COVID-19: Thailand reports 262 more deaths and 14,956 new coronavirus cases

webfact

55 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Absolute BS numbers…

It is simply not possible that Thailand could continuously vaccinate 20% more people every day than the UK could on its one off best day.

It’s a surprise, that’s for sure.

I wonder if the methods used are playing a part. In Thailand I often see big crowds gathered outside of vaccination centres due to a large number of people being given the same appointment time. They gather together in a Covid spreading huddle and then get squeezed one by one into a “holding”hall, vetted, and then one by one go to desks for a jab. Rather like a sheep dip process of funneling everybody through.

the UK never did anything like that I don’t think. The Covid spreading huddle outside the vaccination centre, doctors surgery or whatever, simply wouldn’t have been allowed. More likely they made appointments at 10 or 15 minute intervals to keep everybody separated. In which case the Thai method would have squeezed a lot of people through in a 10 or 15 minute spell. 

More recently I think there have been pop up vaccination centres in the UK that don’t need appointments, but I know my sister was vaccinated earlier than expected because there was a no show for an appointment at her doctors surgery and since she lived nearby, they called her in. Thailand doesn’t have that kind of individual appointment system.

just a guess, or maybe the numbers are BS. 

Edited by wensiensheng

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

They got Phuket wrong, says on the graph 238 but it was 204

Fair to say that it’s a moveable feast. I often noticed that the figures quoted in that graphic and the ones reported locally, don’t tally. Usually it’s because the ones in the graphic exclude actual sandbox cases, but maybe now antigen test results are causing bigger variances, or maybe it’s a misprint or maybe they are starting to lose track a bit. 

so many variances to reported numbers these days, it’s hard to say.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Vaccinations don't reduce infections rates all that much, primarily reduces mortality rates.

There are some finer details to that I think.

It depends which vaccines are being used, if Sinovac or Sinopharm then it will be more difficult to reduce a spread but if using AZ (70%+/-) or Pfizer (80%+/-) effective at getting an infection then the odds are far better. Moderna is apparently the highest against delta. Of course without other control measures then the virus will still run rampant in the people not yet jabbed and over the next few months vaccine waning comes into play so effectiveness reduces somewhat. 

A good measure currently however in Thailand is Phuket with over 26,000 international tourists arriving and only 0.3% of those having a positive test, ie enough viral load to be detected. So thats a huge positive.

14 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

We just got back from getting my (non-Thai) wife her first vaccination.  I registered her via the British Chamber of Commerce, and she got the appointment within 5 days of registering.  All handled very efficiently - she was in and out within an hour.  Free of charge - Astra Zeneca.  Dose #2 in November.

Congratulations, I know you've been trying to get her jabbed for a while now.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Stay safe folks, prepare for a possible uptick within 7 days or so, but then with the way the testing is being done, once again my view of only testing those that show up wanting a treatment location, I see the numbers continuing to slide downward or stay in the 14k range for awhile even as the deaths are in the 200 range.

I expect the number of cases to double and double again over the next couple of months before tapering off.

Whether they're measured in any accurate way is anyones guess, I suspect not.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

Almost 6 million doses of locally produced #AstraZeneca #COVID19 vaccines were delivered to #Thailand government in August. 10 million more doses of the vaccine will arrive in September, said Deputy Health Minister Sathit Pitutecha today (Thursday).

https://twitter.com/ThaiPBSWorld/status/1433342241825648645

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I see that the total number of cases in the country as well as Chonburi's saw a slight bump upwards in cases.  As anything these are subject to actual PCR testing being done and are most likely from walk-ins and those seeking treatment because they are ill and need some assistance.  I was talking to another westerner yesterday evening on the phone and his take on it as those seeking assistance by being placed in a facility are doing so because they want the support given, they want to be separated from a crowded family location so they do not get more ill, or they just want three square meals a day and a comfy place to stay for 14 days or so.  I had to laugh at the last part of his statement, but then in thinking about he he may be right.  I did return to Lumpini Park for my daily power walk yesterday evening and it was fairly empty, as many folks might not have gotten the message the parks had re-opened.  Only saw a few mask less runners, and the Park Police were quick to yell at them to mask up or leave the park.  This morning as I look at the freeway and the roads around us they are packed again, unlike on Monday and Tuesday of this week, so it appears most is back to normal.  Maybe @brewsterbudgencan tell us how the mall traffic was yesterday.

Stay safe folks, prepare for a possible uptick within 7 days or so, but then with the way the testing is being done, once again my view of only testing those that show up wanting a treatment location, I see the numbers continuing to slide downward or stay in the 14k range for awhile even as the deaths are in the 200 range.

REmember that they had to stop free quarantine for Thais returning from abroad because people were crossing the border to Laos and Cambodia to get two weeks free in a hotel.

• Like 2

Thailand cites positive results from Sinovac-AstraZeneca vaccine formula

BANGKOK, Sept 2 (Reuters) - Thailand's health ministry said on Thursday that its COVID-19 vaccine regimen of China's Sinovac (SVA.O) followed by British-developed AstraZeneca (AZN.L) was safe and successfully boosted immunity among its first 1.5 million recipients.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-cites-positive-results-sinovac-astrazeneca-vaccine-formula-2021-09-02/

• Like 1

Public Health defends ‘Mix & Match’ vaccination approach with Sinovac

The mixed vaccination with the first dose of Sinovac inactivated vaccine followed by the second dose of AstraZeneca viral vector vaccine is the basic standard of vaccination for Thai people in Thailand, said Public Health Permanent Secretary Dr Kiattibhoom Vongrachit as he defended the “mix and match” formula, its safety and efficacy in the prevention of severe cases or deaths among those vaccinated.

He, nevertheless, said that the Ministry of Public Health would procure more effective vaccines for the Thai people, which can cope with new variants of coronavirus.

But he noted that the research study on the “mix and match” vaccination, conducted by the Medical Sciences Department and the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj hospital is not published yet under the present circumstances and it will take some time.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/public-health-defends-mix-match-vaccination-approach-with-sinovac/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, anchadian said:

Phuket health authorities are reporting 204 new local cases , two cases from the Sandbox and no deaths. There are now 2,052 patients in care . The #PhuketSandbox has had 85 cases since 1st July #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1433221408037867520

I am going to the US next week and decided not to go the sandbox route. I found a ASQ hotel here in Pattaya for 28,000 Baht for 14 days 3 meals a day and 3 PCR tests and pickup from the airport. I thought that wasn't to bad so I am just going to go the ASQ route here in Pattaya plus after all of the reviews about the sandbox it didn't sound like a good deal. everyone stay safe because Covid is not going nowhere I think its here to stay

40 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I attended one of those big crowd events. Bang Sue. Had an appointment. First up the folk that work there are fantastic and work hard. Difficult job.

Point of my post is that (as expected) the paperwork took time.

In my case to obtain the appointment was online along with email confirmation.

When you attend you fill is basic form.

You then queue through stage 1,2,3... finally you get to the real paperwork section where you do ID etc. The fella had my passport for minutes. It also tool time for Thai. Finally you obtain a printout that has everything even which arm your receiving jab. Next is to waiting area for actual jab. 

To do 800k-900k+ jabs with that process is rubbish. Not possible 

I think when I went to get mine it was the same, and I think there were maybe 10 people actually giving the vaccinations (the bit prior to that with paperwork is not relevant as those people are not giving the jabs).   The actual vaccination part takes maybe 2-3 minutes, and there is only a 5-10 second gap between someone leaving the vaccination chair and the next person sitting down.    The 'jabbers' were never idle whilst people were sorting out paperwork as other people were taking care of that and they always had people in the waiting area to get the jab.  

So just where I was if you do the maths and say that 1 person can deliver probably 15 jabs per hour, and 10 people giving jabs over an 8 hour period would work out to 1200 in a day.   I heard they had about 900+ vaccination centres here so it is theoretically possible.   Depends on whether those other vaccination centres are as efficient as the one I went to.  

35 minutes ago, James105 said:

I think when I went to get mine it was the same, and I think there were maybe 10 people actually giving the vaccinations (the bit prior to that with paperwork is not relevant as those people are not giving the jabs).   The actual vaccination part takes maybe 2-3 minutes, and there is only a 5-10 second gap between someone leaving the vaccination chair and the next person sitting down.    The 'jabbers' were never idle whilst people were sorting out paperwork as other people were taking care of that and they always had people in the waiting area to get the jab.  

So just where I was if you do the maths and say that 1 person can deliver probably 15 jabs per hour, and 10 people giving jabs over an 8 hour period would work out to 1200 in a day.   I heard they had about 900+ vaccination centres here so it is theoretically possible.   Depends on whether those other vaccination centres are as efficient as the one I went to.  

I doubt there are 1,000 centers but even if there were then getting the distribution of vaccines from a supposedly limited supply to each of those centers in the right quantity is a huge logistical challenge.

Its also assuming that chain can be fed in such a meticulous way for 8 hours straight without delay or interruption.

And if it is that easy then why has no other country been able to achieve it. Remember those claimed figures would literally make Thailand the very best country (literally the best) in the world. That is the true comparison point.

On top of the complete incompetency from the authorities  you have seen so far do you really think a developing country would be more efficient or better at this than say USA, UK or Germany or Japan or any other similar countries who have become what they are based on their organisational and logistical skills?

Edited by Marvin Hagler
G
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

I doubt there are 1,000 centers but even if there were then getting the distribution of vaccines from a supposedly limited supply to each of those centers in the right quantity is a huge logistical challenge.

Its also assuming that chain can be fed in such a meticulous way for 8 hours straight without delay or interruption.

And if it is that easy then why has no other country been able to achieve it. Remember those claimed figures would literally make Thailand the very best country (literally the best) in the world. That is the true comparison point.

On top of the complete incompetency from the authorities  you have seen so far do you really think a developing country would be more efficient or better at this than say USA, UK or Germany or Japan or any other similar countries who have become what they are based on their organisational and logistical skills?

Amazing you haven,t mentioned this before !  Might even be time to leave your Aussie vantage point ,get back here and show us in Thailand that it’s all a pack of lies.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, James105 said:

I'll go to the other end of the scale. I went to a local hospital for my first Pfizer jab yesterday. Had to be there for 09.00 but arrived earlier. There was one piece of paperwork to complete which was just a few questions to answer then fill in one other that was the next appointment slip. One person doing the jabs which was quick and then wait for 15 minutes before coming home. The number of people for injections would certainly be no more than 20 whilst I was there. Five or so westerners and the rest was pregnant women.  Certainly was not going to run into the thousands!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The news comes as Public Health officials will accelerate the vaccination of people aged over 50 as a matter of urgency, after it was discovered that 80% COVID-19 related fatalities were people aged 50 and over

Absolutely <deleted> groundbreaking!!!

These people are a complete and utter shambles their complete and utter ineptitude is mind boggling, they are an absolute blight on their countrymen and responsibility for the shambles goes all the way to the top...

9 hours ago, anchadian said:

Phuket health authorities are reporting 204 new local cases , two cases from the Sandbox and no deaths. There are now 2,052 patients in care . The #PhuketSandbox has had 85 cases since 1st July #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1433221408037867520

Anchadian do you have access to official figures for the % of double vaxxed people in Phuket on 1st July and 1st September please.? 

I realise you are a busy man but I don't know where to look. 

Has the celebration started over only 14,500 cases every day?  IT didn't take long to get used to these numbers now did it?  

What are the chances of Thailand opening still?  Oh it's very poor?  Yes, thought so.  

This is one heck of a "flu".  Raging in the middle of summer.  Please note my sarcasm is on.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rott said:

Anchadian do you have access to official figures for the % of double vaxxed people in Phuket on 1st July and 1st September please.? 

I realise you are a busy man but I don't know where to look. 

Can't help you with figures for 01 July.

According to the latest report for yesterday (Aug 31), posted by PR Phuket at midday today (Sept 1), a total of 361,430 people in Phuket have received their second vaccination injection, and are considered “fully vaccinated” ‒ amounting to 77% of the original 466,587 target population to be vaccinated.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/hopes-high-worst-of-phuket-covid-outbreak-is-over-81252.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Grandmaster Prayut has instructed to stop doing so many test because we need to get case numbers down so l can open the country up and save (face) the economy, l will have daily cases back under 10,000 by next week and under 5000 soon after, l have told them to count cases same as dog years

Move Forward Leader Pita Limjaroenrat said he has documents which showed the Thai government petitioning the US Government to end the 1 country, 1 contract mandate for Pfizer because of infighting between Thai ministries.

How embarrassing this is, he said.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1433409950609334279

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Move Forward Leader Pita Limjaroenrat said he has documents which showed the Thai government petitioning the US Government to end the 1 country, 1 contract mandate for Pfizer because of infighting between Thai ministries.

How embarrassing this is, he said.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1433409950609334279

Embarrassing is the begging being done by this government. Looks like the homegrown vaccine fell way short and the others are way behind.   This is what happens when you try to save a few bucks it ends up costing you big money in the long run instead of being a smart purchaser. Especially when the money is going to fill somebody's pockets.

Details on proposed Pattaya “reopening” plan in October, other areas also proposed by Tourism Authority

Four more areas, namely Chiang Khan, Koh Kood, Koh Chang, and Koh Samet, are approved in principle to be added to the list of pilot areas under Thailand’s reopening plan within 120 days, according to the approval of the ministers at an online conference yesterday, September 1st.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/09/02/details-on-proposed-pattaya-reopening-plan-in-october-other-areas-also-proposed-by-tourism-authority/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Details on proposed Pattaya “reopening” plan in October, other areas also proposed by Tourism Authority

Four more areas, namely Chiang Khan, Koh Kood, Koh Chang, and Koh Samet, are approved in principle to be added to the list of pilot areas under Thailand’s reopening plan within 120 days, according to the approval of the ministers at an online conference yesterday, September 1st.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/09/02/details-on-proposed-pattaya-reopening-plan-in-october-other-areas-also-proposed-by-tourism-authority/

Big dreams and Face saving measures

7 hours ago, anchadian said:

Why they don't just say we will bring these measures in for long term tourists, 2+ month stayers. Stop this nonsense, either open up properly or bite the bullet and put the time, effort and funds into vaccinating the population as quick as possible. Vaccination is the key to turn this virus into a manageable disease. As shown in the Sandbox, vaccinated tourists are not the risk, unvaccinated locals are. Does anyone know of any other countries where tourists have to get all these documents, proofs of stay and CoE etc? And I mean proper tourists, not countries like Australia and New Zealand who won't allow tourists at the moment, just repatriation.

Edited by Petey11
  • Like 1

Thailand reports 14,652 new COVID-19 cases and 18,262 recoveries

COV3.jpg

REUTERS file photo 

Thailand on Friday (September 3) reported 14,653 new COVID-19 cases, 18,262 recoveries and 271 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1229899-thailand-reports-14652-new-covid-19-cases-and-18262-recoveries/

//CLOSED//

/Admin