Rejoice elderly Farangs.

swissie

3 hours ago, swissie said:

No major war in the northern hemisphere for 70 years.

So, what do you call the Gulf War? Somali Civil War? Kosovo War? Vietnam war? Korean War? Ethiopian Civil War? War in Darfur? Syrian Civil War?

All minor tiffs?

To declare no major war is to suggest either a lack of historical knowledge, or an incurable pollyannaism.

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Heres a prediction for you, those over 65 now will not be here in 10 yrs unless wealthy.

The changes to immigration policy, insurance requirements, value of currency, will see a huge number forced to return to thrir place of origin.

Another "Golden age" of retiring to a foreign sunny land will disappear and be beyond the grasp of most.

Thank you very much for this heads-up, providing me enough time to get on to Forbes 400. 

Take care, Charlie! 

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

On the other hand, have you ever rafted down the Mississippi? 

I contemplated it but couldn't find a run away slave to do the hard work. And anyway the Dauphine and his companion are long gone.

3 minutes ago, Denim said:

I contemplated it but couldn't find a run away slave to do the hard work. And anyway the Dauphine and his companion are long gone.

So many slaves in America... 

And you couldn't find even one? 

Maybe you are not the Twain scholar that you purport yourself to be. 

24 minutes ago, Oxx said:

So, what do you call the Gulf War? Somali Civil War? Kosovo War? Vietnam war? Korean War? Ethiopian Civil War? War in Darfur? Syrian Civil War?

All minor tiffs?

To declare no major war is to suggest either a lack of historical knowledge, or an incurable pollyannaism.

Several days ago, I used the term Pollyannaism. 

If you don't believe me, please search on TV. 

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Korea, Vietnam, Kuwait, Afghanistan, Iraq.

I knew people of my  "golden" generation who didn't come home from these Northern Hemisphere wars.

Coincidence that all those conflicts had America as the protagonist ?

Don't think so ...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Heres a prediction for you, those over 65 now will not be here in 10 yrs unless wealthy.

The changes to immigration policy, insurance requirements, value of currency, will see a huge number forced to return to thrir place of origin.

Another "Golden age" of retiring to a foreign sunny land will disappear and be beyond the grasp of most.

How old will I be in another 10 years? 

So, does it really matter? 

12 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Ok. That's NY slang right? 

I lived on an ethnic street in NYC - one guy got greased - - but he sure deserved it... 

LOL,  I like the way your mind works. 

You are right, In the lower east side that would have a totally different meaning. ???? 

Edited by sirineou

43 minutes ago, seedy said:

Coincidence that all those conflicts had America as the protagonist ?

Don't think so ...

You are mainly correct and my Southern Hemisphere country, Australia, meekly followed in to all those wars.

The hundreds who died are just as dead as those killed in WW2. I

This forum isn't yet completely Anglicized is it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Will have to disagree, partly

As an over 65 I expect to be dead before age 75 (like all my pals), so I'll still be here but as ashes.

I don't believe immigration (easier than ever before), insurance (I don't have any) or western currency will change all that much, if anything western currency will only rise against the Baht.

Are you sure? 

IF you die at such an early age, then will you, do you think, go the same way as Winston Churchill's father? 

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Did you mean Pinker from McGill? 

I was there when Pinko was there. 

Pinker is smart. 

Pinker studied at McGill around 1976. 

Since then he has had 4 or 5 best sellers aside from his successful academic career.

So I think you are safe to say he is smart.

I plowed through his 800 page "Better Angels"; he is very optimistic although he says he is realistic.

And that book is not based on opinion but interpretation of statistics; numbers of course never speak for themselves, always need interpretation.

My biggest criticism is that in "Better Angels" he attributes the song "Who Do You Love?" to Ronnie Hawkins when it was in fact written by Bo Diddley. (He was misled by the movie "The Last Waltz").

Pinker is an interesting guy, not shy about the spotlight.

Has a sense of humor, refers to intellectuals like himself as the "chattering classes".

1 minute ago, cdemundo said:

Since then he has had 4 or 5 best sellers aside from his successful academic career.

I plowed through his 800 page "Better Angels"; he is very optimistic although he says he is realistic.

And that book is not based on opinion but interpretation of statistics; numbers of course never speak for themselves, always need interpretation.

My biggest criticism is that in "Better Angels" he attributes the song "Who Do You Love?" to Ronnie Hawkins when it was in fact written by Bo Diddley. (He was misled by the movie "The Last Waltz").

Has a sense of humor, refers to intellectuals like himself as the "chattering classes".

Personally, I just love his curly hair. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Were you in Montreal around 1972? 

I didn't see you there. 

Maybe you were too busy taking a leak against a city wall in Montreal. 

You obviously have not read The Fourth Turning.  If you had you'd understand where we are in that cycle (don't get too comfortable) and why other generational archetypes can't stand 'Boomers.' 

A time for rejoicing? I think not.

The golden age the OP describes has been built upon recklessly accumulated sovereign debt, exploitation of black, brown, and yellow labor, the pillaging of the environment at the expense of future generations, and, as others have pointed out, conflicts having been fought in distant lands.

When you consider the enormous debts our generation will leave behind, the global inequities in income and wealth, not to mention the shameful condition we are leaving the planet in, it's scarcely a time for rejoicing. What's called for isn't complacency and self-congratulation, but redoubled efforts to be charitable, to reduce our environmental impact, and to make the world a more equitable place for those who have suffered because of exploitation, disadvantage, and environmental degradation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

A time for rejoicing? I think not.

The golden age the OP describes has been built upon recklessly accumulated sovereign debt, exploitation of black, brown, and yellow labor, the pillaging of the environment at the expense of future generations, and, as others have pointed out, conflicts having been fought in distant lands.

When you consider the enormous debts our generation will leave behind, the global inequities in income and wealth, not to mention the shameful condition we are leaving the planet in, it's scarcely a time for rejoicing. What's called for isn't complacency and self-congratulation, but redoubled efforts to be charitable, to reduce our environmental impact, and to make the world a more equitable place for those who have suffered because of exploitation, disadvantage, and environmental degradation.

Your last sentence is right, but never going to happen, IMO.

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

All minor tiffs?

I think he was only referring to western people dying in large numbers in pointless wars like WW1.

• Like 1