Immigration Want 20k. Again

I am so lucky in 25 yrs i have only once been asked for a bribe about 20 yrs ago i was driving in a bus lane cost me 500bht but was told i could stay in it.

I know this will sound pretentious,but my wife comes across as well educated and she in fact does have a couple of female lawyer friends so when she is with me even in immigration i get treated quite well ,mind you they more than likely think whats that well educated woman doing with that old falang fart.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Not bluffing, got a lawyer as a friend and one in the family. Never needed them as i got my paperwork in order.

That's the reason you never had problem as same as me as my paper work and bank 800k are in order same as guess yours 

Never had any attempt for money from immigration by this..

Also...not only I.O asking bribe is punishable but also paying a bribe.....

both active and passive bribe ...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Grayo46 said:

My sister-in-law lives in the neighbouring province (Saraburi) is there any law preventing me registering at her address and doing my visa there whilst really living at my current address? Having 2 addresses - as it were.

We did something like that. We used the in-law's address in BKK, but the reality is we were living at various different addresses around Thailand. We simply did not mention our other addresses; went back to BKK for the photos & police visit, and all was good.  This lasted for about 12 months until we got a more permanent home, and then changed to a different office.

The thing is, they *might* interview neighbors to double-check your story. We had our neighbors all lined up (FIL has good relationship with them) but in the end, the cops just interviewed our sister-in-law and we were approved with no problem. 

Make sure your room is all set up in the sister-in-law's house, with your clothing & personal items in case it is inspected. 

Edited by USNret

19 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

This happens quite often. You pay a corrupt official one time and you must continue.

They know you are a soft touch in these matters.

Sadly, they've got you where they want you. Non compliance this time could cause you problems. 

Unless you can move from the area and use a different immigration office, this could be happening to you every year,

that is terrible advice!

the OP can complain to firstly, the O/C of his office.

If no joy there, he can go to the head of Immigration in Bkk

the contact number will be on display in his Immigration Office

He does not have to pay this ridiculous fee.

13 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Pls report how it goes taking your lawyer to Immigration.

Interested in the result....

it will go very well!

most of these IO's are all bluff.

Stand up to them and they invariably back down.

Especially if you meet the criteria.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Grayo46 said:

Thank you. I know I am within the rules. It is blatant corruption. 

Grateful to all those who replied with suggestions. Though, I won't be hiring a lawyer haha

I doubt you have a valid visa in your passport, just an extension of stay stamp? If so that is why you cannot renew your visa legit as you don't have one. So you have to pay an agent every year until you get a valid visa in your passport.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Grayo46 said:

You are right. Naivety has cost me.

My sister-in-law lives in the neighbouring province (Saraburi) is there any law preventing me registering at her address and doing my visa there whilst really living at my current address? Having 2 addresses - as it were.

I don't think that would be wise if you remain where you are living with your family .

21 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

This happens quite often. You pay a corrupt official one time and you must continue.

They know you are a soft touch in these matters.

Sadly, they've got you where they want you. Non compliance this time could cause you problems. 

Unless you can move from the area and use a different immigration office, this could be happening to you every year,

I agree.. it’s like the book “If you give a mouse a cookie, then he'll ask you for a glass of milk, and then a straw…”

Once you start down that path - which i cede you probably didn’t initiate - it’s hard to get off.

If you are married to a Thai and have all required documents including Thai form of marriage registration and the 400k in a Thai bank account in your name as you said it is unlikely that the officer asked for 20k. If he did you must have received a receipt. If you did then this officer is in serious trouble, even in Thailand. Yes, there are cases where special money is required, but those are usually to solve issues where compliance with the law is not possible or not desired.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Grayo46 said:

Last year I changed from an Ed Visa to a Non-O and had to pay 20K to do so.

You didn't change anything, you are still on a non-ed visa, you just applied for an extension based on marriage.

So last year you paid 20k for the marriage extension, this year you want to do the same, so the IO expects the same 20k.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

Why does the PM allow these corrupt practices to be common place with Immigration officials???

Don't they see that this leads to Thailand being globally known as another corrupt south East Asian nation!!

In Thailand, the higher you go in the hierarchy, the greater the level of corruption. Ministers will not profit directly from the corruption at lower levels. However, they have many, many opportunities of their own, not least pocketing much of the profits from officials below them buying their positions (and the right to recover their investment). Corruption at high levels is not absolutely universal, but the exceptions are few and far between.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you go the lawyer route, your troubles may not be limited to immigration.  Annoy or scare them enough and physical things could happen - and they know where you live!

I think you're stuck with paying or moving provinces here.

19 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I am so lucky in 25 yrs i have only once been asked for a bribe about 20 yrs ago i was driving in a bus lane cost me 500bht but was told i could stay in it.

I know this will sound pretentious,but my wife comes across as well educated and she in fact does have a couple of female lawyer friends so when she is with me even in immigration i get treated quite well ,mind you they more than likely think whats that well educated woman doing with that old falang fart.

Cool. I have a special rock in my pocket and have always been treated extremely well at the immigration office as well. It's all thanks to the rock, I'm sure. I'm not trying to sound pretentious, it's just a really great rock.

• Confused 2

21 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Is it worth taking the risk?  Is there anything a lawyer could do without incriminating the OP?

Sounds a little catch-22.  He cannot begin anything legal without incriminating himself.

And what if this aggravates the IO or the whole office?  What methods do they have up their sleeve of making OP regret it?

19 hours ago, Grayo46 said:

Thank you. I know I am within the rules. It is blatant corruption. 

Grateful to all those who replied with suggestions. Though, I won't be hiring a lawyer haha

Use an agent in Bkk, through the post 15.000 “ so I am told”

It seems to me like the Official is just trying it on, you paid once, therefore a good chance you will pay again. If it was me I would politely tell the official that as you meet all the requirements with 400k in the bank and see no need to pay 20k again. Make sure you record any conversation. Insist on submitting your paperwork with the 1900 fee. And see what happens from there. You need to play a bit of hard ball. If he refuses, ask to see wwhoever is in charge. Basically, don't stand for any nonsense.

• Like 2

I agree with other posters. There is something you are not telling us about the first 20k fee you paid. Such a fee is either for using an agent or because in some way you couldn't comply (main reason for using an agent)  Such fees are usually paid to immigration in order for them to exercise the discretion they are permitted by the rules. Seems to me that you are asking for them to exercise such discretion again. These are fees not bribes! Guess you will have to pay the fee or fully comply.

• Like 1