the same level of immunity," head of the medical science department, Supakit Sirilak told reporters.

My immediate reaction to this brainwave was along the lines of <deleted>*&%!£<deleted><deleted>***^%&,deleted>, lol. But checking on the suggestion seems to show that it might not be a bad idea after all in situations where vaccine supplies are extremely limited. Personally, I think this needs a year or so of controlled testing in several countries, not a Thai syringe-jockey doing it at random like some oriental Harold Shipman, but they don't seem to be big on testing things or on patience here at the moment.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210802/Intradermal-administration-of-low-dose-mRNA-COVID-19-vaccine-induces-strong-immune-response-study-finds.aspx

11 minutes ago, BestB said:

I was attacked before for pointing out that if they published how many recover on daily basis news will look a lot less scary.

Funny enough , daily reports started to include recoveries and all over sudden recoveries are mote important than people testing positive and since Prayuts mention of “getting better” numbers testing positive also started to fall about 5% -8% each day

maybe a coincidence ?

Recoveries have been reported since last year butgood to see its now constantly increasing.

• Like 1

Wonder how much we can believe this? Seems like every time the PM makes a forecast, then the numbers follow. Either he is a medium or everything is bogus. At the same time many expert has been saying it will continue over 50k cases per day.

Not to take it wrong. Of course I am happy if it´s true. Just find it hard to believe over and over again.

• Like 1