Tourism Ministry Launches ‘Thailand Trusted Destination’ Campaign

webfact

On 1/1/2022 at 11:52 AM, Misterwhisper said:

It truly is getting more ridiculous by the day.

Who are visitors going to complain to when they have been scammed, overcharged, screwed over, taken advantage of? Your dancing elephant?

And what happened to the "Fast Track", tourist local complainst courts? 

• Like 1

How about the Ministry of Tourism and Sports  being renamed as "TAT"? (The Tosh and Twaddle Department)

Another new day, another new scheme that will no doubt be replaced by another new scheme tomorrow!

image.jpeg.1618390ada6db1d3d36890b1c57a07ba.jpeg

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

With regard to promoting "Fareness"

Does Than Bok Khorani National Park, mentioned in the story, offer the same fare admission prices for all visitors ?

"Same fare admission prices"? Yes, that's an annoying issue. I have avoided going to parks for years because of this. The farang entry prices always remind me that so many Thais look at Farangs as an automatic and inexhaustible source of cash. I find that attitude really ugly.

During the first years with my wife, we went a number of times "pai thiao" with full loaded cars - full loaded, that is, with family members. And guess what, not a single time anyone of them had 10 bahts in the pocket, they always expected me to pay for absolutely everything. And my wife's family are by and large nice people, there is much worse around....

These last few years, my wife herself put a stop to all those excursions, I must say. She must have gone through some obscure Thai way of thinking about it all, coming to the decision that I had paid my due!

There is worse, actually, I've been a few times around in India and the admission prices to sites are absolutely ridiculous, so much more for foreigners than for locals.

I've said a few times that Thailand has serious competition around the world when it comes to nice and interesting places to go. Mexico, for example. and besides everything else, Mexico does not have special entry prices for foreigners, as far as I can remember. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gejohesch said:

"Same fare admission prices"? Yes, that's an annoying issue. I have avoided going to parks for years because of this. The farang entry prices always remind me that so many Thais look at Farangs as an automatic and inexhaustible source of cash. I find that attitude really ugly.

During the first years with my wife, we went a number of times "pai thiao" with full loaded cars - full loaded, that is, with family members. And guess what, not a single time anyone of them had 10 bahts in the pocket, they always expected me to pay for absolutely everything. And my wife's family are by and large nice people, there is much worse around....

These last few years, my wife herself put a stop to all those excursions, I must say. She must have gone through some obscure Thai way of thinking about it all, coming to the decision that I had paid my due!

There is worse, actually, I've been a few times around in India and the admission prices to sites are absolutely ridiculous, so much more for foreigners than for locals.

I've said a few times that Thailand has serious competition around the world when it comes to nice and interesting places to go. Mexico, for example. and besides everything else, Mexico does not have special entry prices for foreigners, as far as I can remember. 

During the first years with my wife, we went a number of times "pai thiao" with full loaded cars - full loaded, that is, with family members. And guess what, not a single time anyone of them had 10 bahts in the pocket, they always expected me to pay for absolutely everything. ...

When I first met my wife, and she asked me to go to Esan to meet her family and friends, I was "forewarned" by an American mate of the dangers of the above. Apparently, he had undergone a similar situation except that when he got to the village, there was very little to eat in the house, so he offered to go to the nearest supermarket a few miles away in his truck, and do some shopping. This proposal was greeted with joy, and his wife asked if he could take one ot two neighbours with them as they also needed to go shopping, but they had no transport - just motor bikes, and as he had a "Ranger" truck, they would be plenty of room, and they would be able to "stock up". 

Well, you can probably guess the rest of the story. Without going into all the details (As he put it "they had more tricks than a circus dog!") they stocked up all right - trolleys and baskets full to the brim, and he ended up paying for everything as everybody mysteriously disappeared at the "checkout"!

Anyway, advice well heeded as I told my intended that I would take the family (and friends and neighbours) out for dinner (which cost me less  than 1000 baht) so I was not branded as tight fisted ("keen yao?"), but I was not being a food supplier for the village or a walking ATM! A suggestion that was accepted (reluctantly?), but I can remember that not one of them said "Thank you" after the meal! Needless to say, it didn't happen again!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sambum said:

..... so I was not branded as tight fisted ("keen yao?")

It's "khi niao" hahaha (cannot mark the tones in farang script). Means "someone who's got sticky fingers" or sthg close. It's truly amazing that Thais being so obsessed with money and nearly always depending on farangs to pay dare call farangs "khi niao"!

10 minutes ago, sambum said:

....... but I can remember that not one of them said "Thank you" after the meal!

Another annoying thing indeed. But to be honest, my wife's family and friends are more gracious than that and have (at times) expressed their thanks for the food, the drinks etc.

Sounds like they're just warming up the "Safe and Trusted Thailand" campaign. Hardly very innovative.

Also, I doubt the typical tourist wants to hear about their great measures - ultimately they are just getting in the way of enjoying a vacation.

On 1/1/2022 at 11:15 AM, webfact said:

Participating venues will be granted the dancing elephant logo, which represents cleanliness, safety, fairness, good management, and green practices.

Have you ever seen how much poop an elephant can make?
Now - feel free to draw analogies.  :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, tonysilly said:

Fairness? Tell tourists police to stop harrrsing tourist. Following Farangs until they put the bio degradable cigarettes in the street.  Since there are no trash can anywhere. 

Take out those african drug dealers in soi 15 Sukhamvit in front of 7/11 

The cigarette littering scam has been going on since Moses wore short pants.

I doubt the local Police would want to stop any revenue stream that they control either, including scams and African drug dealers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gejohesch said:

How is giving locals a discount ‘unfair’?

Confusion and more confusion, when will they stop these ridiculous ideas or renaming same approach, get off your high horse and smell the morning coffee.

Thailand is not the destination that tourists will sacrifice weeks of life in quarantine     

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Agree with all, except what's above.   Why would a tourist care how expats are treated, or the reverse, unless expat manages a business catering to.

Who bases their holiday decisions of that.  Nobody would ever travel, if people considered how any one segment of a population in any country was treated.

I've never agreed with a statement more.  Whipping up the froth of expat care will do nothing to deter tourism.

What will do harm to tourism is going after "high class" tourists but that probably won't matter anyways.  The younger generation wants to go to Bali, not to Thailand.  IT's not on young people's radar anymore.  

Thailands only hope is indeed India and China.  China will not be returning anytime soon, even after the pandemic ends.  Mark my words on this.  

• Like 1

Seems they think what happens in Thailand stays in Thailand.

Unfortunately rumours have been spreading last 20 years about overpricing, dual pricing, corrupt police, visa or no visa. It's a mess. Everyone I know I have been telling the truth about Thailand and it's mostly not for most people

• Like 1