Are expats being tempted by Thailand?

webfact

Thailand is great if you have a good marriage to a Thai... Makes life so much easier. Also being financially secure is a must. Depending on your age, but if say you retired here at 50, then you'd want zero debt, your properties fully paid up and depending on kids or no kids you'd need liquid assets of between USD2 and 5M parked off shore. Only bring in the cash you need for 12 months at a time. Leave the rest offshore. . Many do it on less but if you want to be comfortable then that's a good benchmark. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thailand talks a good talk, but falls flat when it comes to reality.  I know some people who looked at their investment visas, then came to the country, then passed Thailand by for the Philippines. Why? Because their elite visas are not as advertised (basically throwing your money away).  Their words.  Also, they did not feel that the country is that welcoming, the infrastructure has much to be desired, and outside of cars, things just seem to be low quality.

Now, they are not 100% sold on the Philippines either, but the financial they feel are far and above the Thai requirements.  And medical included they said. They also like Vietnam, but it doesn't have the visas yet.  That said, of the countries they visited, Vietnam was their favourite.  So who knows...

Moral of the story, Thailand is a big no for many reasons.  I live here with my wife, (followed her here). It's okay... but when I did the extension on marriage, oh my god, what a hassle. And another one coming up soon.  Thailand is okay, but if I was single and retiring, I think I would be like the rest of my family... been there, done that, no point in going back. My brother is retiring in the Philippines.  Some friends in Mexico.  Others in Latin America or the Caribbean... one thing everyone says about all of them, quality of life is awesome, bang for your buck is huge, and they like having you.... 

Thailand needs a lot of work to ever become a truly welcoming place for retirement. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Almer said:

Would help if Thailand had an arrangement regarding annual pension increases.

Absolutely.  A complete rip by the UK govt from pensioners who have paid the same contributions as others who get increments.  Now inflation is rearing its ugly head again, UK state pensions will be wiped out in a few short years. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I would hate to be treated like a third class citizen with no right to own land or my own business and always at the whim of surly and corrupt immigration officers to renew visas.

There is a well established, straight forward and inexpensive solution to own land if you are so inclined. Thousands of expats use it.

Immigration every 90 days is just a minor annoyance that is over and done with quickly if you're paying the right people.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Good post. Would be interested if you could let us know which countries you refer to.

Thai lady we know married to a uk guy did her initial report/interview and was stamped in for 18 months. Does the the 18 month interview gets another 18 months then applies for a uk passport.

• Confused 1