Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

I had a 5 year drivers licence, last month renewed for another 5 years but still doctor's 'medical certificate' was needed. I had to go and see some doc in a clinic for that and returned quickly!

maybe it had to do with my age, I just turned 72!

I don't mind new threads of drivers licence stories, because every time some things change. 

the app needed to make an appointment is not needed when renewing, then you can just walk in.

had to watch a movie online with some easy questions.

movie didn't play on my phone so they asked me to watch the movie in the room.

halfway they called me for actual renewing, I smiled at everyone, had some witty remarks with the ladies that made them smile and I was out in no time!

amazing T'land 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

Did it yesterday. Arrived Mor Chit 7:30 walked out with new licence 9:20. My Thai wife was doing it at the same time and I beat her by about 5 minutes.

Went to a local driving centre for the video and to check the paperwork. Well worth the 200 baht as they advised against the local DLT without appointment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UKJASE said:

why post a ten year old thread on todays email newsletter?!

i read the OP thinking it was current news.....  luckily i read the date, eventually

a bit misleading guys

It's still relative. Just because a thread started years ago, new things and updates are added that keep it going and impart information to the members. Each province also dies things differently in what they accept as far as your paperwork. Some accept the pink ID card and yellow house book while others like In BKK want a COR only.

On 3/13/2013 at 11:41 AM, patsfangr said:
I went for renewal of my 5-year driver's license today. When it was all over, and I reflected upon it, I was pleasantly surprised by the relative ease of the process.
Car insurance

I got there at about 0800, and waited at the door of the building for the 0830 opening. They opened the doors at about 0820 (yes, EARLIER than posted), and I got my ticket, #105, for the "foreigners" group. The numbers began at 100. They started calling the numbers to go up to the 2nd floor at 0830. It was about 0840 when my number was posted on the sign.

Upstairs, they checked my paperwork, and I learned that you need copies of BOTH sides of your expiring license. A quick trip outside to the shop across the way, and a 2 baht fee later, I was back upstairs. (By the way, what is needed for a 5-year renewal is copies of your passport pages - front and visa, a copy of your current 5-year license - front AND back, and the original of the Residence Certificate that you have to get from Immigration prior to going for the renewal. You will NOT need a medical certificate, as previously required.)
Best vacation packages

After getting the OK on my paperwork, I was given a red card for the next station. At that station, I was immediately sent to the small testing area (an open cubicle of about 10' x 10') where about 20 people are lined up along 2 sides for testing. The tests run were: 1. Color chart - the girl points a stick to circles of red, green, and yellow; and you must say which color each circle is. 2. Peripheral color vision - you put your chin on a box, look at a yellow dot in front of you, and identify the colors she flashes on each side of your head. 3. A depth perception test - you hold a box, with red and green buttons on it, look at the box in front of you that has 2 "sticks", one red, one yellow. She starts movement of the red stick from the back to the front, and you press the green button when you believe the 2 to be parallel. 4. A reaction test - you step on an "accelerator" pedal, and, in a couple of seconds, a row of green lights starts to move up. You must move from the accelerator to the brake pedal to stop the lights before they reach the top of the scale.

After passing those 4 tests, I was sent to a "Training Room", with a TV up front that is running a video of driving rules. In fact, this is obviously just a waiting area to allow them to enter the information onto your new license card, minus the photo. A bit later, regardless of how much of the video you've seen, they call you out to pay your fee (605 baht), and give you a ticket to await your photo. When called, you enter the cubicle for your photo, they take the picture, and have you wait outside. A couple of minutes later, they call you back in, and give you your new license and receipt for payment.
Car insurance

The "Training in the room with tv/video, you can do in advance online at home...

DONE! In my case this morning, the total time from entry to exit of the building was about 1 hour and 50 minutes. Not bad, considering that TIT!

Oh, by the way, the new license is very nice. Good plastic stock, and very attractive appearance.

On 7/25/2024 at 5:11 AM, henwoj said:

Renewing five-year license, I have yellow book and pink ID card - is certificate of residency from immigration still needed?

Yes still need. if you renew car and morotcycle licenses both, you can use 1 original and 1 copy.  But...better ask at the office before because as many things, it could be different...

Edited by Sjoerd
spelling fault

My experience renewing 5year licences for car and motorcycle in Prakon Chai

(Buri Ram province)

Today 31 July 2024

First granted 2007 or 2550.

Expired 25-6-2024 

New expiry 25-6-30

Before login and do 1hr online course Elearning, answer 4 questions.

Two days

1st Day- Government office Ban Kruat proof of residence.(same as is printed on old licenses)

Hospital 2 trips for medical certificate. Doctors only on after 3pm. (Pay)

Photo copy x 3 (1 each licence , Passport, Visa  (new 60 day on arrival) stamp and spare)

2nd Day 

Drive to Pra Khon Chai transportation department after 11am as instructed over the phone , only Thai for online booking.

Hand all  the paperwork and old licenses show Elearning receipt on my phone over the counter sit down and wait.

Call up much signing must be blue pen,wife is getting annoyed.

Sit back down 

Call up for colour test , red yellow green , brake reaction test and line up 2 small posts.

Then put your head on the bench and pick the white light , right or left eye.

Looking good.

All good nope ,they now need immigration paperwork due to a missing number on the home address from the government office.

We leave and head to Buri Ram (wife is not happy) Immigration located in the race track. (pay)

Get the paperwork,rush back as the office closes at 3.30pm.

Prakhon Chai

Walk in hand paperwork to the same staff ,more signings , fee paid , photos taken and walk out with both licenses.

Summary

This was not a pleasant experience.

I was very polite and accommodating trying to smile ,thanking everyone.

However the positive was using the new 60day on arrival stamp in my Australian passport.

It may have been easier if I had a yellow book,who knows.

hi there

anyone got information of how to renew my 5  year  driving licence on koh Phangan?

do i have to travel to Samui to do this?

i know i  need copies.etc but do i also need medical certificate? 

if so where do i get this as i assume it has to be the same day?

Do i need to do the online thing too before  going    ?

do i need to book an appointment or can i just turn up?

Thanks                                                          

My experience at Ranong DLT.

I was out of the country for an extended period and my licence had already expired four years ago.

I thought I would be able to just get a new one like I did 16 years ago by just getting my existing western licence transferred over but besides the visual tests etc I had to do the written and practical driving test as well, like I had done some 60 years ago at home.

The peripheral vision one was a new one for me.

I previously had problems last time with the depth of field test mainly because the test was following an eye operation where unbeknown to me Specsavers had failed to correct my longtime astigmatism, and my vision was blurred.

This time I found the test easy it was just a matter of matching the light/shadow pattern from the first pin onto the second pin.

I aced the 50 multiple choice road rule questionnaire in 1/4 of the allotted time mainly because of studying examples on website thai-exam.com

The practical test was a different matter as I am used to driving with the rear camera and parking sensors but passed second time.

The process from getting a resident certificate which depended on getting a letter from the DLT requesting visa information by post from Immigration to actually getting the 5year licence took me a month and it was only 2 days before my 3-month limit on driving on an International Permit/Home Licence expired.

All in all, it was a rewarding experience and I learnt a lot that I didn't know before about Thai driving rules.

hello 2 question, better here than open a new tread

I have licence since 1998  at moment 5 year valid

if it expire , and i have only entry stamp ( visa exempt)  i get 5 years or i need a non-o or dtv??

please answer only if sure 🙂

and how long can apply  3 month before expire and how long after expire & month ??

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2024 at 9:19 AM, khunpeer said:

I had a 5 year drivers licence, last month renewed for another 5 years but still doctor's 'medical certificate' was needed. I had to go and see some doc in a clinic for that and returned quickly!

maybe it had to do with my age, I just turned 72!

I don't mind new threads of drivers licence stories, because every time some things change. 

the app needed to make an appointment is not needed when renewing, then you can just walk in.

had to watch a movie online with some easy questions.

movie didn't play on my phone so they asked me to watch the movie in the room.

halfway they called me for actual renewing, I smiled at everyone, had some witty remarks with the ladies that made them smile and I was out in no time!

amazing T'land 🙂

No Everybody now has to have a medical.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 10:11 AM, henwoj said:

Renewing five-year license, I have yellow book and pink ID card - is certificate of residency from immigration still needed?

No a residency cert. should not be necessary but some don't know the law yet. it's worth a call to them to find out, I was refused one time and simply got my wife to Phone another office who said it was OK so we went there.

On 7/26/2024 at 11:56 AM, Sjoerd said:

Yes still need. if you renew car and morotcycle licenses both, you can use 1 original and 1 copy.  But...better ask at the office before because as many things, it could be different...

As said it depends where the office is, I did mine with my book and card, my license has my pink card number, so any new passport it don't matter.

On 8/5/2024 at 10:21 AM, lapamita said:

hello 2 question, better here than open a new tread

I have licence since 1998  at moment 5 year valid

if it expire , and i have only entry stamp ( visa exempt)  i get 5 years or i need a non-o or dtv??

please answer only if sure 🙂

and how long can apply  3 month before expire and how long after expire & month ??

thanks in advance

Always go after your Birthday that way you get nearly 6 yrs. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Always go after your Birthday that way you get nearly 6 yrs. 

Yes indeed but my licence runs out on my birthday so if i don't renew until after i am driving without a current licence and my insurance would be invalid.

Best course of action is to NOT drive until you have renewed imo.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Has anyone in the Hua Hin area recently renewed their Driver's License in Pran Buri or Cha Am DLT office?  Was it busy/crowded at the time you renewed?  How long did the process take?  Many thanks in advance.

On 8/14/2024 at 5:45 PM, brianthainess said:

No a residency cert. should not be necessary but some don't know the law yet. it's worth a call to them to find out, I was refused one time and simply got my wife to Phone another office who said it was OK so we went there.

Update. Renewing at Chonburi DVLT front desk accepted yellow book / pink ID card, only had to agree changing license number from passport to ID card digits. Did tests, etc. Long wait to make payment and get licenses BUT was told “big boss” does not accept yellow book and I must have residency letter from immi. Sorted. Next day no need for test, straight to processing licenses. Was told that if yellow book used license is for only two years (not five) and limited to district of issue. Knowing this, would recommend to always use passport, even when getting fresh license, DVLT is familiar with immi letter, cut out any confusion, done & dusted for next five years.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, henwoj said:

Was told that if yellow book used license is for only two years (not five) and limited to district of issue.

Thanks for the update, but I have a 5 yr license using the pink card, the problem is that pink card rule about 'District of Issue', is only for foreigners from neighboring countries with work permits. As usual the 'Boss' does not no the law. I first found this out from my City DVLT, when registering a car, one woman there 'the boss' insisted on a Res. Letter, although the other lady there said it was OK a long story really but here I go, first trip, got the nice lady, come back Thursday pm. for your new plates, I went on Fri morning instead, different woman ''no can not'' my wife even rang the Amphur who issued it, and they spoke to her Nah, went to immigration and explained to them, they even rang her, no they were not having it (lose of face ? ) Time was running out before DVLT closed, so immigration made the LR in 5 min (free as it is) normally a 3 day wait. I have sworn never to go to that office again (when I got back the nice lady was there "why you not come yesterday"

so when I wanted to re-new my DL, I found out the DVLT office 25klm further out of town accepted it. (got my missus to ring them). 

• 2 weeks later...

If anybody knows, how long after expiry of a 5 year license can it be renewed without too much trouble (Bangkok), I'm not interested in doing actual tests.  I've been told 1 year and I've been told 5 years but would like to make sure one way or the other before making plans.  Mine expired in 2021.  I do have a valid UK license.