Police Sued for B72m for Doctor’s Death at Crossing

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sure, but if making the RTP and associated agencies highly embarrassed and hitting them big financially and creating a precedent for similar actions in the future and putting pressure on them to do their job is achieved  by this action then it's worth it IMHO. 

Why the confused emoji? What's confusing about what I wrote?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Why the confused emoji? What's confusing about what I wrote?

Everything is confusing as there is no connection between my post and yours!

Where in my post are any comments or references to;

"highly embarrassed and hitting them big financially and creating a precedent for similar actions in the future and putting pressure on them to do their job "

5 hours ago, DezLez said:

Who in all conscience can put an actual price on a person's life/worth?

Also is it really worth it in mental health issues etc to pursue a case against the RTP in Thailand?

I am sorry for what happened but my advice is to grieve in private and continue to love your lost one without all the unnecessary added anguish!

R.I.P.

I disagree..  it is said for evil to triumph all it takes is for good people to do nothing.  Doing nothing will not bring about needed change.  They need to teach drivers education,  and fine high prices for fines to people that dont care to stop at crossings.   If they don't  pay put them in jail.  It's already over crowded so what more isn't going to hurt.  It would seem the local nationals  are raised without  the concept of consequences, etiquette. or manners.

5 hours ago, Chris.B said:

I doubt very much that an educated Thai family needs advice for a foreigner on matters of Thai law.

Indeed, it’s therefore a mystery why many lawyers, engineers, architects, accountants, and other professions in Thailand are foreigners…could it be that they can grasp Thai professional standards in their profession ? Or are you saying that foreigners cannot understand Thai law or make assumptions based on case precedent over X or XX years of years of living in Thailand ?

It is obvious THB 72m is an egregious claim by Thai standards and one that anybody living here for more than 6 months knows it to be completely unrealistic. That’s why we have an independent judiciary to make judgements based on law, not emotion.

Disappointing that so many people have such lack of understanding of Thai law, culture and foreigners positions within this environment, added to low foreigner self-esteem that they chose to like your post and buy into the ‘foreigner not understand’ meme…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, realfunster said:

Her..at least get the basics right before commenting…

The poster you quoted was referring to a Thai doctor in general, any doctor, not just the unfortunate lady.

Indeed, I am also a bit puzzled how they reached the figure of 200M Baht in future earnings. Maybe by making some assumptions on her future career moves.

8 hours ago, Chris.B said:

I doubt very much that an educated Thai family needs advice for a foreigner on matters of Thai law.

Exactly. People who fled their own societies in pursuit of brides and live off of their "marriage visas" are offering their opinions to people who have achieved highest ranking in their own society.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Exactly. People who fled their own societies in pursuit of brides and live off of their "marriage visas" are offering their opinions to people who have achieved highest ranking in their own society.

live off of their "marriage visas"

I have rarely seen anything on this forum so far from reality. The ones living off marriage visas, which don't exist any way ( it's a non O visa ), are usually the Thais in the relationship.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DezLez said:

Also is it really worth it in mental health issues etc to pursue a case against the RTP in Thailand?

I am sorry for what happened but my advice is to grieve in private and continue to love your lost one without all the unnecessary added anguish!

R.I.P.

Ask boss he can let you know

11 hours ago, DezLez said:

I have tried to introduce the mental health aspects that are potentially dangerous to the wellbeing of ALL people from ALL countries who pursue this glorified  "It is someone's fault therefore someone must pay cash mentality".

I am suggesting there is a bigger price to pay from/to everyone involved in getting tied up in litigation! And for what overall benefit to who?

Dez.. Dez...  You are really doubling down on your opinion.. As the great David Byrne once wrote. "Say something once, why say it again?"

Btw, i don't agree at all with your opinion.

• Confused 1

While I agree that the RTP aas a whole is technically responsible and the L/cpl is fully responsible, the fact that to sue the RTP will probably be an Uphill battle , the criteria for suing and amount has been met.

Now the outcome will be a different matter, I suspect that the RTP will throw the L/cpl to the wolves while a wringing of hands and a salutary offer made to the family by them. The L/cpl will be on his own`. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DezLez said:

R.I.P.

Easy to say that without knowledge of the families financial status.

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Be lucky to get 3 million.  Probably more like one million.

This is not the U.S. where if you stub your toe on the sidewalk, the city pays you 100's of thousand dollars.

Not so sure they will only get 3 million. No skin of the police nose having to pay out which will make them look good. it is taxpayer money after all

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

If the policeman was on duty, I believe this case will be successful, although there may be some negotiation on the amount. This isn't a run of the mill poor family, they seem have the financial ability to employ a decent lawyer.

The sad part is that as the police are a public body - ultimately the Thai public will be the ones who pay. even if that's just an increase in the police's insurance premium.

...he was off duty, he was just another reckless rider.

I think the issue is that the motorcycle (Ducati) was impounded by the police.

And that, it is alleged, the police were taking this vehicle out for joyrides. This wasn't the first such joyride, according to reports in the press.

My guess is that this would be against police procedures, so hence, the police are the defendant in any civil case. The actual chap doing the running over and killing is not the defendant in any civil case.

The police report to the PM, the government has deepish pockets and should probably settle, but they won't.

Thank goodness Joe Ferrari didn't run over anyone, that we know about. Rumor is that he wasn't the best driver.

See also Jimmy HiSo. https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/10/26/hiso-police-capt-kills-fishball-seller-in-hit-and-run/

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Then it would be interesting to know on what grounds they are able to sue the police.

i agree totally...seems like compensation re loss of earnings which makes it a civil case to be heard well after he has been dealt with the charges pending. No need for them/they to report this. If anybody to be sued would be the City Council if any fault could be found re the pedestrian crossing etc.

Edited by tandor

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Oh come on, A Thai doctor earning £4.5 million in the remainder of his life ? Sound more ego than reality

Our local Doctor in Yasothon built a 50 million baht traditional Thai teak house that nobody lives in, it's just a show piece in the middle of nowhere surrounded by rice paddies and he is filthy rich so 72 million baht doesn't sound unrealistic. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tandor said:

...seems like compensation re loss of earnings which makes it a civil case to be hear well after he has been dealt with the charges pending. No need for them/they to report this.

Don't understand that answer at all. However, if what mtis2005 states above is correct, that explains it.  The lawyers are going after the police because he was allowed to go out on an impounded bike and they can achieve a bigger payout.  I very much doubt they'd be able to extract 72 million baht out of the policeman but his employers will have the means - insurance or otherwise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, seedy said:

I feel sorry for the family, and sad at the death of their young daughter.

That being said ...

I learned to cross the street at about 5 years of age. Look both ways, and if someone is coming, stop.

This was a long time before zebra crossings.

Moral of this story - Keep your head up and pay attention. I see so many staring at screens, walking with headphones on, oblivious to the world around them.

Death is a heartbeat away.

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is no reason at all to think this poor woman was in any way inattentive. The driver came roaring down at extreme speed.(Clocked at over 100 KPH). He was likley nowhere in sight when she started across.

I am very careful  crossing streets here. But that did not stop me from being slammed in to by a motorcycle despite there being absolutely no traffic coming when I started across, in a zebra crossing, in broad daylight (the nearest vehicles were at a full stop at a red light a full 200 meters away - and they all saw me. Nonetheless when their light changed they raced at breakneck speed down the road and slammed right into me just as I was reaching the meridian.

With this type of driving, it can happen to anyone no matter how carefully they cross the road.

If you re-read my post I did not accuse the young lady of inattention. "I see so many ..." is a general statement.

Be that as it may ... even if the bike was traveling at a high rate of speed, a continuous scan of oncoming traffic would have revealed the bike when he was approaching to allow the poor girl to attempt evasion.

My point - repeated again - is to pay attention. The zebra crossing, and traffic already stopped to allow her to cross, will not protect her. She can only do this herself.

I mean no disrespect to her, just putting forth the need to be vigilant.