Will we become culturally starved here in Thailand?

webfact

I found the best way to enjoy any cultutre: all genres of music, theatre etc was to be aligned with the international schools whilst living in Chiang mai. Not difficult if you had a child at one...Together with the Unis there was quite a good scene going on throughout the year there......................There's also a very good local magazine (Citylife) which constantly features upcoming events (pre covid times)...........

• Haha 1

Regarding the geriatric Rolling Stones, these guys are always rather tongue-in-cheek, deep down, and therefore one cannot get enough of them, and they even improve with age, surprisingly. 

Our expectation is that after Mick passes, he will rise from the grave, all bones, but with lipstick, too.

Mick is a god, almost as great as JS Bach.

As you know, Mick put on a great show, sort of toying around, for Obama.

Maybe he will do it again, but for you, personally, if you ask him, and if you are great enough.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Regarding the geriatric Rolling Stones, these guys are always rather tongue-in-cheek, deep down, and therefore one cannot get enough of them, and they even improve with age, surprisingly. 

Our expectation is that after Mick passes, he will rise from the grave, all bones, but with lipstick, too.

Mick is a god, almost as great as JS Bach.

As you know, Mick put on a great show, sort of toying around, for Obama.

Maybe he will do it again, but for you, personally, if you ask him, and if you are great enough.

There is no satisfaction when you cant get what you want 

18 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

I always considered Bali to have a high level of art and culture. If Thailand ever had culture, it was lost long ago, but I suppose entertainment comes along every now and then, if it makes money.

I always considered that Germany had a very high level of art and culture, next to Bali, of course, and...I still do.

So does Chomsky, if you read him.

Was Beethoven so bad?  Yes, he was.  But, his music was OK.

Brahms was OK.

Strauss?

Telemann, is not good.

Mendelssohn is quite nice.

What about Ralf Hütter, though?  Not so sure about him.

Here in Australia rock concerts are picking up again. I've been to a few, but won't be going to any more.

Being surrounded by fat, drunk, sweaty, tattoo'd, 65 year old white women just doesn't appeal to me any more.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

In a way I presume it's better to cultural starve than die from Covid - luckily today we have the Internet to catch up with a bit of the lost culture.

And you've got to be kidding, too.  You have to have a brain before you can enjoy a cultural event.   Good thing you have a basement in which to shelter with your Internet.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There is very little culture here. It should not be confused with centuries old tradition. Upcountry dancing, and puppet shows. And a small fine art scene.

It would sure be nice to be around some real culture. Great live music, dance, theater, museums, and the like.
Great wine at fair prices.
And drivers with some skill.
Police who are concerned with traffic safety.
Maybe a gorgeous language.
Air that will not kill you.
Or a government that is not moving backwards into oblivion, with no end in sight. Those are attractive qualities. 

But, the price to be paid for that is too high. So, finding contentment here is the nature of the game for many of us.

Dear God,

To be poor in culture is acceptable.

If only I had a little bit of.....TRADITION!

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thailand stopped attracting big name acts long before the pandemic, and there weren't many even back then. I did once go and see a local play, but it was so poorly presented I never went to any other.

But then, I spent the first 40 years of my life in London, so most other places would pale in comparison.

Some years ago I was reading some comments from a British couple who had emigrated from London to Australia, The question was, why are returning to London? The answer, a lack of culture in Oz, concerts, art galleries, museums etc. They loved so many things about Oz, but a lack of those things meant that they couldn't stop there.

• Haha 1