Who needs foreign tourists?

Guderian

50 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Pattaya, Samui, and Phuket are still devastated. A tiny fraction of what they used to earn, is being seen now. Sure, they see a few busy days here and there. But the economy is in tatters. Nobody knows how many millions are out of work right now. 

One of the barometers of an economy are the billboards. I drove 500 km. today, and likely saw well over 100 large ones, that were blank. Some were crumbling, it had been that long since they were used. Hundreds of companies unwilling, or unable to spend the kind of money on marketing to support that industry. 

The ripple effect is huge. Look for a 5-7 year recovery, and over 20% sustained unemployment. And likely under 5 million international tourists a year, five years from now. 

The economic sabotage, willful or not, has been historic. Let us hope the creeps will be held to account. Covid is but one part of the puzzle. 

Let's not forget, Thailand already had record household debt, pre covid.  Default rates will be huge.  

• Like 1

Maha got it spot on.

Central Pattaya is now a disgusting hell hole. No-one either notices or cares.

I've loved it for so many years, but to now see filthy shuttered  doors and excrement on the fragile footpath is not the way of a world class family venture.

I live East Pattaya where life continues well.

Not bagging Pattaya Central, but at the moment it is a dump.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, internationalism said:

foreign tourists do bring foreign currency, stay for several weeks, spend over 5k per day on hotel, services and goods. 

From today's TAT projection for 2022 domestic tourists are counted 5300b per day, but it's grossly overestimated.

I think for thai a fraction, around 1k per day, is realistic. They would travel in family 4+ or largish group, stay all in one bungalow or large room. It would be only 1 night during weekend or 3-4 night extended holiday.

Even with special offers on agoda those jomtien hotels are empty even during weekends  

Iam glad you added "I think" to your post because it certainly is not based on facts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Iam glad you added "I think" to your post because it certainly is not based on facts.

so what is domestic tourism spending in thailand now?

TAT projections for 5300b per trip (not per day, as I have wrongly put) per person is still overestimate.

But for foreign tourists average spending, in covid situation, will be higher, then before, because budget tourists won't be coming and because there would be longer stays. TAT estimates 43k per trip.

1 hour ago, southcoast said:

Do you really think that a few people down from Bangkok and other places are going to boost tourism, they mostly bring there own food, sit on the beach or the side of the road, maybe a few beers from 7-11, maybe buy a bit of food from local carts, stay 1 or 2 nights then go back again. Yes it is nice to see (Thai) people out and about but if you think that’s going to get Thailand tourism back to normal , sorry, your on the wrong planet, now who’s the stupid one!.

This is what I witnessed On Jomtien road. Twas a glorious weekend for sure. Thai folk love to back their vehicles up to the beach and break out the coolers with drink n food. Prolly drive down Sat mornin and book a room for 1 night. Street vendor's must of made some cha ching over the weekend. 

I pulled over on the scooter several times checking out the beach scene and saw only Thai's, although I'm sure there were some Farangs scattered in the mix. The road was at a snail's pace. Local Farangs chillin in their favorite hang out but a whole bunch of Thai folk lining the beach. Haven't been here pre-covid. Beach road must be a madhouse.

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Some of the hotel staff, taxi drivers, Tuk Tuk drivers, restaurant owners and staff etc etc, in Chiang Mai that I have spoken to over the past year, I think would differ with your view.

Yeah I agree... some  must be hurting. My Mrs just came back from the village and she brought 2 huge bags of rice and a cold box of prepared food for some kid from the village (from his family) who has a job at one of the well known hotels in Pattaya. He is working now, but reduced hours.

• Like 2

Answer to the OP's title - vendors who fail to satisfy the domestic tourism market.

Fool's folly to target seasonal int'l tourism for your survival when there's 70 million locals to cater to....everyday.