Thai teenager dressed up as “Jeffrey Dahmer” for Halloween harshly criticized on social media

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Spock said:

Thais don't have the same reason to fear the presence of a swastika. 

Given the level of history taught in Thai schools one wonders if they have ANY real idea of the true meaning of the swastika or indeed knowledge of the Third Reich and the death and destruction it caused.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Docno said:

My wife's Halloween costume has apparently been deemed unacceptable too this year as it supposedly lifts motifs from Mexican (Day of the Dead) culture. I didn't have the heart to tell her she was guilty of the heinous crime of cultural appropriation. Lucky for her, we live in this part of the world...
image.jpeg.b4e25c6a210467ce9be79ef4c948a43b.jpeg

! Ay Thai-ramba

Halloween is always going to attract fringe 'bad taste' costumes.  Most stick to ghouls, monsters and other classic horror characters, especially kids. 

Just hope this guy isn't part fulfilling a hidden fantasy!  Parents and friends keep tads on him to see if he likes dissecting animals and keeping manikins in his bed! 

On an aside, the Pattayanews website - geeze they need to tidy it up as the reader is just totally bombarded with pop-up ads and need to keep closing them just to read the story.  Over the top monetizing.  I don't use that site in general for that reason.

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

These "netizens" are way too full of themselves.

Like the show but I've been disagreeing with Bill Maher a bit lately. I agree with his overall sentiments on political correctness but I feel he is getting too cliched and even closed minded on some topics such as covid, the attitudes of young liberals and even this topic. He can sometimes use extreme examples to make fun of the left, and sometimes the right, that are not representative of their overall views. It's like the punchline is king. 

He gives obvious examples where costumes are of course fine.  Call me old fashioned, but I do not think it is cute, fun or ironic for kids to dress as an appalling serial killer or as Hitler. Not saying ban it but having a line in the sand is sensible and not being a wowser. 

• Like 1

The Swiztika was a sign of "good fortune" and "well being" in many Asian religions until Hitler stole it in the rise of fascism in the 30's. Unfortunately I like most can only associate it with the Nazi's. 

On a minor scale the English flag is often seen as a symbol of racism because it has been used by racist people to suit their agenda. I personally want my flag back and flying wherever I choose without any complaints from anyone in our country.

15 hours ago, Gold Star said:

Well, it would be too common to go out dressed as Hitler with all the Hitler T-shirts and swastika stuff sold at most markets here in Thailand. 

Funny how some things strike sensitive nerves here and other things don't.

Funny you mentioned that.  At the outdoor market here in Sakon Nakhon the same guy always wears a baseball cap with a swastika, totally oblivious to it's meaning.

Nice guy, always greeting people saying hi. 

13 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Like the show but I've been disagreeing with Bill Maher a bit lately. I agree with his overall sentiments on political correctness but I feel he is getting too cliched and even closed minded on some topics such as covid, the attitudes of young liberals and even this topic. He can sometimes use extreme examples to make fun of the left, and sometimes the right, that are not representative of their overall views. It's like the punchline is king. 

He gives obvious examples where costumes are of course fine.  Call me old fashioned, but I do not think it is cute, fun or ironic for kids to dress as an appalling serial killer or as Hitler. Not saying ban it but having a line in the sand is sensible and not being a wowser. 

I agree with him about 75 percent of the time. I do think sometimes he's quite wrong about his criticisms of the left but its healthy and refreshing to hear criticisms of the left and right from the same person  As he often says it's unrealistic to expect 100 percent agreement with anyone. Also at the end of the day his main job is comedian, to make people laugh.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Docno said:

My wife's Halloween costume has apparently been deemed unacceptable too this year as it supposedly lifts motifs from Mexican (Day of the Dead) culture. I didn't have the heart to tell her she was guilty of the heinous crime of cultural appropriation. Lucky for her, we live in this part of the world...
image.jpeg.b4e25c6a210467ce9be79ef4c948a43b.jpeg

That is quite a celebration in Mexico. Absolutely amazing.  But, your wife has got them beat in the looks dept.... ????

Edited by Gknrd