Local Astra Zeneca, is it safe?

steevjee

Considering thailand is accepting AZ donations from Japan, Bhutan and even Singapore (122,400 doses just this week), I'm not sure there's much "local" AZ in the system? The local manufacturer is supposed to be delivering 3 mm, or 6 mm, or fill in the blank mm doses per month, and 36 mm by the end of the year (Oct, Nov and Dec). But that manufacturer's production output is strangely never mentioned these days.

I think the current practice, and this changes hourly, is on shot of sinova or sinopharm, followed with a vaccine to be named later.

Maybe gift the GF a Moderna package?

• Like 1

The headline of this thread makes this a dumb question to answer it gives it credibility, I will resist from being sarcastic

Would any government in the world give their population a flawed or unsafe vaccine?

Why did governments lockdown their countries if not to protect their populations?

Thais love their conspiracy theories at every corner and many need  to get educated instead of listening to village gossip.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Considering thailand is accepting AZ donations from Japan, Bhutan and even Singapore (122,400 doses just this week), I'm not sure there's much "local" AZ in the system? The local manufacturer is supposed to be delivering 3 mm, or 6 mm, or fill in the blank mm doses per month, and 36 mm by the end of the year (Oct, Nov and Dec). But that manufacturer's production output is strangely never mentioned these days.

I think the current practice, and this changes hourly, is on shot of sinova or sinopharm, followed with a vaccine to be named later.

Maybe gift the GF a Moderna package?

The vast majority is locally made, and is in millions per month.

AZ is a top vaccine.

As yet Moderna isn't even in the country. and there's nothing so special about it anyway.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Can one get seriously ill, or even die from receiving a vaccine ?

It is possible yes, the chances are low but it can happen.

Fit people can have an adverse reaction and those with underlying symptoms can be vulnerable.

But the stats on it happening as apposed to those with no reaction is in the .000%

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

My wife's had sinofarm and getting her second in October.

They only have Pfizer for farangies, Sinovac & Sinofarm for Thais and reported deaths in our area from vaccines is zero. 

Sorry but not true. I’m a farang and I was given Astra Zeneca and I’m not dead lol. I suggest not to post things that are not true. Thanks 

13 minutes ago, wmlc said:

Sorry but not true. I’m a farang and I was given Astra Zeneca and I’m not dead lol. I suggest not to post things that are not true. Thanks 

I believe it to be true and talking about what's available in Sukhothai mush.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mfd101 said:

So in my 'immediate' family of 20 people eligible for vax, only 3 have so far been done & they were working in BKK. Only when people start getting seriously ill and dying in the village will they move on vax.

This is pretty much what is happening in my village now.

After trying hard to get any vaccine for months, I finally got to join the first group of locals for SV/AZ 4 weeks ago. They had provision for 1000 jabs but as it turned out, I was number 179 and they would be lucky to have had 50 more that day, Now, mainly due to all the returners from Bangkok, Pattaya etc there is a local outbreak and the subsequent vax days are over subscribed.

I'd rather be a bit sick from a vaccine than a whole lot sicker from Covid.

Incidentally, 66, 3 stents 10 years ago, type 2 diabetic 10 years - no side effects from both jabs.

I see OP's gf has relented, good news.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, EricTh said:

Different people react differently to different things. Just because you survived doesn't mean others did.

Some people did die of Astrazeneca way back in April in UK.  I am sure this is not 'rumors'.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56620646

Seven people have died from unusual blood clots after getting the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in the UK, the medicines regulator has confirmed to the BBC.

This is why youngsters get Pfizer and Moderna in the UK and oldsters get AZ

22 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Someone made a good point recently. People are scared sh*tless of the vaccine, "cos they don't know what's in it", but they're perfectly ok with taking pills/powder that they bought from a complete stranger in a nightclub!????

Some people 

• Like 1

My wife has already had her 2 AZ shots with no problems.  Just some minor pain.

The chances of something happening to you from a vaccine are much lower than actually getting the virus.  For instance 20% of the people who have had covid got blood clots compared to .01% from the vaccine.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 3:22 PM, steevjee said:

But she tells me that many people in Thailand have died after having the Astra Zeneca shot. I'm wondering if it's just silly rumours circulating in her village or if there is some truth to it.

And you believe that AN members can inform you?  Really. 
Unless a country publishes it's adverse reaction stats - well, you simply don't know.

Here, try this.  That's about as good as it's gonna get.

On 9/25/2021 at 6:31 PM, Andrew65 said:

You can still catch COVID whichever vaccine you've had. However, having had the vaccine makes it less likely that you'll get seriously ill or die from COVID (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong!). Also, we're starting to see that if you can prove that you're jabbed/double-jabbed, you can go places where you can't otherwise.

Correct

• Like 1

17 hours ago, itsari said:

Some people 

I'd check the Thai Department/Ministry of Health website and also proven and peer watched and reviewed organisations websites e.g. W.H.O.; Royal Medical Association - London, A.M.A Australia; etc for information on worldwide data on vaccines.

I had both AZ shots (Bumungrad) as a 64 year old, fairly fit man, with no co-morbidities and the only issue I had was a few very mild waves of nausea the next day, on the first round of my two shots. 

As usual, the key word in these discussions is "after". People have died "after" getting a vaccine, not "from" a vaccine.

Unfortunately, the rumour mill and misinformation in Thailand, although minor, is alive and well. 

On 9/25/2021 at 3:32 PM, Kwasaki said:

My wife's had sinofarm and getting her second in October.

They only have Pfizer for farangies, Sinovac & Sinofarm for Thais and reported deaths in our area from vaccines is zero. 

Both Pfizer and AZ are now widely administered to Thais. Some of my Thai friends and acquaintances who initially had Sinovac have had AZ as their 2nd.

did yr girlfriend tell you also that Petchabun is still deep-red-zone? meaning still many infectees and not under control yet... same as Bangkok! this is much more important, if yr girl would go outside this province she must quarantaine 2 weeks! this is more crucial info that she should share with you...

and don't believe all this nonsense that she hears, just gossiptalk!

I had my 2nd Pfizer 10days ago: didn't feel a thing! ????????

27 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Both Pfizer and AZ are now widely administered to Thais. Some of my Thai friends and acquaintances who initially had Sinovac have had AZ as their 2nd.

Yes I think that different provinces and even different parts of provincial areas do whatever I only stated what I know of New Sukhothai. 

No one is being jabbed at mo because of 1 metre of water outside the hospital. 

What a load of B******S I’ve had my AZ 2nd one this Friday Thais will believe anything they are told I would be amazed if anyone has died after having the AZ now if it was the Chinese vaccine that could be a different story anyway if you have been jabbed what is there to worry about you can still get Covid but hopefully it would be very mild due to your vaccines however nothing is guaranteed in life except death that none of us can avoid . Have a safe trip