How much do the average Thai person earn ?

Baron Samedi

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I could do it on 5k a month, non farm.  Though that would be pretty basic.  Actually all I would need for food, 150 a day, as would be my only mandatory bill.  Amazing when you think about it.

Here in Pranburi we bought a large bunch of Bananas just a few ago, 25 Bananas on the cluster for a mere 20 Thb....I may end up making banana bread by the time we whittle the bunch down.....3 a day per my GF and myself leaves not much else to eat....lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here in Pranburi we bought a large bunch of Bananas just a few ago, 25 Bananas on the cluster for a mere 20 Thb....I may end up making banana bread by the time we whittle the bunch down.....3 a day per my GF and myself leaves not much else to eat....lol

Damn, stone's throw away.

Drove by yesterday, to/from Imm.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Just because you know little about how poor people manage,  it is silly to challenge me you surely know i would not want to live like that and couldn't I'm not Thai. 

They have no choice and don't do well and go without in some cases whether self inflicted or from an accident or wore out parts of the body. 

They can get 2 free meals a day at the village temple if they want. 

B.I.L. gets 800 baht a month because unable to work.

S.I.L. gets 700 + 400+ 300 to buy rice. 

Their electric bills are usually free because they use 5/15 and little electric.

My wife pays for their water. 

My wife's family another 2 brothers and sister bring food as well. 

The eldest sister gets 800 baht from govt and works in my wife's cafe' restaurant with my wife's great nephew who we put through college to be a Chef and cannot get a job yet because he has no experience. ????

Haha your response shows how how pathetic the govt money is, if they can even get any which most do not. I have a family here with a farm and employ laborers so I'm more than aware of their plight and stand by what I wrote. 

• Haha 1

Wife earned about 35,0000 per month as a University teacher in Maha Sarakham. Lower end of the pay scale as she was new to the position. Expected to work pretty much 7 days a week.

She claimed she would earn 60,000 if she made a doctorate position, but would take three years of studying at her own expense.

Now happily makes that much in the UK without all of the education department faffing that she used to have to do...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

If I were on my own, I could live for 2,400 baht a month. at the farm.

I would struggle a little on 2400,- even we are 30% self sufficient.

The main thing is not what you spend on average, but what you have in liquid when you need it. Also money for travel, emergencies, repairs, service, insurance etc

IMG_20221019_141609.jpg

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

If Thai have land to farming they dont need much money. Like my mother and father in law's. They only buy seasoning's, detergent,soap... etc. Everything else come from land and from nature. I think father in law havent use money in decade, all money what he get he give wife. He handle my Mrs rubber farm and all money from there give hes daughter, casoline for motor and for hes Kubota he buy on credit whitch mother in law pay once/month.

I was thinking that I would spend 40 baht a day on a meal. Fruit and veg can be bought very cheaply round the farms, Bananas, mangoes are cheap when available. Filter my drinking water, which would be saved - when it does rain - in big containers.

Not massively keen on insects, frogs and rats. So I'd concentrate on fruit and veg.

I would look after my cycle, as it is my transport. no need to go to town. Stone-wash my clothes. Wouldn't bother with ironing. Look after myself medically. Pull my own teeth. Look after any money I could save out of the 80 baht daily allowance for emergencies.

Might need to replace footwear now and again. But only 40 baht a pair, so no big expense. Would buy the occasional bag of biscuit for my cat. but mostly he would find food on the land.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"How much do the average Thai person earn ?"

200-250 baht a day for labor work despite the minimum wage at 325.

500-1000 a day for technicians and skilled labor.

If you're lucky to find a hard worker pay them well.  There far and few between. 

• Thanks 1

Before this latest round of rain started the fishing season here in my west coast village had just started.  The guy who moors his boat next to one of mine went out for a couple of hours one morning to set his nets (special three layered design for cuttlefish).  They are left in the sea over night and then he heads out the next morning to collect (also a couple of hours).  He returned with 36kg of cuttlefish on his first trip and the fish market bought it off him for 180 per kilo.  So for approximately 4 hours work and a little gasoline for his long tailed boat he made 6480 baht. He had a similiar sized catch the next day and then the storms and rain set in and have not let up since.

• Like 2

I think personal data can be more revealing than website averages.  

My experience are: not sure Thai people reveal the truth about salary but I think I knew these people well enough.  

One gal smart, 45 ish, great English with Aussie accent, sounded like rich well connected dad. Borrowed 1 mil from dad and was in the loan shark biz up in CM.  Was also a realtor. Had nice house, car, 3 kids, well traveled, loved fine food. She also had some permission to buy up government land that was for sale and then divide the land and sell it.  She has plenty of money but I never got a figure.  

45 yr old School director, masters degree. 45k/ mo around Udon thanni.   She was in serious debt.  Confirmed how expensive it was to buy a position in a big city or desirable location.  Was treated like royalty somewhat.  For a school week long athletic competition we picked up 100k cash at government office.  She easily could have kept most of that.  Lots of paid dinners, events, travel to cities for classes on government dime.  From what I learned directior at that school before her had scheduled lots of maintenance for the grounds.  Complete new long drive and drainage, painting, etc.   I'm sure there was kickback for him.   So he had funds to buy into a more lucrative school.  

Medical office receptionist: 22k/ mo 6 10 hour days, BKK. 

Retired govt nurse.  Pension 24k/ moved to Phuket and was doing shift work at resorts.  Really cool deal.  She could input her  desired days off for 2 months in future. From 0-30. She could choose day shifts 1000 baht or 24 hour shifts 2000.  I learned resorts like Panwa with over a certain number of guests have to have on staff nurses.   I got to lounge around these resorts all day.  Night times were usually not to busy and she had cots to sleep on.  Each morning she had to submit a detailed report on illnesses.   I was impressed.  She said tracking food illnesses was important.   She had quite an extensive medical cabinet.  I think the resort charged for this care and pills. And made money on this clinic.   She worked an average of 15 shifts a month so 40k.  She also had to do a drive by stop at a local food market.  She got 500 baht quickly by whichever family member was working.  Some type of loan deal I didn't get details on. 

Food service worker at top 10 hotels in BKK, pastry chef, and set up and break down for the ever ongoing meeting halls.  This hotel had like 10 big areas with movable walls.   It was a terrible job from what I learned.  Some rooms needed breakdown and set up 3 times in a day so this was a 24 hour job.  Seemed to work 80- 100 hours a week.  They had a tight schedule and drawings of new setups.  Seemed quite organized.  They had rooms these hard workers could catch some sleep in. She made 22k but had no life and worked harder than any person should. 

A receptionist at a BKK flooring co. Made 45 k / mo.  English good, attractive. 

School teacher with Dr, art teacher, school nurse NE BKK 80 I'm.  Made 65k.  I saw a list of salaries and many teachers over 55k.  So I think salaries for government teachers really vary.   Her school won some type of art completion and she got big bonus.  She had 2 houses, a house lot, truck, no debt.  50.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

15 to 25k is avg. Some make 200k.

The average in Bangkok is around 40K a month - I assume across the working population. Nonthaburi is highest, at a little more than the BKK number. This was published online a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, I can't find the link anymore. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, themongoose said:

Wife earned about 35,0000 per month as a University teacher in Maha Sarakham. Lower end of the pay scale as she was new to the position. Expected to work pretty much 7 days a week.

She claimed she would earn 60,000 if she made a doctorate position, but would take three years of studying at her own expense.

Now happily makes that much in the UK without all of the education department faffing that she used to have to do...

60K baht in th UK is not much....you can't live well on that....But in Thailand you can live well. 

In Thailand, shoudl wouldn't automatically get that high salary after getting a PhD. It's likely she woould have to work up to that. My wife got 14K a month 20 years ago when she got her PhD from Australia, then has had to work up the pay scale since then (Government college)

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I was thinking that I would spend 40 baht a day on a meal. Fruit and veg can be bought very cheaply round the farms, Bananas, mangoes are cheap when available. Filter my drinking water, which would be saved - when it does rain - in big containers.

Not massively keen on insects, frogs and rats. So I'd concentrate on fruit and veg.

I would look after my cycle, as it is my transport. no need to go to town. Stone-wash my clothes. Wouldn't bother with ironing. Look after myself medically. Pull my own teeth. Look after any money I could save out of the 80 baht daily allowance for emergencies.

Might need to replace footwear now and again. But only 40 baht a pair, so no big expense. Would buy the occasional bag of biscuit for my cat. but mostly he would find food on the land.

21st century cave man. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, DavisH said:

60K baht in th UK is not much....you can't live well on that....But in Thailand you can live well. 

In Thailand, shoudl wouldn't automatically get that high salary after getting a PhD. It's likely she woould have to work up to that. My wife got 14K a month 20 years ago when she got her PhD from Australia, then has had to work up the pay scale since then (Government college)

Education has little value in Thailand because of corruption and the patronage system.  An ex girlfriend of mine studied law at Chula on a full scholarship.  She was from a dirt poor village down south but she had a wonderful teacher at her school that helped her get the scholarship.

She graduated with top marks but struggled to get a decent job because she had no money to buy a position and no connections.  When I met her she was selling bedding on commission in Central Mall.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2022 at 8:36 AM, Peterw42 said:

So lets put this into perspective, the low end of your ridiculous figures are higher than average wage in US, UK, Australia, Canada, Japan etc.

Can only presume you mean yearly, not monthly, or you happen to hang out with CEOs of large companies, and brain surgeons.

Income of brain surgeons is overrated here.

12 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

If Thai have land to farming they dont need much money. Like my mother and father in law's. They only buy seasoning's, detergent,soap... etc. Everything else come from land and from nature. I think father in law havent use money in decade, all money what he get he give wife. He handle my Mrs rubber farm and all money from there give hes daughter, casoline for motor and for hes Kubota he buy on credit whitch mother in law pay once/month.

I can't believe what you wrote as accurate as rubber farming is labor entensive, not to mention fertilizing, watering, gas for equipment etc compared to the extremely low price of raw rubber brings, it's almost impossible to live on no money for a decade or even a year. Yeah local produce is cheap but that's a small portion of life so unless they live in a shack or they have other income I say not possible. My family has a rubber farm and I know the cost to maintain it and it isn't as you describe. 

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:

You forgot to include some coin for the twice weekly salad toss.

• Like 1

My wife has 18 years experience at a company in Chiang Mai (quasi-public but technically private) and she makes 50k/month + free housing (not great). Laborers at the same company earn minimum wage which is 7500/month and do side hustles to make extra cash (we hire 2 women to do laundry and cleaning).

• Thanks 1

I work for a Multinational Firm in BKK, where i would say most employees are middle to upper end of education.

Obviously it depends from department to department but would say new starters would be on about 35-40,000 THB per month, plus 2-3 months bonus (admin/secretary roles)

Experienced staff but not management level closer to 60-80,000 THB plus bonus or commission

Management and director level from 130-400 K plus bonus or commission

Technicians who normally are just higher education and vocational training about 17-19,000 K

The job market is very active at the moment and it is very difficult to retain good staff. Its one of the issues in Thailand in that many companies do not progress staff on a performance basis but more a length of service. Many younger staff tend to jump around for salary improvements as you are barely rewarded for long service, with a general pay rise of 3-4% per annum whereas if they move job they can jump up 50% in a go in the current labor market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Education has little value in Thailand because of corruption and the patronage system.  An ex girlfriend of mine studied law at Chula on a full scholarship.  She was from a dirt poor village down south but she had a wonderful teacher at her school that helped her get the scholarship.

She graduated with top marks but struggled to get a decent job because she had no money to buy a position and no connections.  When I met her she was selling bedding on commission in Central Mall.

Dark skin?

22 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Why are you helping Thai people, on normal Thai wages ? Does it make you think you are special ?  They are only low wages if compared to the west.

Thais live comfortable lives earning Thai wages and spending them in a Thai economy.

My neighbors in Jomtien, young guy and girl both work in 7/11 and have just got a mortgage and bought the condo next door, they didn't need a foreign benefactor.

You are very disconnected with the reality of their living situatuon and the true hardships thai's face living under these conditions. Bury your head in the sand if it helps you feel good as you appear clueless and\ or lack any empathy and understanding. 

13 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I work for a Multinational Firm in BKK, where i would say most employees are middle to upper end of education.

Obviously it depends from department to department but would say new starters would be on about 35-40,000 THB per month, plus 2-3 months bonus (admin/secretary roles)

Experienced staff but not management level closer to 60-80,000 THB plus bonus or commission

Management and director level from 130-400 K plus bonus or commission

Technicians who normally are just higher education and vocational training about 17-19,000 K

The job market is very active at the moment and it is very difficult to retain good staff. Its one of the issues in Thailand in that many companies do not progress staff on a performance basis but more a length of service. Many younger staff tend to jump around for salary improvements as you are barely rewarded for long service, with a general pay rise of 3-4% per annum whereas if they move job they can jump up 50% in a go in the current labor market.

That's certainly not the norm or common salary ranges and mostly due to being a foreign owned company. 

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

That's certainly not the norm or common salary ranges and mostly due to being a foreign owned company. 

Sure it might be above, but i know some of the local companies in the same business who also have some very good Thai staff i would like to poach, but they are happy where they are. When i have discussed with them on packages there salaries may average a little lower but its not by a large amount.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

21st century cave man. 

We don't need all this 5G and supercars. For the most part we are not any more happy than when we are looking after our pets or growing our food.

This idea that modern technology makes us happy is a myth.

Get with nature I say. Love the beauty around us. Ditch the phone.

5 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Sure it might be above, but i know some of the local companies in the same business who also have some very good Thai staff i would like to poach, but they are happy where they are. When i have discussed with them on packages there salaries may average a little lower but its not by a large amount.

Then you are in a very small slice of the Industry. Great for you and the few in your company but i don't your farther above the norm for most all working thai's