Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

More war crimes to add the the growing list..........

Ukraine: Russia Uses Banned Antipersonnel Landmines

(Berlin, March 29, 2022) – Russian forces fighting in Ukraine have used banned antipersonnel mines in the eastern Kharkiv region, Human Rights Watch said today. 

The antipersonnel mines were located by Ukrainian explosive ordnance disposal technicians on March 28, 2022. Russia is known to possess these newly deployed landmines, which can indiscriminately kill and maim people within an apparent 16-meter range. Ukraine does not possess this type of landmine or its delivery system.

“Countries around the world should forcefully condemn Russia’s use of banned antipersonnel landmines in Ukraine,” said Steve Goose, the arms director of Human Rights Watch. “These weapons do not differentiate between combatants and civilians and leave a deadly legacy for years to come.”

202203arms_landmines_ukraine1.jpg?itok=X

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/03/29/ukraine-russia-uses-banned-antipersonnel-landmines#

• Like 1

And I thought I've been mistaken about Russian people.

Lets see--they started humble by killing top guy--no desired result.

Started revolution by killing 10 millions--no desired result.

Continued with 27 millions more--no desired result.

All fell apart for some time--no desired result.

Now with good excuse they trying kill 40 millions and the answer is--no desired result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Who was it on this forum used the term :In Good Faith" when speaking about Ukraine surrendering over five weeks ago?

I guess good faith includes land mines, bombing maternity hospital, kindergartens, rape, Strange ethics really.

Now I will see sad emojis, confused emojis. Sick detritus 

Singling out other members who have a different theory on how this should end doesn't help anyone in Ukraine.

But i'm sure of one thing,the laying down of arms when asked in Mauripol would of saved a lot of lives and could have been sorted out later.   

14 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Singling out other members who have a different theory on how this should end doesn't help anyone in Ukraine.

But i'm sure of one thing,the laying down of arms when asked in Mauripol would of saved a lot of lives and could have been sorted out later.   

was there a different course of events that may have saved lives?

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Why was that? It does seem a bit much to just kill a few thousands of innocent civilians because not doing so was "not in play".

Well looking from the outside in.

Using human shields will do that.

Most tv coverage shows The Ukraine army around civilians.

Reporters hiding in doctors scrubs in hospitals.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Well looking from the outside in.

Using human shields will do that.

Most tv coverage shows The Ukraine army around civilians.

Reporters hiding in doctors scrubs in hospitals.

Does that then justify bombing them? Are those reporters dressing up as doctors nasty people and deserve to be bombed?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

I'm paraphrasing you. You seem to believe that bombing those hospitals was somehow justified and I'm trying to find out why you think that.

I'm not justifying it.

Why would they do it unless they thought there were other people other than doctors and patients in there,which we know there was.

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I've not seen much TV coverage in Mariupol recently have you?

Strange because the last independent journalists left over a week ago and even then those particular AP journo's were the only ones who had remained there.

Yes they were reporting from a hospital, and? as civilians they probably thought it to be the safest place.

"We were the only international journalists left in the Ukrainian city of Mariupol, and we had been documenting its siege by Russian troops for more than two weeks. We were reporting inside the hospital when gunmen began stalking the corridors. Surgeons gave us white scrubs to wear as camouflage.

Suddenly at dawn, a dozen soldiers burst in: “Where are the journalists, for <deleted>’s sake?”

I looked at their armbands, blue for Ukraine, and tried to calculate the odds that they were Russians in disguise. I stepped forward to identify myself. “We’re here to get you out,” they said."

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-europe-edf7240a9d990e7e3e32f82ca351dede

I note they did not report anything about human shields, where did you dream that one up from?

I've made my point and not getting in a slinging match.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

I'm not justifying it.

Why would they do it unless they thought there were other people other than doctors and patients in there,which we know there was.

We don't know there was and even if that was true, how does that justify bombing a hospital which we know is a war crime?

15 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Is that in your rule book.

This seems to be in the Russian rule book:

#UPDATE Russian forces struck a Red Cross facility in the besieged and destroyed southern Ukraine port city of #Mariupol, Kyiv said Wednesday, where officials have warned of an unfolding humanitarian disaster

@WHO has verified 8 additional attacks on health care in #Ukraine. As of 30 March, 82 attacks that caused 72 deaths & 43 injuries were verified. Attacks on health deprive communities of essential health services & urgently needed, life-saving care. Attacks on health MUST stop

A Ukrainian mother has recounted being raped at gunpoint by Russian soldiers while her young son sobbed nearby.

Speaking to The Times, the 33-year-old woman - whose identity has been hidden - described the shocking experience, which she says took place at the hands of two drunk soldiers who had shot her husband moments before.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hellfire said:

Did you see the Putin’s one month old speech where he said that Russia stands no chance in a conventional war against NATO? 

I believe this is true for today. And an US National Security Advisor Mr Brzezinski explained why: because while 500 billion dollars owned by Russia’s elites still lie in American banks he can’t see any chance of Russia using its nuclear potential.

But Russia is already in the beginning of a huge replacement of the elites. So the situation can change very quickly.

• Haha 2

Why do I get the impression that we have a handful of posters here watching too much R.T. news........

Here's what the US Embassy said about one of R.T's top reporters back on the 17th Jan:

State-run RT's Anton Krasovsky, who called Ukrainians “animals” and threatened to burn the constitution, joins Maria Zakharova and other Kremlin puppets in their increasingly shrill and outlandish rhetoric against Ukraine. Nobody is fooled by these ham-fisted Cold War tactics.

and here's what he said today:

"<deleted> this country shouldn't exist [Ukraine] and we will do everything to make that happen. I told you before, I will burn your constitution"

There's worse in the video.

Video of Putin’s propagandist Anton Krasovskiy of Russia Today, sitting in the safety of his Moscow apartment, threatening the Heroes of Ukraine - with English subtitles. This is what @DefenceU are fighting.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

I believe this is true for today. And an US National Security Advisor Mr Brzezinski explained why: because while 500 billion dollars owned by Russia’s elites still lie in American banks he can’t see any chance of Russia using its nuclear potential.

But Russia is already in the beginning of a huge replacement of the elites. So the situation can change very quickly.

Replace with whom? Are there anybody but totally corrupted kleptocrats inhabiting all the layers of Putin’s Russia society? Vlad’s closest friends - most of them are billionaires who made their fortunes just by being Putin’s friends (many of them are not even businessmen of any kind).  What type of new elite are you dreaming of? What planet will those people be imported from?

Edited by Hellfire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

Replace with whom? Are there anybody but totally corrupted kleptocrats inhabiting all the layers of Putin’s Russia society? Vlad’s closest friends - most of them are billionaires who made their fortunes just by being Putin’s friends (many of them are not even businessmen of any kind).  What type of new elite are you dreaming of? What planet will those people be imported from?

I think it's fairly obvious by the amount of exiles and poisonings there are plenty of people prepared to take Putin's place. I think even just outside Putin's very closest allies there ae plenty waiting to take over and review Russia's suicidal role.

11 hours ago, LosLobo said:

"Security guarantees", what a joke!

In 1996 Ukraine returned all of its nuclear warheads to Russia in exchange for security assurances. From Crimea in 2014 and now in Ukraine, it is obvious that Russia can not be trusted to ever keep any agreement.  So what has changed now?

Ukraine war: what is the Budapest Memorandum and why has Russia's invasion torn it up? (theconversation.com)

that's why Ukraine will be seeking security guarantees from other countries than Russia.

• Like 1