Strange morning at Tesco and Red light

SAFETY FIRST

1 hour ago, david555 said:

i had that expieriance a few day ago at Lotus ...Thai lady with 2 full loaded shopper cars ....could no succeed paimentQR several tryings....

Finally she had to run to the ATM for cash.....i wonder why she just not used the card and pin...

Anyway i hold my smiling nerves ...????...when my pay turn i just smiled to cashier and showed my 1000 baht bill  and said this works always.....

this proves Cash is still king ....whatever new digital things they try to introduce ....????

ser, I'm all in favour of digital payment systems and am quite glad that Thais are keen to embrace the new technology. 

anything that annoys grumpy old farang gets a thumbs up from me ????

ps. present company excluded, we're all happy souls in here ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

ser, I'm all in favour of digital payment systems and am quite glad that Thais are keen to embrace the new technology. 

anything that annoys grumpy old farang gets a thumbs up from me ????

ps. present company excluded, we're all happy souls in here ????

On condition they can handle it ......if not ....it is an annoyance ......and not only to the old grumpy farangs ....????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Even more stranger.... there are no Tesco's here now...

regards Worgeordie

Some haven't got the message yet.

"Lotus's", probably the most stupid choice for Thai speaking people.

And here it will have an effect, less choice for foreigners and higher prices.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, david555 said:

i had that expieriance a few day ago at Lotus ...Thai lady with 2 full loaded shopper cars ....could no succeed paimentQR several tryings....

Finally she had to run to the ATM for cash.....i wonder why she just not used the card and pin...

Anyway i hold my smiling nerves ...????...when my pay turn i just smiled to cashier and showed my 1000 baht bill  and said this works always.....

this proves Cash is still king ....whatever new digital things they try to introduce ....????

Not quite.  When I tried to pay with good old cash money for my Subway sandwich on Silom, I was told "Solly Mister:  Only bank transfer or payment ap."

I removed myself to KFC.

Twenty years from now, cash money will be on those Facebook lists of things that have totally disappeared, like phone directories are now.

54 minutes ago, musicscene said:

Most are called Lotus’s quite why I do not know.

With respect, for reference (basic):

Lotus Supercenters were set up and operated by the CP Group in 1994. In 1998 the British Supermarket chain Tesco took a stake to create Tesco Lotus. In 2003 CP Group sold most of its shares leaving Tesco Lotus to rapidly expand throughout Thailand. When Tesco decided to pull out, in 2020 CP Group submitted the winning bid to purchase Tesco Lotus (Thailand) and Malaysian Tesco operations. During rebranding in 2021 by CP Group, Tesco was dropped and Lotus's was introduced. CP Group also own MAKRO in this part of the World. (Wikipedia)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I've had a few strange things happen, all were between myself and foreigners, never ever had any strange situations or issues with Thais. 

This statement is hardly consistent with your first moan, or do the Chinese Thais (who largely run and own the country) not qualify as real Thais in your mind?

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Anyway, Chinese Thai guy, I didn't argue, just roll my bike back and continue to wait.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dddave said:

Not quite.  When I tried to pay with good old cash money for my Subway sandwich on Silom, I was told "Solly Mister:  Only bank transfer or payment ap."

I removed myself to KFC.

Twenty years from now, cash money will be on those Facebook lists of things that have totally disappeared, like phone directories are now.

In 20 years many things probably changed , i shall not see that anymore i guess ...????

The world could even not be livable ......20 years looks like eternity ????

Might be facebook is then just something from history and non existing anymore ....????

Edited by david555

32 minutes ago, Guderian said:

This statement is hardly consistent with your first moan, or do the Chinese Thais (who largely run and own the country) not qualify as real Thais in your mind?

Yeh, road traffic issues are an other animal. 

It's like a dog's breakfast. 

You're comment made me think about the elderly Australian guy who ran over a Thai guy on Soi Kophai and threatened him with a machete, a few years back, the Thai guy (gold shop owner) bashed the Aussie in front of his daughter at the school, he was picking her up.

I didn't mention it but the the Chinese Thai guy looked p1ssed out of his mind. He was harmless, if he had of been aggressive he would have run over the top of me. 

I thought it was someone I knew, pushing me from behind. I've been driving/riding on roads from 17yo, never experienced that before, strange feeling. 

These are the dangers on our roads early Saturday and Sunday mornings, drunk drivers who've been out drinking all night. 

You're probably looking into my post too deeply, thanks for bringing it to my attention. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

30 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

During rebranding in 2021 by CP Group, Tesco was dropped and Lotus's was introduced.

Don't care WHO rebranded Tesco, Lotus's is still bad English. Aparrently it means Lotus'Smart, so I read somewhere.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

For the unknowing: this obviously happened in Pattaya.

Surprised?:biggrin:

There are good days and bad days in Pattaya, just like like every other town and city in the world. Even jungle clearings in Isaan. 

A few weeks ago I was riding my motorcycle in the left lane and there was a pick up truck right behind me. Then I saw in my rear view the truck moved to the right lane and came next to me with "left turn signal on" and honking. I realized that the driver is looking for trouble. I looked at the truck and continued my way. Then the driver came back to the left lane and turned into a soy on the left. 
amazing Thailand