Are consumers paying price for electricity mismanagement in Thailand?

webfact

image.jpeg

Over the next four months, electricity in Thailand will soar from 4 baht per unit to a record high of 4.72 baht.  Authorities blame the hike on rising global fuel prices, but critics argue that the government has a duty to cap utility bills, especially as many people are suffering COVID-related hardship.

The upcoming hike is a result of the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) approving an increase in the fuel tariff (FT) from September to December.

Monthly power bills list FT as one of the four charges alongside the base amount – which covers the cost of the power plant, infrastructure, power transmission – service charge, and value-added tax (VAT). So when the FT rises, so does the overall power bill.

The ERC decision means the FT will jump by 0.6866 baht to 0.9348 baht per unit from September to December.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/are-consumers-paying-price-for-electricity-mismanagement-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-08-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

All over the world Governments and bsinesses are investing in solar and win energy. What does Thailand do?? Almost nowhere we see solar energy, which is cheap as there is plenty of sunshine every day, but no investment and stimulating are made.

There's solar farms all over the country....there are 3 just outside Cha Am...I guess you don't get out into the country much?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

All over the world Governments and bsinesses are investing in solar and win energy. What does Thailand do?? Almost nowhere we see solar energy, which is cheap as there is plenty of sunshine every day, but no investment and stimulating are made.

Alot of solar farms here in sunny Kanchanaburi.

In the UK there has been much investment in energy saving: loft insulation; double glazing; new boilers for old.  In Thailand consumers are routinely scammed by family cartels that collaborate to fix prices and wrangle to divvy out market shares with no interference.  As an example look at the price of underarm deodorants which are often 500% higher than the Aldi price (though these don't have the armpit whitening facility so prized by two-toned Thais.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Maybe you do not look well enough, solar and wind energy is produced in Thailand, not as much as one wishes but still.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Off topic prize of the month.....from electricity prices, linked to underarm sprays!:clap2:

Yes but deodorants will become much more of a necessity when people can no longer afford to run their air cons...

• Haha 1

I have my own electricity supply via a 30 KVA transformer my bill comes each month from the PEA when I work out the units used and divide the total number by the bill my electricity cost is already over the 5 baht mark that includes a monthly service charge for my transformer and the 7% vat I am imagine as of next week my cost per unit will be as much as 6 baht. Im glad that when I built my home I invested in low voltage energy from lights , aircon units, fans , the list is never ending but I know had I not done that my monthly bill would be double the cost . I am now looking into installing a couple of solar panels purely as back up as over the last couple of years the price has fallen considerably electrical products with built in inverter’s is the way to go yes a bit more expensive but energy savings soon makes up for it .

3 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I have my own electricity supply via a 30 KVA transformer my bill comes each month from the PEA when I work out the units used and divide the total number by the bill my electricity cost is already over the 5 baht mark that includes a monthly service charge for my transformer and the 7% vat......

Yes VAT on top and you have your own transformer.... mine works out at 4,7 baht/unit (on about 690 units)... still quite reasonable. 

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Solar and Wind power is not going to replace the fossil fuel generators. People need to see the reality of this. Maybe in the future they replace conventional fuels but not right now. The Thai system needs to think about ring main type systems so it on station trips the load can be fed from the rest of the network. Of course they will need a decent spin reserve in order to do this which I doubt is currently in place.

If it is bad now think how bad it would be if everyone changed their cars to EV's..............it would be a nightmare.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They have a 'cap' in the UK yet are being subjected to horrendous price hikes..... I am sure we get our power substantially cheaper here. 

No doubt on that.

This "hike" being debated will take the price up to approx 11 pence per unit.

Current price in the UK is 27 pence per unit and set to rise.

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Many reservoirs in Thailand have solar panels... look westward towards Kanchanaburi way.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Monthly power bills list FT as one of the four charges alongside the base amount – which covers the cost of the power plant, infrastructure, power transmission – service charge, and value-added tax (VAT). So when the FT rises, so does the overall power bill.

The ERC decision means the FT will jump by 0.6866 baht to 0.9348 baht per unit from September to December.

This should read 

" Plus Service Charge and Vat of 7 % on the total accumulated Bill total "

The FT rate at present is 0.2477 Baht per Unit

On a bill of 952 Units costing 3,983.49 Baht this adds 235.81 Baht to the running total

With the same Bill of 952 Units costing 3,983.49 the new FT rate of 0.9398 would add the sum of 894.69 to the Bill running total

Thats a difference of 640.88 Baht - no small amount an approximate rise of around 18 %

And dont forget that 7 % VAT has to be added to both these sums, thats an additional 45 baht to pay on the new FT rate over the old one as well.

The Bills would read like this

Consumption     952 Units

costing 3983.49 Baht

Service charge  46.16

FT rate @ 0.2477 Baht per Unit = 235.81 Baht

Sub Total 4265.46 Baht

VAT @ 7 % 298.58 Baht

Final Total = 4564.04 Baht

Consumption     952 Units

costing 3983.49 Baht

Service charge 46.16

NEW FT RATE @ 0.9398 Baht per Unit = 894.68 Baht

Sub Total 4924.33 Baht

VAT @ 7 % = 344.70

Final Total = 5269.03

Thats a difference of 704.98 Baht to pay.

And that brings me too .......

Are the Meters going to be read on 1 Sept , as many will have half a Month of the old FT rate before the new rate kicks in on 1 Sept

If not, this could effectively make the rise in Electric NOT from the 1st September, but from the Date of your previous Meter reading,

And as demonstrated above, this could mean a considerable amount falsely added to your September Bill.

I hate to think what this will do to the already rampant Inflation in the Country, and the Household Consumers are going to have to pay for the increases twice.

Once on their own personal Bill, and again through raised prices on everything from Toilet Rolls to Cars.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They have a 'cap' in the UK yet are being subjected to horrendous price hikes..... I am sure we get our power substantially cheaper here. 

Currently 6,000 pounds per year per household. Considering this months bill was 271bht (66 units), I prefer the prices in Thailand. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Currently 6,000 pounds per year per household. Considering this months bill was 271bht (66 units), I prefer the prices in Thailand. 

That is for the 'average' household apparently. I had a UK pal trying to explain it to me on Whatapp.  You get an even better deal here being a low consumer.....