Thailand’s once mighty foreign tourism industry lastingly damaged with lower spends and numbers

webfact

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s foreign tourism sector appears to have suffered permanent damage due to the country’s emergency since 2020 with projected visitor numbers and a foreign tourism revenue stream this year which will be between 65% and 75% lower than that seen in 2019.

Well I don't see how they think it's permanent.

It is fairly obvious that returning tourists will spend less if there is less to spend on. Many small businesses have gone out of business - As said about a year ago, unless the government 

makes more effort to support small businesses to recover the damage COLD be permanent to longterm, but one hopes they'll raise this.

It should also be noted that Chinese were some of the consistently highest spenders on a daily basis and they used to compose about 25% of the market - they are yet to return

• Like 1

The problem Thailand's tourism suffers from is the incompetence of the country's leaders and the heads of the various institutions.

The lack of realistic goals, sensible planning, clearly defined measures, concerted coordination and communication is catastrophic.

For the exogenous factors like the Russian war, China's Zero C19 policy, fuel costs, etc Thailand can't do anything.

But for all endogenous factors yes. And these are handled super badly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Very important point to drive home. People are already starting to backpedal but we mustn't let them. It's common now to hear "because of COVID ..." Wrong, because of YOU, it was your personal actions and your fault for implementing or supporting certain policies. Never forget, never forgive.

Yes. But imagine any official here taking responsibility for problems of their own making? Much less tiny men like Cha Cha and Prawit? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not to worry, Indian trillionnaires to save the day! 1 million of them expected to arrive on Dec. 31st, on 99 chartered airplanes...

Buddies in Pattaya reports: they are flooded with indians. but it appears they are all hoarded off to newly purpose built night clubs for them. Apparently, many restaurants catering to their cuisine are busy as well.

Apparently the new pricing structure from agogo industry (BF ranging from 1500-2500) would also discourage patrons from participating

Chinese people will be back at some point.

Indians are already there.

Retirement boom in the West = more old farangs.

The demographics might change, money might be generated differently but at the end of the day, tourism in Thailand will recover in the long run.

Might take some time though.

I feel a bit sorry for all those businesses opening everywhere right now. Owners might be in for a nasty surprise if we have a double dip recession...

Edited by Baron Samedi
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Banning masks would be a good start 

Otherwise, thais will be wearing them for many years to come.

Sorry VinnieK, but even I wouldn’t go so far as to BAN masks. Maybe just gently encouraging people that constantly wearing a face mask to slightly reduce the chances of contracting a virus that for the great majority of people causes symptoms no worse than influenza or a bad cold is a little over the top. I do fear, however, that you’re correct in that Thai people will be wearing them for many years to come.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, smedly said:

what magical scheme will they come up with next to reduce the numbers further, there has to be something that excels beyond anything they have done up to now.....can they out do themselves in blatant stupidly ?, tall order but I bet they succeed 

I got one for you

I travel CNX to Sydney, last night I went to check in could do the CNX to BKK ok gets to BKK about 2.30 pm then my booked flight to Sydney at about 6.00pm was changed to 8.30am the same day, first i thought they have a plane that can go back in time, not to be

So a frantic phone call to Thai Airways (amazed I  got through) got a flight booked BKK to Sydney for the next day, so have to stay over night and pay for hotel.

I was told by Thai Airways they are no longer flying BKK to Sydney in the afternoon only 8.30 am.

So $270 later for the Novertel at the airport.

Welcome Tourists visit Chiang Mai with the hidden extra costs

• Confused 1

Good luck Thailand, inflation is out of control. Stock market is in shambles. Thailand is not doing any better but they think they are the center of the universe for travel...hahahaha

Problem is the prediction is that for the next 5 years minimum it is going to be nightmare at best for many countries and their citizens.

As far as not spending as much. I am in that category. As usual as inflation bites the US dollar goes to record highs. So I only came here because I have a few bucks saved and the hotels are offering huge discounts. If not for that I would not set foot here. I am one of the ones that is not putting up with the stupid immigration and visa rules.. In a nut shell Scr$w Thailand.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mania said:

ANA & United have some good deals going.

Also not sure if true as we couldn't wait to book but some say airfares always drop after Labor day in the US

Will see as that is Monday

Prices from Europe are very high at the moment. They will drop a little now the school holidays are ending but Christmas, a time when they are always higher, is crazy at the moment.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Purdey said:

France is a major economy and makes it easy to enjoy their culture with well organized tourist venues. Is there dual pricing on entry to the Eiffel Tower?

Although its about 1000 Baht to get to the top of the Eiffel tower , which is about double what Thai dual price attractions charge  

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although its about 1000 Baht to get to the top of the Eiffel tower , which is about double what Thai dual price attractions charge  

The average Frenchman probably earns 10x that of a Thai. Naive to compare western attractions/prices to a developing country like that. 

Main reasons are money, covid restrictions and hassles at airports etc, and the fact that when Europeans traditionally book their summer holidays Thailand was still heavily restricted. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You can’t compare the two. When you hire anyone in France you pay their URSSAF social security, Ameli free health for most, health insurance compliment ( Mutuelle) . They get 40 hrs week , or less, are paid from the SS when they are sick, get paid holidays 5 weeks a year, and, at the end , a usually good pension until they die. People on the dole are paid , every one gets a free obligatory education, children do not work, a family get free health care, plus benefits for every child a family has , tax free for most etc etc etc. Tell me how Thai workers  are protected please ? All that, comes at a cost. This is why western countries have higher prices for food/ hotels / houses etc. It’s not rocket science. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

The average Frenchman probably earns 10x that of a Thai. Naive to compare western attractions/prices to a developing country like that. 

So why shouldn't a Frenchman pay more to get into some places in Thailand , after all, he receives more money than Thais ?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Banning masks would be a good start 

Otherwise, thais will be wearing them for many years to come.

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet and I find less Thais are wearing masks out here. I carry a mask but don't normally wear it and so far nobody locally has asked me to put it on in any of the shops or markets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet and I find less Thais are wearing masks out here. I carry a mask but don't normally wear it and so far nobody locally has asked me to put it on in any of the shops or markets.

This is probably more realistic reflection of currents trends upcountry. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"lastingly damaged"

And they know that after the Covid restrictions are lifted since maybe 1/2 years?

Yes, something/someone is definitely "lastingly damaged"...

Many hotels/restaurants are out of business.  Many that are still here have borrowed to the hilt.

Tourists will always come to Thailand though. 

• Like 2