Expats have it good in Thailand.

swissie

39 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Australian dollar down to 23 something. Seems like when things like stock market falls and economic problems happen in the US Australia seems to be more affected that the US itself. 

America sneezes and Australia catches a covid

57 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

I dont usually get involved in others conversation, but where did they insult young people they pointed out that they were signing up for life times to buy over priced properties and given large loans when interest rates were low and many struggle as they rise.

Quite. I bought my first house in 1976 and within 3 years inflation was over 18%. The big difference then was that lending criteria was much stricter and larger deposits were required.

2 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

some people value friends.   some value having a "home".  some value security.  some value relationships.  some value nice things.  some value nationalism.  some value freedom.  some value trust.  some value safe streets.  some value animal protection.  

none of these things you will get in LOS.  

What a nonsense, besides the nationalism (which i don't care about) and animal protection, i got it all.

12 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The standard of living enjoyed by many here is far better than they would ever have achieved in their home country.

The positives here far outway the negatives for most. Its also fair to say that the country most have left actually no longer exists as it was when they were resident and is consigned to history and memories.

I left Australia, I am pretty sure it still exists.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In average anybody living outside their home country will do better than within. Because in average all the stupid, poor, uneducated, etc. people won't go to live in another country. They stay home - they have no other choice.

So, as difficult as it is to believe this sometimes, the foreigners living here are in average above average of people in those countries... 

Poor, yes. I have doubts about the other 2. 

• Haha 1

I've had the pleasure of residing in ten countries since university, at minimum for 2 years at a time. All have their drawbacks, all have their upsides.

Over time, and with experience, one comes to accept the drawbacks and celebrate the upsides. Thailand is a pretty easy and pretty comfortable place to live. Immigration issues will never go away (especially if one is on a Non-B Business visa and is a business owner, as the IOs try to extract as much in 'tributes' as they think they can get; the most sought after IO, for which applicants actually pay to get, is the "M" area at Chaengwatthana). But that minor irritation is once a year.

Absent that, it's all biscuits and gravy. I had enough snow as a child; unless one is an avid skier, snow gets old at about age 22. If I feel the need for snow I can buy one of those little desk ornaments one shakes and flakes fall on a mini-landscape. Rain can be a pain, but it's also sometimes exciting. The other day it fell so hard I could barely hear the thunder. Thai food is a joy, and there's plenty of other cuisine if one needs variety. Suvarnabhumi is a hub, so getting anywhere else in the world---should one get foolish and wish to go somewhere---is a piece of cake. Commo is generally easy and reliable. There's golf for those who like that, or beaches for others. Staying in shape is easy, as there's plenty of good gyms and the climate is conducive to year round sports. Should a man find himself in need of company, Thailand does offer that, too (not that I would ever give in to that temptation).

Oh, maybe the air in Bangkok is not healthy, but that and Immigration 'tributes' are about all the negatives I can muster.

Enjoy what Thailand gives you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Australian dollar down to 23 something. Seems like when things like stock market falls and economic problems happen in the US Australia seems to be more affected that the US itself. 

You obviously have no idea what the real issues are here.  

At its last meeting the RBA took its foot of the rate increase peddle.  Lowe has made a decision to sacrifice the AUD in order to TRY and stop the Australian residential property market from collapsing entirely.  This decision is entirely political.  Boomers have the largest voting mandate in Australia.  Boomers will still be able to brag their house is worth a million oz dollars, but the AUD will be trading at 48c USD.

The outcome of this retarded and abhorent decision however, is that the AUD will collapse, it is heading for sub 20 THB if Lowe fails to raise by at least .50 at the November meeting.  Lowe is also pi**ing in the wind because as the AUD collapses he will import additional inflation on goods purchased from abroad.  So CPI figures will rise expontentially.

Lots of uncertainty at the moment but two things are crystal clear:

1. The AUD is toast

2. The Australian residential property market is toast

A lesser issue here is also that the BOT is now stepping in to buy the baht.  I already started another thread on this if you check my post history.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hummin said:

Those who moved 10 - 15 years ago, did not predict the strong baht, and many regret today they sold everything they had, and invested in a life here. 

Or if here earlier, me, 22 yrs, and the baht has yet to recover/weaken to where it was when I arrived/40, or a year-ish later/45.

At 40, I lost 25% when dips to 30, too many times.  With inflation over those 20ish year, easily 100-150%. 

COLA, well they are a joke themselves, with 4 yrs of NO inflation in the USA ????  Expect the next one this month to be a joke.  Ask anyone in the USA, and they'll tell you inflation now, 2022 is easily in the 20% ish range, if not higher.  I don't expect much of a COLA, and maybe 6 ish %, 8 if really lucky.   Only good thing, it's mid terms, so they'll be a bit more generous.

Large eggs were 3 for 5 baht, in 2000 now knocking of 5 baht each.  143 for the last tray of 30 we bought.  All meats & fish were half to 1/3 what the price is now.   2 liter of milk, could catch on sale for 39 baht, now off sale, 91.  

91 petrol < 14 baht.

Reality for many of us, it cost at least 2X as much to live here, and our money is worth less than when we arrived. 

Planning is everything, along with adapting & adjusting.  Not the forte' of many people, and why many have left.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

At its last meeting the RBA took its foot of the rate increase peddle.  Lowe has made a decision to sacrifice the AUD in order to TRY and stop the Australian residential property market from collapsing entirely.  This decision is entirely political.  Boomers have the largest voting mandate in Australia.

The outcome of this retarded and abhorent decision however, is that the AUD will collapse, it is heading for sub 20 THB if Lowe fails to raise by at least .50 at the November meeting.  Lowe is also pi**ing in the wind because as the AUD collapses he will import additional inflation on goods purchased from abroad.  So CPI figures will rise expontentially.

A lesser issue here is also that the BOT is now stepping in to buy the baht.  I already started another thread on this if you check my post history.

Sure the last rate rise was 0.25 instead of 0.5 but a lot of the fall in AUD to USD had been before this when rates were rising at expected rates. Sometimes limited rate rises are a good sign that inflation has peaked ie Australia has less inflation than the United States in the past 12 months. Not sure too if it is political to raise rates less given no upcoming election. Accept though that recent drop could be directly related to limited rise in rates. It’s difficult of course - raise rates too much and demand stalls and then you are guaranteed a recession. Off topic so delete if necessary. Not off topic for me as it affects the future options.

6 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Sure the last rate rise was 0.25 instead of 0.5 but a lot of the fall in AUD to USD had been before this when rates were rising at expected rates. Sometimes limited rate rises are a good sign that inflation has peaked ie Australia has less inflation than the United States in the past 12 months. Not sure too if it is political to raise rates less given no upcoming election. Accept though that recent drop could be directly related to limited rise in rates. It’s difficult of course - raise rates too much and demand stalls and then you are guaranteed a recession. Off topic so delete if necessary. Not off topic for me as it affects the future options.

If you think inflation has peaked in Australia you are absolutely deluded.  It is just getting started. 

As long it is Status Q it will be good in the future, but we cant tell or predict how it is going to be. 

Those who moved 10 - 15 years ago, did not predict the strong baht, and many regret today they sold everything they had, and invested in a life here. 

It can be better, and it can be worse. So far I agree

As long it is Status Q it will be good in the future, but we cant tell or predict how it is going to be. 

It can be better, and it can be worse. So far I agree

CharlieH has got it spot on. This country has bad problems mostly regarding the RTP and the soldiers government. But the good sure outweighs the bad here in Thailand.

Unlike in the UK, the Thai government are not going to be responsible for many deaths among it's old folk because of greedy capitalists forcing them to make a choice of either eating or keeping warm.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

At its last meeting the RBA took its foot of the rate increase peddle.  Lowe has made a decision to sacrifice the AUD in order to TRY and stop the Australian residential property market from collapsing entirely.  This decision is entirely political.  Boomers have the largest voting mandate in Australia.  Boomers will still be able to brag their house is worth a million oz dollars, but the AUD will be trading at 48c USD.

Lots of uncertainty at the moment but two things are crystal clear:

1. The AUD is toast

2. The Australian residential property market is toast

I have seen predictions of the AUD's collapse before, they never seem to eventuate.

Australia exports a lot of the world's iron ore, natural gas, agriculture and seafood. China has just realized having a hissy fit over what some politician says is biting off one's nose to spite one's face. Lithium has joined the export parade, Australia mines more than the next two countries combined.

There are not too many countries that are not raising interest rates as well, which is why I am reasonably sanguine about my AUD pension, which gets COL adjustment.

13 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

I moved here 10-15 years ago and didn't sell anything to 'invest in a life here'.

I use an agent that does everything re: immigration. They collect and deliver everything to my doorstep.

Not everybody gets involved with a person whose family needs money, and actually spends yours. What on Earth is that about? Why are you in that situation? 

"Not everybody gets involved with a person whose family needs money, and actually spends yours. What on Earth is that about? Why are you in that situation?"   

I Have never been asked by any of my wife's family for anything regarding money, although I did make it plain that her money stays hers, and mine stays mine before we agreed to be together.

I went out with several Thai girls before I met my wife, although none from the bars, and in some cases It was obvious money was their motivation.

The type of farang in most cases who ends up in a family who needs money, is the ugly fat bellied, tattoo covered guy who could not score in his own country, met and married the first good looker he pulled from the bar, and I think most of us know the rest.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andycoops said:

It certainly beats living in the toilet that the UK has become.

Politically becoming as unstable as Italy with a revolving door of PMs unelected by the citizens.

Economy and cost of living crisis almost becoming impossible to survive in.

As far as Thai relatives spending too much of your money, all you need to do is say is no.

Obviously the Thai bureaucracy is beyond our control as mere guests.

Personally I love the hot weather which is one of the main reasons I retired here.

Wouldn't change my life here for anything.

Great post except for saying we are "guests".  Guests are invited, we are not, as you say "Obviously the Thai bureaucracy is beyond our control".

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Arriving in Vancouver for a visit few years back, made my way to one of the Immigration booths,  had a Sikh officer with full head attire on ask "where you coming from" I almost asked him the same question......

And the correct answer would be, "Canada", as your travel itinerary is none of his business.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Not everybody gets involved with a person whose family needs money, and actually spends yours. What on Earth is that about? Why are you in that situation?"   

I Have never been asked by any of my wife's family for anything regarding money, although I did make it plain that her money stays hers, and mine stays mine before we agreed to be together.

I went out with several Thai girls before I met my wife, although none from the bars, and in some cases It was obvious money was their motivation.

The type of farang in most cases who ends up in a family who needs money, is the ugly fat bellied, tattoo covered guy who could not score in his own country, met and married the first good looker he pulled from the bar, and I think most of us know the rest.

I get asked from time to time.  But the answer is always no...and has been for nearly a couple of decades now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Back in the UK I didn't meet many 60+ year olds (ugly, fat, tattooed or not) that could score a 30 year old.

Paul McCartney being the exception, but even he couldn't find a whole one.

As a 50 year old, I met and stayed with a 28 year old for nearly 3 years, not long before I first came to Thailand. That was one of the reasons I came to live in Thailand, because I knew I would never do that again.

While I'm here, did Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones not score with a 14 year old at the age of 47.

4 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

some people value friends.   some value having a "home".  some value security.  some value relationships.  some value nice things.  some value nationalism.  some value freedom.  some value trust.  some value safe streets.  some value animal protection.  

none of these things you will get in LOS.  

BUT you will get a room, Pattaya girls!!!, and nobody will bother you until you die.

I'm not retired here, so I can joke all I want.   You are delusional if you think LOS is better than falangland.  It might be "better" for you because you can't enjoy what falang land has to offer, but that's like a homeless person creating a thread about how living in the park is better than a mansion.  In ways, it might be.  

"I'm not retired here, so I can joke all I want."  You are obviously not retired here coming away with statements like that. I would doubt if you have ever been retired here. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

If you think inflation has peaked in Australia you are absolutely deluded.  It is just getting started. 

Deluded is a bit strong considering I am stating a consideration rather than a strong opinion. As you know suggesting inflation may have peaked at say 7 or 8 per cent simply means prices will continue to rise at that rate and hopefully subsequently increase at a lesser rate - not that prices have stabilised. Thailand, and many other countries, have not been increasing their rates as much as Australia. There are different methods to achieve overall economic prosperity - hope the RBA know what they are doing.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

There are still people I can have a civilized discussion with, you are not one of them.

I could be if you didn't speak so badly of your GF - and tried to brag just a bit less... though I think that might be challenging for you - - you don't have me on ignore it seems?