Foreign pick-up driver involved in collision with motorcycle/ sidecar - Thai rider dead

webfact

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Never forget, they are local franchisees, not law enforcement officers. It is not uncommon to see a situation like this, with no resolution. 

It would seem likely and lucky the Police in  his situation recognized the other person was at fault which is why they did nothing. Had it been decided the other way around probably a different story despite any possible Insurance cover.

7 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

If the pickup has, as stated here, damage to the side, I assume    the Thai     swerved into a passing vehicle??

Never assume anything. A few years ago I had a m/c guy run into the side of my p/u trying to beat me to the u-turn up ahead. The damage was from the front door all the way back. Even the insurance assessor said it was the m/c guys fault. However the BiB had different ideas and I ended up having to take the rap mainly because the m/c guy was (1) in the army and (2) didn't have any insurance. I, of course, had the full blown insurance. If I hadn't taken the rap I was threatened with all sorts of things. Remember if you weren't in the country the accident would not have happened. 

• Like 2

Unless he has a camera on board,it will be all his fault.A witness may help if thai then less of a chance.I  hit a tok tok not my fault his light were faulty he was turning but no way i would know.

Anyway police come  thais around said nothing,all was sorted once i paid his ramson he just got his tok tok painted and i ended up paying for it,later i heard  a few stories  about what happened and i was stitched up.to repair the damage if lucky was maybe 200 baht and he knew it.So i hope  he gets all his ducks in a row otherwise he will be paying big money

14 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

You guys are forgetting the first rule of Thailand! 

Money #1,  someone, probably a relative of the deceased will be looking for a payout regardless of who is at fault.

Particularly when they realise a foreigner is involved.

Nah, we are not forgetting. Just been here to long to bring it in to the discussion every single time. It´s like something that goes without saying. Like it will rain this year. Prayut is going to change direction 50 times before he reach a conclusion that will be wrong anyway. Yeah, and so on.... you will finally get it..... ???? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Best not make assumptions. The driving of both locals and foreigners can sometimes be terrible here.

You would like to think that farang drivers would know better and drive well  but some of them are worse than the thais.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Then how come the police ruled in my favour when a car u-turned into me when i was riding?

Because the foreigners like to think they are never at fault and even if they are its the police who is unfair. (I am sure that in the UK / US people always agree with what the police says about an accident)

21 hours ago, robblok said:

What did you expect the police to do for you with someone who can't pay you for the damages. They can fine her that is about it. Do you want her in jail ? Its no fun to be left with damages but can't expect the police to be the ones that get the money for you. This is a problem between you and her or between your insurance and her (best option)

Of course you can't get blood from a stone.

What he could have done is charge her for wreckless driving - which is what, I presume, they tried to do to me when some woman hit me and fell off her bike. To be fair, even though she wasn't looking where she was going (physically, she had her head turned 90 to speak to the passenger) it was my fault, and I stopped and offered to pay for her broken wing mirror, the whole family and police turned up - the woman couldn't produce a license or valid tax - and begrudgingly accepted 500B - then to my surprise the police officer wanted to take me to the station to formally charge me - not too sure why, and after being told to do one, he backed down. He wasn't interested in the woman's lack of tax or DL situation. So there are laws in this country, its just selective who they apply them to.

However, I don't subscribe to the 'farang at fault' - 'farang pay' theory - although I have never had another accident in 15 years or so, I have always been treated fairly by the clowns in brown.

Edited by recom273

17 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I have 1st class insurance, what is 5 star ?

In my case class 1 insurance stops when your vehicle reaches 7 years of age, i was told 3rd party only after 7 years with a top up to  reach same  as class 1 .....crazy ideas

Just now, actonion said:

In my case class 1 insurance stops when your vehicle reaches 7 years of age, i was told 3rd party only after 7 years with a top up to  reach same  as class 1 .....crazy ideas

Yeah mine too but I was asking what 5 star insurance is.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Because the foreigners like to think they are never at fault and even if they are its the police who is unfair. (I am sure that in the UK / US people always agree with what the police says about an accident)

That’s a serious comment is it?

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

What he could have done is charge her for wreckless driving - which is what, I presume, they tried to do to me when some woman hit me and fell off her bike. To be fair, even though she wasn't looking where she was going (physically, she had her head turned 90 to speak to the passenger) it was my fault, and I stopped and offered to pay for her broken wing mirror, the whole family and police turned up - the woman couldn't produce a license or valid tax - and begrudgingly accepted 500B - then to my surprise the police officer wanted to take me to the station to formally charge me - not too sure why, and after being told to do one, he backed down. He wasn't interested in the woman's lack of tax or DL situation. So there are laws in this country, its just selective who they apply them to.

However, I don't subscribe to the 'farang at fault' - 'farang pay' theory - although I have never had another accident in 15 years or so, I have always been treated fairly by the clowns in brown.

Sure he could have charged her for that, and that is the max he could do. Just pointing out that its not the police his or her job to collect money. I am sure they do at times if its an easy thing. But its not their job. Point being that sure he could have come down hard on the woman but as you said its hard to get blood from a stone and he knows it. They are just lazy its not a racism thing its a lazy attitude taking theeasy way.

I also dont believe the farang is always fault, been in accidents and never been treated unfairly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

That category of driving wouldn't cut it at a demolition derby !

4 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

How inadequate....

What if something falls from the sky?

Yes sir !, great idea.  I know someone who parked under a coconut tree in his new truck, guess what happened , that's right one coconut fell and dented his truck.   and another camera is needed in the interior facing out towards the driver side to record your interaction with the police.

Edited by thaitom
spellig correction

22 minutes ago, thaitom said:
4 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

How inadequate....

What if something falls from the sky?

Yes sir !, great idea.  I know someone who parked under a coconut tree in his new truck, guess what happened , that's right one coconut fell and dented his truck. 

I had laid down in the shade on a Puerto Vallarta beach years back and was napping contentedly when....

Yep, one big nut impacted a pair of smaller nuts.

Talk about a rude awakening.

On 10/16/2021 at 11:59 AM, robblok said:

What did you expect the police to do for you with someone who can't pay you for the damages. They can fine her that is about it. Do you want her in jail ? Its no fun to be left with damages but can't expect the police to be the ones that get the money for you. This is a problem between you and her or between your insurance and her (best option)

Dos he want her in jail ? more like a public flogging i would imagine

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Nah, we are not forgetting. Just been here to long to bring it in to the discussion every single time. It´s like something that goes without saying. Like it will rain this year. Prayut is going to change direction 50 times before he reach a conclusion that will be wrong anyway. Yeah, and so on.... you will finally get it..... ???? 

Pleased you've not forgot.

• Haha 1