How desperate are you to stay in Thailand?

bob smith

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Paperwork for marriage extension is the same now as it was in 2010.

Yep, nothing has changed since 2000, I don't think, and no part of it is difficult.  Photos are a bit strange, and thank you fellow scamming expats for that.  The whole process is quite easy and inexpensive.  IMHO

• Like 2

i would just like to say that I love thailand and love living here. I do however take issue with being made to feel like a criminal every 90 days with these juvenile reports. Did I get off at the wrong station? are we in North Korea?? only kidding, well kind of.

Goin back to the multi entry visas will allow me to kill 2 birds with one stone: get a nice shiny new visa sticker in m passport every 15 months and have a dirty weekend away from the pryin eyes of the mrs. them lao birds are alright ya know! hehehe

27 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

To paraphrase Tuco:

When you have to leave, leave, don't talk.

555 - that's GREAT !

Wonder how many got it ???

Edited by seedy

5 minutes ago, bob smith said:

i would just like to say that I love thailand and love living here. I do however take issue with being made to feel like a criminal every 90 days with these juvenile reports. Did I get off at the wrong station? are we in North Korea?? only kidding, well kind of.

Goin back to the multi entry visas will allow me to kill 2 birds with one stone: get a nice shiny new visa sticker in m passport every 15 months and have a dirty weekend away from the pryin eyes of the mrs. them lao birds are alright ya know! hehehe

Why does it make you  feel like a criminal? I just did my 90 day report today at Immigration  not the police or prison and it was quick, easy and helpful  with people chatting and laughing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Why does it make you  feel like a criminal? I just did my 90 day report today at Immigration  not the police or prison and it was quick, easy and helpful  with people chatting and laughing.

why do they need to keep tabs on us??? its like something out of 1984, innit??

dont tell me, 'it'd their country their rules, right?' lol lol

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I can sort of sympathise with you, although I am not desperate to stay in Thailand, however similar to you, it offers me the best lifestyle I could imagine on my pension and assets, certainly more then it would in NZ or Oz (I have relatives there).

Figure of speech, I could probably move to Cambodia or Laos, but Thailand has better infrastructure, and I'm too old to be learning yet another Asian language.

I could go back to Australia and buy a mobile home, but I'd be bored out of my skull there. Wrinkled whales don't appeal either.

• Like 2

and wats this about them wanting to 'lure' wealthy foreigners to the country?? wht welahty dude in their right mind wants to move here and report themselves every 90 days to some IO who just graduated from the police academy. got richard branson adnd jeff bezos chompin at the bit i bet ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bob smith said:

from the sounds of things your wife should be keeping tabs on you. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, bob smith said:

You can't manage about 2 minutes of your time online to do a 90 day report? Life is so hard.

57 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Saigon is a much better destination for your ME 'o' IMHO.

Direct flight and no queues like Savannakhet.

• Like 1

I think some can not else than stay Thailand if they " burned their ship(s)" in home country or made family here in Thailand....

I am leaving Thailand after 13 years volontary way ....to home country ( home ships awaiting me there ????)

And if my country changed too much i fly out a new to new frontiers ...example those  French oversea islands as i have  read here on Asea a very tempting expat proposition a few months ago for E.U. citizens ( damn ! I forgot that Island topic name...) ????

This just as reserve option .

Edited by david555

40 minutes ago, bob smith said:

some of us have more self respect i guess. each to their own though m8

Some of us don't make mountains out of molehills.

You're talking about self-respect, when you are on your own admission off to score some nookie in another country? Wow.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

Your telephone probably keeps more tabs on you than immigration. It really is not a big deal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

If the marriage extension is too big a problem for you (once a year)

change to a retirement Extension (if over 50 ) , its so easy , but you

are going to need 800K Baht in bank, 

regards worgeordie

Not necessarily true, depended on your embassy give you proof of income letter or not!

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

I've lived all over the world - The UK monitors everyone with CCtv and face and gait recognition  technology- in the MENA region all foreigners have their  finger prints taken..report every 90 days does not bother me at all - we should do it in the UK too but the British are not efficient enough to organise it. The only people who moan about Thailand are provincals who have little  or no travel experience- we used to be followed around in Russia by police..If you find it too difficult to cooperate with foreign laws best you stay in Britain.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I've lived all over the world - The UK monitors everyone with CCtv and face and gait recognition  technology- in the MENA region all foreigners have their  finger prints taken..report every 90 days does not bother me at all - we should do it in the UK too but the British are not efficient enough to organise it. The only people who moan about Thailand are provincals who have little  or no travel experience- we used to be followed around in Russia by police..If you find it too difficult to cooperate with foreign laws best you stay in Britain.

There is no 90 day reporting in the west for any foreign national. I fail to see your point 

34 minutes ago, bob smith said:

There is no 90 day reporting in the west for any foreign national. I fail to see your point 

They monitor you daily in the  UK with CCtv combined with gait and face recognition technology. You fail to see my point because  you did not read what I wrote or you fail  to understand the use of CCtv in UK or don't understand face and gait recognition  technology and how it is far more intrusive than 90 reporting. Currently in the UK we have over  thousands of illegal  immigrants who are not monitored.  I WISH WE HAD 90 DAY REPORTING IN THE UK.  You say there is no 90 day reporting in the west so- go and live there if it bothers you so much...It does not bother me at all.

10 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

They monitor you daily in the  UK with CCtv combined with gait and face recognition technology. You fail to see my point because  you did not read what I wrote or you fail  to understand the use of CCtv in UK or don't understand face and gait recognition  technology and how it is far more intrusive than 90 reporting. Currently in the UK we have over  thousands of illegal  immigrants who are not monitored.  I WISH WE HAD 90 DAY REPORTING IN THE UK.  You say there is no 90 day reporting in the west so- go and live there if it bothers you so much...It does not bother me at all.

You sir are a clown. Keep it up

• Like 1

I got a lovely loving wife half my age who spoiled me rotten for ten years now, we got a lovely air-con fitted 5 bedroomed house (too big but the family were supposed to join us - didn't want to surrender their independence in the end) got 4 dogs, 2 old cars, well, one is a truck actually, and an older motorcycle. We got my pension, and that's it! All of us live on that, frugally I might add. 

We got internet, I got my computer and an all-in-one printer. Every 90 days I got a scanned form on the computer on which I add only the date, print along with address labels, sign, put in an envelope with a stamped addressed envelope, scanned prints of passport, expiring 90 day receipt, and post for 30 baht tracked and signed. It usually comes back after a month to 6 weeks, this month it was as usual posted 15 days before expiry, came back 5 days after expiry - some sort of record for them.

Once a year I print off all the papers saved over previous years, scans of passport plus the last page scan added each year, scan copy of marriage certificate and legalised translation etc, print off the same old picture poses but new pictures, We of course wear different clothes each year, otherwise we stand outside the house by the house number, in the garden, in the lounge, sitting on the bed - same locations and poses every year.; The IO asks "are these new pics?" Yes, same places of course - house doesn't change, dogs around our feet the same, furniture the same, different bed spreads, what do you expect?

We turn up, get our queue tickets at Chang Wattana,  get the papers checked, having popped downstairs to get yet another set of pics and a letter from the bank plus a print of the bank-book after taking out the Immigration fee  and go get a snack, visit toilets, get a drink, whatever while we wait our turn. Once seen we come back after 4 - 5 weeks, get yet another photo-copy of the bank book showing balance, usually getting out with stamp an hour later and that's it for another 11 months.

Getting papers together is pretty easy, we do have to go to the local amphur to get e kor bor ror or whatever that particular pointless document is called, and of course the latest set of pics of me showing bigger belly, smaller hair, few more wrinkles, and the bank thing but the most arduous thing really apart from boredom waiting for our number is the drive there, usually rush hour and tedious in the extreme lasting nearly 2 hours. Stupidly it's under 45 minutes going home.

Would i live anywhere else - no way. I may not we particularly wanted here but I am treated fairly here and tolerated whereas my wife would have been deported from the UK once I retired unless she did the infamous "Life in the UK" test. Well dear readers, do YOU know how many golf courses there are in Scotland? (One of the questions!)

According to the wizened witch of Maidenhead who was Home Secretary at the time (Theresa May, still alive and proof that some prayers are slow to be answered) one needed £18,600 a year to keep a foreign wife, while the Pensions Service or Income Support reckoned for an English wife £7600 was more than ample. As my pension was nowhere near £18,600 pa we sold the house, car, caravan, bought a shipping container, welded bars all around it's walls to tie stuff too and spent a year loading it with everything, boats, trailer, outboard motors, tools and machines, kitchen white goods, pots & pans etc. The dining room suite was the only item of furniture packed apart from 3 tall display units, figuring beds etc were cheap here. We flew out the day after the container got loaded, we never went back and have no intention of ever going back.

Compared to the ultra-snooping UK with it's obsession with CCTV and road cameras Thailand is heaven. Sure we don't go boating - draconian laws on Captain and Engineer's licence requirements for even an outboard dinghy made it not worth the hassle, but driving is a dream really even if many Thais have a death wish, it gets too hot and we hate snakes, for the first we got air-con, for the 2nd we got caution and a wary eye. Had one monocled cobra (we killed that), one king cobra and several rat snake visitors which don't stay, but that's in 7 years and over the back wall is a disused farm rice field turning into a jungle so to be expected.

We like it here, the paperwork seems stupidly repetitive to be sure, but they haven't really got non top of computerised record-keeping yet, more of a mind-set than capability in the main I think, they love paper, suits their self-important psyche, but it is mostly same-o same o so an all-in-one and a laptop mean most of it is a case of simply printing off yet another set. Nothing to get excited about and for those of us retired gives one something to do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You must be the only farang who likes the music.

I travelled around the world and Thailand was the only place i really wanted to live, so complying with a few rules isn't so bad

"You must be the only farang who likes the music."

I like Morlam and other traditional music.

To me it isn't that different from western music, but I know it isn't for everybody.

I guess I am sort of a world music dork, but I find a lot of different music interesting.