Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp hit by outage: tracker

webfact

Facebook-outage_web.jpg

Facebook outage reports on Downdetector. (Photo by Tulip Naksompop Blauw)

Major social media services including Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp were hit by a massive outage on Monday, tracking sites showed, impacting potentially tens of millions of users.

Outage tracker Downdetector was showing outages in heavily populated areas like Washington and Paris, with problems being reported from around 1545 GMT.

Users trying to access Facebook in affected areas were greeted with the message: “Something went wrong. We’re working on it and we’ll get it fixed as soon as we can.”

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/facebook-instagram-whatsapp-hit-by-outage-tracker/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

Well, on a serious note: from what I read, this is not just some glitch caused by an update of a router gone wrong, this seems to be serious, affecting the company worldwide, despite the various datacenters they have for backup. 

So the two things that come to my mind:

1. If it can hit a company like Facebook with thousands of security and other system engineers, it can hit ANY company. Just gone through my bookmark list and found quite a few companies that when going offline, would have a huge impact on my life.
  2. During such an outage, we all have NO IDEA about the safety and security of our data. That is why as soon as FB, Instagram and WhatsApp are back online, I will change the passwords and force my family to do the same. 

I would guess that the smugness in the face of Zuckerberg is crumpling by now... first the leaking of all his documents and now this... funny to see twitter messages flying around with messages like "TikTok is working".. "Twitter does not have problems" and so on. 

Unfortunately, 2 days after the service is restored, the majority of users will have forgotten it, and only the politicians will go on fussing about it like they had any idea to start with...

• Like 2

While not quite "the emperor has no clothes", FB is a dying platform... but can do a lot of damage on it's way to obscurity...

"“Facebook is for old people” was the brutal verdict delivered by one 11-year-old boy to the company’s researchers, according to the internal documents."

"But Facebook’s research tells a clear story, and it’s not a happy one. Its younger users are flocking to Snapchat and TikTok, and its older users are posting anti-vaccine memes and arguing about politics.  "

https://www.yahoo.com/news/facebook-weaker-knew-123509841.html?.tsrc=fp_deeplink

Edited by Saddic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

Well, on a serious note: from what I read, this is not just some glitch caused by an update of a router gone wrong, this seems to be serious, affecting the company worldwide, despite the various datacenters they have for backup. 

So the two things that come to my mind:

1. If it can hit a company like Facebook with thousands of security and other system engineers, it can hit ANY company. Just gone through my bookmark list and found quite a few companies that when going offline, would have a huge impact on my life.
  2. During such an outage, we all have NO IDEA about the safety and security of our data. That is why as soon as FB, Instagram and WhatsApp are back online, I will change the passwords and force my family to do the same. 

I would guess that the smugness in the face of Zuckerberg is crumpling by now... first the leaking of all his documents and now this... funny to see twitter messages flying around with messages like "TikTok is working".. "Twitter does not have problems" and so on. 

Unfortunately, 2 days after the service is restored, the majority of users will have forgotten it, and only the politicians will go on fussing about it like they had any idea to start with...

The anonymous community of hackers own most of us. 

And we make it possible because of our vacant lifestyles.

2 minutes ago, RickyJB said:

Best thing to happen would be big tech coorperations down for good. The amount of hacking, snooping ,spying done by these fb, instagram, whatts app lot is out of order.  Couple of days ago, Putin threatened fb, i reckon his hackers gave zuckerberg a warning. Fb promoting paedofile groups, gender freak nonsense, and pushing the vax, and deleting anything opposing it.. when clowns like george soros has massive shares in it , new world order is their agenda.. someone swith fb off for good.. 

I expect that won't be too long. 

This glitch was just a warning.

The next one will permanent - FB and all their social media kin. 

Good Riddance!!

3 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Unfortunately, 2 days after the service is restored, the majority of users will have forgotten it, and only the politicians will go on fussing about it like they had any idea to start with..

More like 2 seconds

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Users trying to access Facebook in affected areas were greeted with the message: “Something went wrong. We’re working on it and we’ll get it fixed as soon as we can.”

I get this virtually every day on my first post

facebook cia.jpg

Edited by alant
fun