Passport held by shady agent for 8 months - please help

7 hours ago, bobandyson said:

The above info is what I got from an agency in Pattaya. Hand over PP and pick up 2 weeks later? No thanks.

Jan 4th at CW I met an agent to get a retirement ext. First we went to photo copy pages in PP. Then to the bank to open account with 800,000b.

Then to immigration. No ticket, just walked straight in (Fast Track). A few signatures were needed. Had photo taken by them as usual so had to attend (and I preferred to anyway). PP stamped with ext. and then it was back to the bank to extract 800,000b.

The whole process took just over an hour and most of that was spent in the bank opening an account with signing forms and photo copies.

My agent had my PP almost all of the whole time from start to finish and not once was she ever out of my sight. 

So not a marriage extension then.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Same as retirement just more expensive- they pay under the table for people who do not have the funds in the bank

800K sat in a bank doesn't give much of a chance to use that money for more profitable purposes, either here or elsewhere. 

If someone chooses to make use of and pay for a service, I don't see a problem. If its a case of ethics, who's conscience does that sit on?

11 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Same as retirement just more expensive- they pay under the table for people who do not have the funds in the bank

i have a friend that want to know   .... who ?

8 hours ago, bobandyson said:

Then to the bank to open account with 800,000b.

Then to immigration. No ticket, just walked straight in (Fast Track). A few signatures were needed. Had photo taken by them as usual so had to attend (and I preferred to anyway). PP stamped with ext. and then it was back to the bank to extract 800,000b

A bit off topic, but since a new bank account is opened, and presumably closed at the withdrawal, could someone unable to open an account use this method to open one? Shady bank, shady agent...

I was always wondering how can these agents in Thailand operate legally. You are absolutely under no circumstances supposed to give your passport to anyone. 

When you do file that police report and state you willingly gave away your passport, you may not get another one again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I would contact the agent again, and tell them if it's not returned say within 7 days or less, you will have no choice than make a police report, because at the end of the day that is true, it just might make them take more effort in trying to find it. If they can.

Agree! Simplest course of action. Say you need your passport in order to travel.

6 minutes ago, gargamon said:

A bit off topic, but since a new bank account is opened, and presumably closed at the withdrawal, could someone unable to open an account use this method to open one? Shady bank, shady agent...

Most banks will let you open an account if you are referred by a "trusted" customer!

Savings Account (bangkokbank.com)

Opening a New Account

For foreigners

2. Foreigner without work permit

A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document

• Embassy located  in Thailand or a work permit.
  • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium
  • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
  • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
  • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for job

28 minutes ago, gargamon said:

The bank account wasn't closed. Just the 800,000b was withdrawn. I have the bank book and ATM card and can use it again next time if I so wish.

3 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

I would expose her and make sure her name is on every website that deals with Thailand. You have a YouTube channel? If not might be a good time to take action so others won,t be harmed. After two weeks I would have been pounding on her day daily. Where's my damn passport?

Be careful. Defamation action could follow.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JackGats said:

The agent most probably lost the passport. How could you wait for 8 months? I get the jitters after 4 days when I leave my passport in the hand of strangers.

Waiting for so long to try and get your Passport back is not a good idea.

Your Passport, when living, or even visiting a Country that is not your own, is probably more important than Money.

Its your route out of misery sometimes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JackGats said:

The agent most probably lost the passport. How could you wait for 8 months? I get the jitters after 4 days when I leave my passport in the hand of strangers.

I have never left my passport in the hands of strangers, nor will I.

• Like 1

Go to the agent and ask to see the passport they may not have done anything with it yet due to covid. How are you doing your 9o day reports. Say you need the passport to do as cant do them online. Why have you waited so long 2 weeks without a passport and alarm bells should have been ringing 

14 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

A shady agent?

Surely not. they are all upstanding pillars of society and would never break the law.

I have used quite a few agents in Pattaya, had good honest service from them all, except one. He is definitely not to be recommended.

5 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

I would expose her and make sure her name is on every website that deals with Thailand. You have a YouTube channel? If not might be a good time to take action so others won,t be harmed. After two weeks I would have been pounding on her day daily. Where's my damn passport?

"I would expose her and make sure her name is on every website that deals with Thailand." There is one agent I would love to do that with, but there is the defamation law.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Defamation laws in Thailand???

What has defamation got to do with saying a certain agent has your passport and won't return it. I don't see how it can be defamation to mention the agents name in that case, whether it's on this forum or anywhere else.

28 minutes ago, malthebluff said:

Go to the agent and ask to see the passport they may not have done anything with it yet due to covid. How are you doing your 9o day reports. Say you need the passport to do as cant do them online. Why have you waited so long 2 weeks without a passport and alarm bells should have been ringing 

Deleted

Edited by roo860

16 hours ago, dddave said:

Even worse but not outside of the realm of possibility: the agent could have "loaned" your passport to a roughly similar looking individual, perhaps somebody blacklisted.

If she won't return it immediately, you probably should report it lost with the details to your Embassy.  You will have to file a police report to get your old visas and permissions reinstated.

PART QUOTE:

"Even worse but not outside of the realm of possibility: the agent could have "loaned" your passport to a roughly similar looking individual, perhaps somebody blacklisted."

Or, using your passport in cahoots with a doctor or hospital staff to run a health insurance scam, or other insurance scams. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

You could try offering the agent a financial reward of say 10,000 baht for the prompt return of your passport. 

Of course , there is no reason why you should have to do this but you might learn something from her reaction.

If she shows absolutely no interest then you can take it that your passport is lost or at least , that you are unlikely to see it again.

If on the other hand she agrees , then you arrange a time and place for the exchange.  This might be useful to you since it suggests she still has the passport and it is not lost.

What you decide to do with this knowledge is up to you.

Either way, even if you get your passport back you are on overstay with the nasty consequences that involves.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, what assistance did you require for a marriage extension?

It's unusual for agents to assist with extensions marriage. They can deal with organization of docs etc. Not much else. 

Did you meet the financials.

What was the agent required to do. 

Don't just state "obtain the extension". 

Irrelevant

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pravda said:

I was always wondering how can these agents in Thailand operate legally. You are absolutely under no circumstances supposed to give your passport to anyone. 

When you do file that police report and state you willingly gave away your passport, you may not get another one again.

I have used agents all over the world and have often  submitted  my passport  to employers.  It's standard.

• Like 1