Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

15 hours ago, internationalism said:

unless it was a deliberate action by ukrainians - even without knowledge of their president and military command, just rouge nationalist element. An independent interrogation of those involved and investigation would show. But ukraine still denies it was their own missile. So answer won't be coming in the near future  

"unless it was a deliberate action by ukrainians - even without knowledge of their president and military command"

Stretching out the speculation there internationalism Where would you get that idea from I wonder, especially when the Ukraine military had already released this statement.

Ukraine says missile parts that landed in Poland may have been Ukrainian

In an interview Friday, he described an intense battle during which at least 50 missiles were flying through the air within a matter of minutes near the Polish border in western Ukraine, with at least 20 fired by Russia and 30 fired by Ukrainian air defenses as Russia launched its biggest attack yet on Ukraine’s energy infrastructure. They were among a total of 96 missiles fired by Russia that day, 77 of which were shot down, he said.

“Anything could be the result of this air defense battle,” he said, acknowledging that at least some of the missile parts could have been Ukrainian.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/11/18/ukraine-missile-poland-nato-russia/

One of the side effects of using paid mercenaries is seen in the fight for Bakhmut, a WW1 style battle where soldiers fire rifles at each other from muddy trenches, when not taking cover from artillery shells.  It's estimated that the Russians are losing around 100 soldiers a day fighting for a city that has little real strategic value.  Newly mobilised soldiers and conscripted prisoners are fighting alongside a core force of Wagner Group mercenaries, and are basically being used as disposable human probes by the latter, repeatedly being ordered to charge the Ukrainian lines in order to find the strongest defensive points, which are then targeted with mortar and artillery fire.  Human beings been fed into a mincer, and summarily shot on the spot if they refuse. 

Not only do the mercenaries not care about the lives of the common soldiers fighting for them, it's thought that the reason for the bloody battle is all about their getting paid, with Ukrainian military analyst Serhiy Grabskiy saying:

"...the Wagner Group was likely assigned the job of capturing Bakhmut by the Kremlin, and doing so will come with a significant financial reward — regardless of the number of Russian lives lost doing it.

Prigozhin "will play his role and show that he is an important component of the Russian military machine.

The only part of the long front line where Russia appears to have the capacity to go on the offensive is around Bakhmut, and it's important for the military to provide a battlefield success for Putin."

Why the battle for the small city of Bakhmut is so important to both Russia and Ukraine | CBC News

More on Bakhmut is also found in this report, along with the news that:

"The alleged daily losses are beginning to mount up as Russia is predicted to lose 100,000 soldiers in less than one year of war, according to Ukraine's Ministry of Defence.

This milestone could be reached as soon as this week or the next. This would be two months shy of the anniversary of the Russian invasion of Ukraine in late February 2022."

Russia Losing 100 Soldiers a Day in Bloody Battle for Bakhmut, Report (newsweek.com)

Putin must be very proud of himself.  I wonder how he'll celebrate?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Putin must be very proud of himself.  I wonder how he'll celebrate?

I’m quite sure Putin isn’t losing one second of sleep over this, he couldn’t care less how many lives have to be sacrificed to achieve his goals. 

On 12/5/2022 at 7:02 PM, bannork said:

But we must see the possibility of Putin using nuclear weapons from his perspective, his values, of which rationality is but one part. 

Should we back down faced with a madman prepared to destroy the world rather than lose face?

Given the possibility that everyone you know will die, how far do you want to go to oppose him when he's not ( presumably ) threatening your country with annihilation?

3 hours ago, tgw said:

the world needs to take this opportunity to show all wannabe nuclear warmongers that they will be stopped. at all costs.

if we don't this, any country without the bomb and not member of any nuclear defense alliance will be at risk.

Also, many countries without the bomb will want to acquire nuclear weapons in order to defend themselves and/or threaten others.

Like it or not, the U.S. must extend its nuclear umbrella to cover all allies and prove that it will stand firm against tyrants like Putin.  Otherwise nuclear weapons will proliferate even more than currently and the world will become much more dangerous.

5 hours ago, tgw said:

the world needs to take this opportunity to show all wannabe nuclear warmongers that they will be stopped. at all costs.

if we don't this, any country without the bomb and not member of any nuclear defense alliance will be at risk.

It's generally their choice not to ally with a nuclear armed state ( or because they are so toxic that no decent country wants them in the "club" ), so why is it our responsibility to protect them?

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's generally their choice not to ally with a nuclear armed state ( or because they are so toxic that no decent country wants them in the "club" ), so why is it our responsibility to protect them?

Does the phrase "enlightened self-interest" mean anything to you?

2 hours ago, Black Ops said:

Can you tell me how to access these links you post?

I would like to read them or watch them but there is no way i can open them.

Lots of UK  stuff but i would like to know about the winter 'Stalemate'

3 minutes ago, jvs said:

Can you tell me how to access these links you post?

I would like to read them or watch them but there is no way i can open them.

Lots of UK  stuff but i would like to know about the winter 'Stalemate'

There is a link provided inthe post :

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-latest-belarus-to-move-equipment-and-security-forces-for-terrorism-response-checks-after-kyivs-warnings-it-could-enter-war-12541713

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tgw said:

Moscow accuses Ukraine of drone attacks deep inside Russia

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/05/europe/russia-ukraine-missiles-kyiv-zaporizhzhia-intl/index.html

"accuses" makes it sound like a bad thing ????

I mean... yes, and ??? what did Putin expect ??

it's about time as UJkraine have been holding for too long.... Vlad should know the saying "what goes around comes around" hope they keep it up and do it on a daily basis or twice daily

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

it's about time as UJkraine have been holding for too long.... Vlad should know the saying "what goes around comes around" hope they keep it up and do it on a daily basis or twice daily

Yeah, maybe start doing some damage in Moscow and St. Petersburg as well, have the elite there cower in bomb shelters. Maybe that will speed up things a little.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

A poll in Austria found that most vaccinated Austrians believe Russia is responsible for the war in Ukraine, while the unvaccinated mostly blame the US and NATO.

That’s a good one, confirms my observations precisely. Covid has always been an IQ test.

PS: lol, whatever, keep your little sandbox only to yourselves.

Edited by AnotherFarang8