Are we now feeling the effects of Ukraine's situation in Asia?

webfact

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

SWIFT banking being sanctioned as we speak.  Russian expats are going to have a hard time getting money.  They can thank Putin for their hardships.

As far as i can read it's only some Russian Banks that get their SWIFT access removed, so maybe it's still possible for Russians in Thailand to get their money, but overall it's likely to cause some trouble for Russians in Thailand.

If i were Russian i would withdraw/transfer all the money i possibly could, before it's too late.

I assume many Russians has Thai banks as other expats do?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Virt said:

As far as i can read it's only some Russian Banks that get their SWIFT access removed, so maybe it's still possible for Russians in Thailand to get their money, but overall it's likely to cause some trouble for Russians in Thailand.

If i were Russian i would withdraw/transfer all the money i possibly could, before it's too late.

The problem is replenishing the Thai bank account. 

If I were Russian, I would go back to Russia before things get worse. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Virt said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russias-lender-vtb-says-western-sanctions-will-hit-card-usage-outside-russia-2022-02-24/

Russia's lender VTB says Western sanctions will hit card usage outside Russia

"MOSCOW, Feb 24 (Reuters) - Russia's No.2 lender VTB (VTBR.MM) on Thursday said the imposition of Western sanctions on its operations would limit the usage of its cards outside Russia and advised customers in other countries to withdraw funds or pay using different banks.

It said all cards, including Visa (V.N) and Mastercard ones, would still be operational in Russia and that it was not limiting its currency exchange operations."

• Like 2

Anyway, it could come as a surprise to some that at the end of the day - after all these closures, sanctions, restrictions - the gas is still flowing to Europe as it has been flowing over 40 years (during the many sanctions) . 

With exception of some disruptions when the Ukraine has "diverted" a great deal of it during the transit that however has not been paid for. 

That has been the main reason for the new pipeline NS2. And secondary, for the war either...     

On 2/23/2022 at 12:15 AM, hotchilli said:

No-one will push the button, because it would end in the decimation of the super-powers.

Retaliation strikes that follow the first launch would guarantee no winners.

So it would be pointless.

Have you never met anyone with a temper - rational thought is for afterwards when you say sorry...

My local bank Friday had people outside the door waiting for exchange and withdrawal. Many Russian and and former republic tourists in the area. With the exchange rate and swift removal they may need assistance returning.Unfortunate for many local businesses just getting up and running. Oil and gas is 40% of the Russian economy.Sanctions in that sector would be crippling.

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2022 at 10:14 AM, lapamita said:
On 2/26/2022 at 9:29 AM, candide said:

Russia has not much economic power to exert (unlike China)

Needing to exert military power is a proof of failure

russia increased BIP by 30 fold during 1992 -2020  by 30 fold...

BIP?

What is BIP?

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+BIP&oq=what+is+BIP&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512l4j0i22i30l3.7278j1j4&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Putin has now put his nuclear forces on alert and has engaged them to be ready.  This guy is a seriously deranged man who is ready tp push the world to its finality.  Like a child throwing his toys from his pram.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17785413/putin-nuclear-forces-alert-russian-troops-ukraine-speech-2/

VLADIMIR Putin has put his nuclear forces on high alert just after warning the West "may face the greatest consequences in history".

The Russian tyrant is said to be "furious" he's not been able to subdue Ukraine and lashed out at NATO for its "unfriendly measures" he says forced him into the chilling nuclear gamble.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 9:53 PM, aussiexpat said:

I'm hoping Russia, China, India and UAE flights are banned from all Asia-Pacific countries

Unproked Russia invades Ukraine, and then UAE, India and China abstain from voting against this atrocity, therefore providing support to Russia 

Coincidence Thailand is trying to attract Russia, China, India and UAE to Thailand right now...think not, pretty sure if Thailand was a rotating UN member they also would have abstained to support their friends

Make a stand Thailand!

Removing the Emirates carriers is a big impact... they do the majority of flights these days. 

I cannot say unprovoked... as Ukraine incensed Russia by pursuing Nato membership. I suspect Russia sees this along the lines the USA saw the placement of missiles on Cuba.

An abstention is not a vote against the motion, simply a choice not to vote in it, for or against. 

Thailand will always remain more aligned to China.......

A post containing content that was copy and pasted from the BBC has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Removing the Emirates carriers is a big impact... they do the majority of flights these days. 

I cannot say unprovoked... as Ukraine incensed Russia by pursuing Nato membership. I suspect Russia sees this along the lines the USA saw the placement of missiles on Cuba.

An abstention is not a vote against the motion, simply a choice not to vote in it, for or against. 

Thailand will always remain more aligned to China.......

Ukraine's pursuit of NATO membership was provoked--like most of Russia's neighbors it doesn't trust Russia and feels the need to be in a defensive alliance. 

Russia has now justified the lack of trust and pursuit of a defensive alliance.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2022 at 9:19 AM, NanLaew said:

At the very same time as he was 'arming Ukraine' and 'banning Nordstream', Trump was denouncing the importance of NATO and constantly disparaged the EU thus weakening both entities which only served to embolden Putin.

Yeah,
So Putin didn't invade Ukraine while "Russian agent who weakened NATO" was in charge.
He had to wait until "strong leader" Biden took the office.

• Thanks 2

On 2/27/2022 at 9:40 PM, heybruce said:

Ukraine's pursuit of NATO membership was provoked--like most of Russia's neighbors it doesn't trust Russia and feels the need to be in a defensive alliance. 

Russia has now justified the lack of trust and pursuit of a defensive alliance.

Probably true, but...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ukraine-invasion-follows-decades-of-warnings-that-nato-expansion-into-eastern-europe-could-provoke-russia-11646167700?mod=mw_latestnews

On 2/23/2022 at 12:48 AM, Isaan sailor said:

I just hope Thailand doesn’t pick a side on this—‘cause you know they’ll probably choose the wrong one…

5555555 They already have …. Thailand has now been split into a Russian / Chinese Sattelie Country …. TAT will love all those Rubles coming in worth Nothing 555555

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Millcx said:

5555555 They already have …. Thailand has now been split into a Russian / Chinese Sattelie Country …. TAT will love all those Rubles coming in worth Nothing 555555

Too bad we can do the same to Chinese Yuan—it’s based on a basket of major currencies.

4 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Expect petrol prices to rise dramatically

You mean more than the over 50% increase of the past year.  January 2021, E85 was 18 ish baht, now 28+, if not more, as I need to fill up today.  Just the news of higher oil prices, I'm sure it's up already.

I await 30 / liter and up, which is pushing me more to an EV sooner than I thought.   ROI will be much quicker than my calculatons of last year.

Not going to take much to talk me into the 2022 MG ZS EV when available here, especially with any gov't incentives soon to be implimented.  That 8 yr ROI is looking more like only 5 yrs now, at today's prices.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, farangnomore said:

None of the new NATO members were forced to join, or even actively recruited.  Most (All?) actively lobbied to join.

I wonder why Russia didn't do more to assure its neighbors they had no need to join NATO?

• Like 2

On 3/1/2022 at 3:35 PM, ozzydon said:

What I find amusing is the thai people seem to be more worried about a dead superstar than Ukraine or Russia  but that's the thai way I guess until it affects their pockets

Thai's have no idea what's happening outside thailand, for a lot not even outside their Tambon.

They don't care.

• Like 1