Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

5 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Donbas was also illegibly occupied, so that's some loss of Ukraine land and that didn't appease the invaders

Wasn't Ukraine attacking Donbas before the invasion? That's hardly accepting the situation, and wasn't it separatists ( ie not "occupiers" ) and not Russian military in there?

I don't believe the Russians invaded to take over Donbas, otherwise they could have just invaded that area and not the rest.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jvs said:

That is very honest of you,thanks.

Luckily the people in the Ukraine would rather die then give up their land.

They would never understand your statement and frame of mind,i can not either.

That is why NATO is important,together countries can make a fist against

people like Putin.

In you case the neighborhood bully would not stop at taking a small part

of your garden,he would demand more until someone would stop him.

He would also try and take other gardens close to him but a strong united

neighborhood unity would stop him .

Sadly, the people of Ukraine are dying, and will continue to do so till a negotiated end is arranged.

Off topic post trying to hijack the topic about what happened in 2014 has been removed

Topic title is:

Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Putin: You have to pay for gas in Rubles. Europe...........naaaa no more blood money for you 

And even worse for Putin,they have to burn the gas now because it is a by product of producing oil and they have no way to store it.

Actually a terrible waste but so be it.

So he is burning money in able to make money,i am sure his soldiers would like some gas in the trenches so they can warm them selves.

Well,let them feel a different kind of heat i say.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I'm not sure why the US or EU don't take Putin and his puppets out...

very strange  ?

do they just want to prolonge death and misery because that's exactly what they are allowing.

Please explain there thinking ...

Thinking about this for awhile also and i have come up with an answer.

If ,just if,say the CIA had a way to kill Putin then Putin could be made into

a marter and that way there would be room for an even more evil person to stand up and call for revenge.

Propaganda would do the rest and the war would go on with maybe many russians calling it justified.

On the other hand,if the economy keeps going down an internal uprising in Russia could totally change politics over there.

It is always better if the changes comes from within i think.

Many younger Russians are against this war but so far too afraid to do much about it.

Younger people are saying protests do not work over there because they

will get beat down.

I hope the time will come that that pot boils over.

When that happens it will be the end of russia as we know it.

This is just me  thinking and i could be wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, jvs said:

Let's hope operation Ramstein comes up with some solid

results.

More and more countries want to send heavy tanks,they are needed!

Don't try to tell me it costs too much,all the weapon factories will be

doing over time in order to keep up what is being used.

In the end it will be very good for economies,also for the USA.

exactly,   the military aid packages can continue into 100's of billions of dollars because what you said is absolutely correct,  it will create thousands upon thousands of jobs right down the chain world wide for the next 20 yrs or whatever with supplies of every discription.

Edited by steven100

3 hours ago, tgw said:

you are very correct and I do hope that the economic restructuring doesn't stop there.

our side has to ensure intra-bloc autonomy for a number of things, such as critical industries and technologies, energy, food production, etc.

security, immigration, counter-terrorism, counter-intelligence and intelligence services also need to be beefed up massively, especially with the perspective of a showdown with China.

production capacities for tanks, armored vehicles and especially ammunition are too weak.

in 1995, the USA had only approx. 400.000 155mm shells in storage (which is ridiculously low) against a requirement of 800.000, which is also quite low.

to put things in perspective, if the US were involved in a full scale war, they would probably fire between 50.000 and 100.000 shells per day, and I think we should have more in reserve than we need for 3 months of conflict AND have a good plan of how production can be rapidly ramped up, including securing the necessary strategic resources and extraction capacities to make the shells.

this problem is present in all branches of military.

a number of weapon use doctrines need also to be re-thought, so that our side are able to mobilize enough conventional forces against adversaries using large scale conventional forces and troop mass effects.

cheap weapons are needed, so the 4-million a piece patriot missiles don't get used on 25.000 USD Iranian drones.

cheap, very highly effective weapons are needed.

and, maybe, alliances such as NATO should be able to overrule the export restrictions of one of its members.

Elected officials like to tell voters how they controlled spending while buying exciting big-ticket items like aircraft carriers, new generations of aircraft, etc.  The easiest way to do that is to cut the budget for the boring essentials; munitions, maintenance, training, etc.  Unfortunately I don't see that changing until voters get smarter.

• Like 1

In Norway we have Leopard II tanks ready to send to Ukraine, but believe it or not, we are not allowed by Germany.   Our government can't react until Germany says yes.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, balo said:

In Norway we have Leopard II tanks ready to send to Ukraine, but believe it or not, we are not allowed by Germany.   Our government can't react until Germany says yes.  

I have not seen it as an option yet? 

If Germany says no, It is understandable from one point of view, if the russians get their hands on one and investigate the technology, but Im sure they already got the blueprints anyway, so ? What is the hatch? Do not want to provoke Putin more than necessary?

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I have not seen it as an option yet? 

If Germany says no, It is understandable from one point of view, if the russians get their hands on one and investigate the technology, but Im sure they already got the blueprints anyway, so ? What is the hatch? Do not want to provoke Putin more than necessary?

This article could explain it 

"The re-export of Leopards requires German government approval, so other countries with such tanks could not send them to Ukraine without it."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/west-mulls-sending-german-leopard-2-tanks-ukraine-2023-01-13/

Edited by balo