No change at zebras after the fuss: Motorcyclists routinely ignoring crossing as pedestrians run for their lives

webfact

4 hours ago, MartinL said:

It was sort-of spoiled when we were driving home. Again a bike on a fairly busy two-lane road used by cane trucks; the passenger was holding a plank of wood, maybe 4 metres long, widthwise across the bike so that it stuck out about 1.5 metres each side. Very difficult to see as it was a black plank and didn't show-up well against the road. I wondered whether they made it home in one piece.

Perhaps he was attempting flight !!! 

an example of the utter feckless flookwittery we see on the roads here…. 

"There was even a red flag for pedestrians to use

I seem to recall that quite a few years ago the BKK admin provided flags at crossings. The idea was to wave them, the traffic would see you, and you could safely cross. A great idea. 

The flags were taken away when a truck ran down some tourists who believed the BS pr stunt! 

Things won’t change unless a large portion of the drivers mentality changes . Which is doubtful.  Many just don’t care about anyone else. It’s almost impossible to change a cultural issue. 
And the police need to patrol more and increase  proper enforcement.  

Edited by swm59nj

Actually stopping is part of the problem. The poor pedestrian stood at the side thinks OK i can cross now. He/she gets half way across and gets splattered by the bike overtaking on the right.

The best action the Government could take would be to remove them all.

Edited by Henryford

5 hours ago, Enzian said:

I've started holding my arm straight out when a bike comes at me on the sidewalk; this will probably lead to mayhem if I keep it up. Also giving the finger to cars lately, waiting for one to get out and fight.

Giving the Bird is a thing I personally would not do.

The Trags here in Thailand will fight with a 9 mm For your jesture.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Change does not come from changing the color of the paint. It comes due to a deterrent,

Agree with you sm007, and just yesterday I noticed a pedestrian crossing in my town here which had been painted red with the white lines still prominent, and a couple of tourists trying to cross, but to no avail as no motorbike or car would stop, and then when there was a gap/pause in the traffic and the tourists stepped out onto the pedestrian crossing, they were almost mown down!

They just couldn't believe it, and watching it, I was appalled, but as I have said before there is no use putting signs up, different colour paints, traffic lights or whatever, if the riders have not been taught/shown exactly how to treat these crossings, and what to do when one approaches them, and then also shown that they will get their motorbikes taken away and fined a substantial amount if they break the rules – – but we know that's never going to happen with the BIB here. 

• Thanks 2

I don't use zebras in BKK usually but the bridge.

In the short crosswalks around my home I believe I'm noticing certainly feeling a bit of a difference. If nothing else it no longer feels the cars, motos are challenging me to step across the road.

No idea how long it will last

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, robblok said:

Yesterday i was behind a taxi that all of a sudden stopped at rama4, it was a pedestrian crossing a zebra crossing that made him stop. So it is happening, i had not seen the pedestrian, thankfully i kept my distance from the taxi (as one should). But when you got cars on all lanes it can be hard to see pedestrians in the distance. 

But at least someone stopped and others did so too, though a traffic light might have made things easier. These are easier to spot from a distance as they are above the road and especially when its busy you often can't see much because of sight is blocked by all kind of bigger cars. 

I don't know the law in Thailand but in the UK it is an offence to overtake or undertake at a pedestrian crossing (Zebra or light controlled) hence if a vehicle stops at a crossing all other vehicles travelling in the same direction must also stop

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Surely this is embarrassing for Thailand's police force. 

I'm pro Thailand and get offended by the many negative comments about Thailand that I read everyday. 

This is one subject I reckon I'm within my rights to comment negatively, these needless death on our roads, it's so pathetic. Driving on our roads I see this bad behavior everyday, the police just turn a blind eye, it's unacceptable, a bloody joke. 

It hurts me to see Thailand's road death toll, so many beautiful Thai's killed needlessly, everyday. 

It's so easy to fix.

Police please do your job. 

A major part of the problem is Thai people totally lack common sense or any sense of safety. The police just make it worse by not punishing bad behavior - probably because like those who commit it they see nothing wrong with it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A major part of the problem is Thai people totally lack common sense or any sense of safety.

It’s pretty sad to read nonsense like this again and again on an expat forum.

Wherever you go in the world, you’ll find plenty of smart people and plenty of people acting stupidly too… and that includes Thailand and wherever you are from.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chessman said:

There are many dangerous situations everywhere in Thailand.  You can go out for a walk and see multiple dangerous things that you can see are dangerous, know how it could be made safe, and know that it would not happen in most Western countries.  If you watch Thais on the road, they clearly engage in extremely dangerous driving practices near constantly.  Many in fact seem to enjoy driving very fast and in a dangerous way.

I literally just saw four boys on one motorcycle riding at speed beeping and yelling.  Having a whale of a time.  No helmets.  No one stopping them.

I'm not sure how that can all exist without a serous problem when it comes to sense of safety.

Are you seriously suggesting that in general, Thais have a good sense of safety?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Fell free to write positive comments, I'll read them.

If any...

Thai people can be really friendly, fun, easy going, make you feel very welcome, beautiful women as well.  The weather in Thailand is great, the food is pretty nice, for a SEA country they have some nice upmarket areas, the temples are nice and they have some really interesting ruins.  Beaches, mountains, forests are pretty sweet.

But that doesn't detract from the fact that the roads are deadly and safety is really not something that is really properly considered.

I'm not sure why so many cannot enjoy the good while also acknowledging the bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chessman said:

Wherever you go in the world, you’ll find plenty of smart people and plenty of people acting stupidly too… and that includes Thailand and wherever you are from.

Fully agree with You my experience of a Taxi driver who I contracted with for 2 days in Pattaya was that he was a better driver than most English drivers. He was careful, he monitored his mirrors al the time, he anticipated the idiots and on longer motorway  journeys he stuck to the speed limit and remained in the inner lane allowing other to pass in the lanes to the right. He also slowed and stopped at pedestrian crossings

10 hours ago, RobU said:

I don't know the law in Thailand but in the UK it is an offence to overtake or undertake at a pedestrian crossing (Zebra or light controlled) hence if a vehicle stops at a crossing all other vehicles travelling in the same direction must also stop

I have no clue either, but i was behind the taxi and i stopped but cars on the side were passing. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Last week in Pattaya. Who fancies taking a chance at this light controlled zebra crossing?

Plus a M/C parked on the crossing and the bins and cones blocking the opposite side. 

Does this crossing actually have a button to push, or is that just a sign? or does it just turn red on a timer? (as with the stupid traffic light systems here) if so no wonder people drive through with no pedestrians to cross.

59 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Plus a M/C parked on the crossing and the bins and cones blocking the opposite side. 

Does this crossing actually have a button to push, or is that just a sign? or does it just turn red on a timer? (as with the stupid traffic light systems here) if so no wonder people drive through with no pedestrians to cross.

I know. Bins and vehicles parked at the crossing. The crossing has a push button to activate the lights and beepers. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2022 at 10:32 AM, spidermike007 said:

Change does not come from changing the color of the paint. It comes due to a deterrent, like an effective police department, fining people and locking them up, for harming pedestrians, and putting them at risk. It comes from an administration that actually cares about the proletariat, and not just doctors and rich people who get harmed or killed. It comes from a change in consciousness in society, where people are able to demonstrate respect and consideration for others. The things people do on the road here, the way they drive, the lack of attention to basic precautions, the lack of policing and traffic safety, are all reasons for the mayhem. 

It always astonishes me here how the average Thai person behaves, once you put them behind the wheel of a car or truck. Most seem quite kind and considerate. Until they get into their cars. Then, all bets are off. When I was growing up and learning to drive, I remember so much of what my lovely mother taught me. She had so much wisdom, and was a very kind and respectful woman. She was constantly emphasizing the need to be courteous to other drivers, and pedestrians. She imparted alot of wisdom. I wonder how many Thais get that kind of coaching and inspiration from their folks. 

Survival here depends on smarts, good common sense and being very careful. Drivers here yield to few cars or bikes. The law of the land here seems to be the bigger your vehicle, the more people yield to you. Big trucks are highest on the totem. Then cars. Then bikes. Last of all are pedestrians. They get mowed down all the time here. And most of the time people don't even stop afterwards.

main-qimg-13d2d809bb7a9582f5c512c9cbe7ba8a-lq.jpeg

Family on motorbike.jpg

You can't change 'stupid.'