I'm so tempted to crack open a beer right now...

bob smith

stick to your beer Bob ... forget the Lao Kao,  it's buffalo urine ...  just go the beer and eat some food everyday and drink lots of water before bed.  I drink alot but I try to not start before 12.00 everyday, and sometimes Gin after 4.00pm. usually drunk by 7-8pm ready for bed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robert1991 said:

As someone who works in gastroenterology at a hospital in the UK, thousands die from it. 

There’s also alcoholic liver disease, liver cancer, leukaemia, liver failure, sepsis (you get an infection in the liver at home and it goes septic)

Not to mention that if you are so dependent on alcohol then you have a higher risk of loss of rational thought and risk of developing mental health disorders such as clinical depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, general anxiety disorder etc 

I've seen a few heavy drinkers die here, and it was not pretty. One left a trail of blood down the condo stairs after getting impatient with the lift, and tried to navigate them while quite intoxicated. Another was told another alcoholic drink would kill him, ended up committing suicide in NZ after defecating blood for a couple of months.

Since 1989, alcohol has been on the WHO register as a Class 1 carcinogen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

If you really, really need/want to be off the booze, go to the fridge take out a can and then pour it down the sink.  Repeat x2.

Otherwise drink it...

I gave up smoking years ago when I had about 30 packets of Samson tobacco. I found it quite helpful having the constant reminder of not wanting to smoke 100's of fags.

Haven't had a drink for 3 and half years now. Life feels better to me when I stop letting my various addictions control my life. 

To answer OP's question, every time you think you want a beer/fag/spliff/whatever,

go out in the garden, go for a walk or just do something else for a few minutes. Cravings don't last as long as you think. 

24 minutes ago, SenorTashi said:

Most of my friends thought it was all fun and games too, til they turned yellow and died.

I don't think going into the garden is that dangerous.

But I'm not going to come to a barbecue at your house, just in case...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

In the Uk they recommend ,for a male, no more than 14 units a week, that is 6 pints of 4% alcohol.

I reckon if you drink less than your doctor, you're doing ok.
But make sure that your surgeon drinks less than you do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I reckon if you drink less than your doctor, you're doing ok.
But make sure that your surgeon drinks less than you do.

My mum was a nurse all her working life and the doctors and nurses used to have some pretty wild parties all through the 70's and 80's. I used to volunteer to be the barman (not that anyone asked) and aged 10,11,12, whatever drink someone asked for, I'd make one for myself, then when I'd had a few, I'd start hitting on the young nurses.  

7 hours ago, swissie said:

I am sure there is something to it. Drinking liberal amounts of beer versus drinking liberal amounts of hard liquor makes a difference.
In medevil times the water in big cities was a source of diseases of all kinds. So people drank beer. Even children. It saved uncountable lives.
60 years ago, on construction sites and in factories beer was the ultimate thirst quencher.

Lastly: "God gave us beer, showing us that he loves us".    Benjamin Franklin.

I think you will find life expectancy in the Middle Ages was considerably less than it is now, but it is a nice rationalization. Do you really want to go back to that time?

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Booze can mess up and play big tricks with your brain.

It can take several months for the desire to drink to subside.  Most do not have enough will power to go that long.

If you are talking about alcoholics, then yes, as they are addicted to and dependent on alcohol, most do not have enough will power to go several months without a drink.

That's fairly much the definition of an alcoholic.

However, if you are talking about most people in general, I would strongly disagree with you.

Most people do not drink except on social occasions and many do not drink at all.

The guys that sit at a beer bar night after night are not even a percentage of a percentage of most people, so are not typical of most people.

As mentioned above, most people are social drinkers, these people carry on with life without craving alcohol.

In fact, It's estimated that globally around 1.4 percent of the world's population have an alcohol use disorder.

That's hardly most people.

Edited by Bert got kinky

On 11/2/2022 at 11:33 PM, Lacessit said:

I think you will find life expectancy in the Middle Ages was considerably less than it is now, but it is a nice rationalization. Do you really want to go back to that time?

I believe that the beer was actually something like 0.5,% in those days. Hardly the same thing at all.