Is PTSD real or only weak people?

georgegeorgia

31 minutes ago, seajae said:

unfortunately the young generations these days are getting pretty pathetic, they cant handle anything, they want quiet spaces, they cant handle being told off, they cant handle people disagreeing with them or people having a different view, they really are big babies. While stress effects people differently ,the way modern generations are coddled doesnt help, ptsd has become the new way to be able to get out of anything that upsets them, what we considered temper tantrums etc years ago is now called ptsd and many have found that when they are older it is an easy way of getting out of work/doing anything as well as getting a payout. Returned servicemen & women used to be the ones suddering from it, now it has become a joke and is used as an excuse for everything

Bunch of nonsense. Many people in the past just committed suicide.

Plus talking tough on the internet is the sofest thing out. Requires no toughness.

I bet most tough guys on here are weaklings in real life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Some only been in the Cops for a few years .and say their trauma is bad yet you hear of police veterans with 30 & 40 years service retiring without such 

So then I see on TV a police officer who is retiring aged 67yo from the "Traffic Accident investigation" division and he had attended thousands of fatal car accidents in his 45 year service and he said he didn't want to retire only his wife made him.

Those young people are softy mummy's boys/ girls and should never have joined the cops.

Takes a real man to do that job.

I'd never do it myself as I recognise I'm not hard enough to deal with the scum they have to.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Dude in BKK lives on PTSD pension and he is barely 30-ish.
Afro-american fella wasn't smart enough to complete public college, dropped-off, went to kill/slaughter folks in Afghanistan for few tours, received quite a lot of money on return, wasted all somewhere at mexican border, was too dumb to find a job, but he found a life-hack instead: PTSD!

PS: Forrest Gump would look like genius comparing to that bloke.

11 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I think PTSD is real....but some people are more susceptible.  Sort of like alcoholism.  I knew guys who fought in Vietnam--in combat--and came back quite normal, little to no damage to their mental health.  Yet, some people can get (allegedly) PTSD from an auto accident.  But I'd imagine there are some fakers out there who simply have mental problems (or are just weak) but claim to have PTSD. 

I likewise knew soldiers that served in Vietnam ( I wish I'd asked them more about it ) and they didn't seem mentally disturbed in any way, but it was a different war to such as WW1 and 2. No mass combat battles- more sneaking about in the bush.

12 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I wonder how many of you if told by a work colleague or even a relative that they had PTSD caused by their job that you judge them secretly as weak people?

I know I would if my son or daughter was a emergency services worker and they told me that 

Wow.  Your poor kids to have a dad like you. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, chalawaan said:

What is "weak" to us isn't necessarily seen that way by them. 

And you're forgetting that almost all entertainment these days be it sexual or graphic violence, would never have passed the censor 50 years ago. Did that make "us" the weak ones?

All you are witnessing, is the never-ending advance of humanity. 

Plato in ancient Greece, is on record whining about the youth of his time.

Proving that not everything changes, but most things do. 

Plato was a strange guy. Quite smart in some areas. A real dummy in others. He called the olfactory sense beastly and the cultivation of it a lack of refinement. Likely had something to do with sewage at the time. And perhaps a lack of great wine from Burgundy. But, it was a stunningly stupid point of view. 

Edited by spidermike007

59 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Those young people are softy mummy's boys/ girls and should never have joined the cops.

Takes a real man to do that job.

I'd never do it myself as I recognise I'm not hard enough to deal with the scum they have to.

True. And another contributing factor is the severe decline in the art of parenting. It seems to be a lost art. Weak parents create weak children. Over coddling, allowing the child to sleep with the mom till they are 10. Really dumb stuff like that, breeds very weak adults. I know a gal who has a 25 year old son who lives at home with his girlfriend. No job. He started college, then dropped out. And guess who does the cooking and cleaning, in addition to working 60 hour weeks.

Why work, when you don't have to, and your mother is co-dependent and an enabler?

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

True. And another contributing factor is the severe decline in the art of parenting. It seems to be a lost art. Weak parents create weak children. Over coddling, allowing the child to sleep with the mom till they are 10. Really dumb stuff like that, breeds very weak adults. 

The opposite, which is abandoning the child to become feral, is causing a huge gang problem here. Fast becoming a country of teen criminals.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

13 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I wonder how many of you if told by a work colleague or even a relative that they had PTSD caused by their job that you judge them secretly as weak people?

I know I would if my son or daughter was a emergency services worker and they told me that 

Have you ever walked a day in their shoes, observed what they saw, witnessed what they did, or worked the Incidents they have? Yet you would call your kids week.  Stress and PTSD are real. Way to many haunting dreams of situations encountered or deaths observed take there toll.  Some turn to drugs, some a bottle, but many suffer the emotional issues it can cause. I think your post is a windup to get a rise from others. As a certified mental health professional and advocate for others your in need of being educated. However, I know no matter what's posted you will defer from accepting it as a reality as will others.

Edited by ThailandRyan

In my lifetime, my gym teacher was allowed to hit me in my face. My school principal could flog me like in  an S+M show. my uncle could touch me and get away with it.

Have the youth gone soft or have we all just finally become saner and kinder?

What large % of PTSD claimers are for real versus a few malingerers? Has the definition of trauma stretched too far or might it yet stretch even farther as the young evolve and remake the world?

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Have you ever walked a day in their shoes, observed what they saw, witnessed what they did, or worked the Incidents they have? Yet you would call your kids week.  Stress and PTSD are real. Way to many haunting dreams of situations encountered or deaths observed take there toll.  Some turn to drugs, some a bottle, but many suffer the emotional issues it can cause. I think your post is a windup to get a rise from others. As a certified mental health professional and advocate for others your in need of being educated. However, I know no matter what's posted you will defer from accepting it as a reality as will others.

Accepting that you saw those that suffered bad times, IMO most people in society never see a person die, never suffer more than a bit of bullying at work etc. Yet they still need alcohol, drugs, think they are hard done by.

As a nurse I saw a number of people die, but it wasn't at all stressful- just part of the life cycle. The patients with the least difficult problems were usually the most difficult to look after, and the ones that were the worst off the easiest to look after.

I had more agro from bullying managers than patients, though the relatives were sometimes nightmares.

I did "burn out", but never thought I had PTSD. However, it was a happy day that I retired and never regretted leaving it. Too many bullies to love it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

In my lifetime, my gym teacher was allowed to hit me in my face. My school principal could flog me like in  an S+M show. my uncle could touch me and get away with it.

Have the youth gone soft or have we all just finally become saner and kinder?

What large % of PTSD claimers are for real versus a few malingerers? Has the definition of trauma stretched too far or might it yet stretch even farther as the young evolve and remake the world?

It occurs to me that the number of PTSD cases may correlate to the ease of getting something for it. If one can't afford private counseling, and the chances of public counseling is nil ( unless one tries to kill oneself ) there isn't much point in claiming to have it, but just get on and perhaps some pills from the GP.

I worked at a military hospital with PTSD people, anyone who claims this is fake or not that bad, is clueless. If you would drop your keys on the floor by accident, you would have them static as if they were under attack. It could endanger your life.

Anyway, there is a lot of success lately with giving them LSD, MDMA and Shrooms for treatment. Mainly in the USA so far, but works very good. Hopefully they all get it.

A fully trained 220CM 120KG marine, can become as scared and silly as a child, with PTSD. However do not get stuck on army people, it can happen to anyone.

Light forms of PTSD are never being able to relax, constantly having to always check all people around you, being tense etc etc (or that happening with triggers).

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2