Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Completely untrue , Boris Johnson was a Brexit supporter long before he became P.M , he was a prominent supporter of the Brexit campaign in 2016 and became PM in 2019 

And he actually dropped his principals when it was clear there would be a leadership election and a Brexit view was more electable,. so that was around late 2016 / early 2017. 

Great man. A man of integrity.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/21/boris-johnson-joins-campaign-to-leave-eu

• Like 2

Just now, josephbloggs said:

I have, several times, and you come back with deflections and anecdotes about your supermarket. But since you asked:

1. Has poverty increased since Brexit?

2. Has food bank dependency increased 14% since pre-Covid (and pre-Ukraine war - the other get out) or not?

3. Have UK exports decreased since Brexit? How many exporters have gone out of business?

4. Has the removal of freedom of movement negatively impacted our children and younger generations?
5. Has there been one single positive of Brexit? Please name it and explain it. In real terms. Not just "in  the future it will be better" as this is nothing more than promising fabled "sunlit uplands". Give a concrete example of how we are better off. Not "removing EU tyranny", not "freeing ourselves of the shackles of faceless bureaucrats"; give a real, factual benefit of how anything has improved without using rhetoric.

6. Did the leave campaign lie and mislead the public? We can start with the bus in your earlier picture. 

Don't want to flood you with questions so we can start with those. I look forward to your promised responses.

1 , I don't know about the UK poverty rates , but any increase since 2020 (Brexit) would have been primarily due to Covid and Ukraine 

2 Food bank usage decreased last year , although the previous increases were caused by the pandemic and lockdown and last years decrease was caused by pandemic restrictions being lifted .

3 Again , I have no idea about UK exports

4 British people can no longer go and live in the E.U and also E.U citizens cannot now go and live in the U.K and this will benefit British kids with things like housing availability and the jobs market in the UK

5 More housing and jobs available in the U.K 

6 Both sides gave a biased opinion /prediction of how the UK would be effected by Brexit 

Anymore questions ?

26 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You have moved the goal posts , the question was whether the Guardian are biased or not and were not talking about whether the Guardian tells lies or not .

You link shows that the Guardian are biased towards the Left 

But the claims of bias are used as a reason for people not to trust the guardian even when it's reporting the facts.

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Maybe she is a racist, maybe not, I never made that claim. The claim I made is that racism also played a role in the Brexit vote.

Are you aware that British people are of the same racial demographics as the rest of the E.U ?

As British people and E.U citizens are of the same races , how could a vote to leave the E.U be considered to be racist?

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

2 Food bank usage decreased last year , although the previous increases were caused by the pandemic and lockdown and last years decrease was caused by pandemic restrictions being lifted .

So the pandemic began when exactly?

image.png.04661245d6a9f318bc23a7d9fe14fcb5.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/382695/uk-foodbank-users/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Like, you are asking me when the pandemic began ?

Have you just arrived on planet Earth ?

Covid began in year 2020 !!!!!!!!!

Maybe the Socratic method only works on Greeks.

To reconcile your assertion that the increase in food bank usage only began after the onset of the pandemic with the  evidence from the graph I presented,  would mean that the pandemic began in 2008 since food bank usage increased every year from that date until 2021-2022.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

The last thing I'm going to say about this, your question doesn't even deserve any effort. Many similar links, 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/25/the-uncomfortable-question-was-the-brexit-vote-based-on-racism/

A report from an left leaning  American newspaper from 2016 ? Why cant you answer the question yourself and write your own words ?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Maybe the Socratic method only works on Greeks.

To reconcile your assertion that the increase in food bank usage only began after the onset of the pandemic with the  evidence from the graph I presented,  would mean that the pandemic began in 2008 since food bank usage increased every year from that date until 2021-2022.

You seem to have misunderstood my post .

What I meant was that there was a decrease in food bank usage last year and that decrease last year was caused by a rise the pervious year which was due to Covid measures and lock-downs . 

I also didn't say that food bank usage had only increased since the pandemic , you just imagined that I said that (or misunderstood what I meant)

32 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

2 Food bank usage decreased last year , although the previous years increases were caused by the pandemic and lockdown and last years decrease was caused by pandemic restrictions being lifted .

Edited my own post to remove the letter "s" from "increases" to the new word of *increase* to avoid confusion and I suppose that I should put the word *year* in-between previous and increase to avoid confusion 

28 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

A report from an left leaning  American newspaper from 2016 ? Why cant you answer the question yourself and write your own words ?

Why not just try to refute the facts in the report rather than denigrating the source?

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Edited my own post to remove the letter "s" from "increases" to the new word of *increase* to avoid confusion and I suppose that I should put the word *year* in-between previous and increase to avoid confusion 

In 2021/22 the Trussell Trust supplied 2.2 million three-day emergency food parcels – an increase of 14% compared to pre-pandemic levels in 2019/20. There was a decrease of 15% between the pandemic year of 2020/21 and 2021/22, but the general trend shows a gradual steady increase.18 Oct 2022 - House of Commons Library.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kwilco said:

In 2021/22 the Trussell Trust supplied 2.2 million three-day emergency food parcels – an increase of 14% compared to pre-pandemic levels in 2019/20. There was a decrease of 15% between the pandemic year of 2020/21 and 2021/22, but the general trend shows a gradual steady increase.18 Oct 2022 - House of Commons Library.

Yes, 2.2 million food parcels  per year , works out at about 6000 food  parcels given out per day .

Trussell Trust gave out 6000 food parcels per day in 2021/2022 , which would have been received by 2000 different people if they had one food parcel everyday , so 2000 people received food parcels 

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given it's been hardly any time ( politically ) since brexit, and there has also been something called covid, plus inflation, why do the wannabeineuro posters keep claiming it's the end of the world that Britain isn't in the Eurozone anymore? It's like if they keep saying the same thing over and over it will make people believe they are right, and beg to be let back in. LOL.

One wonders how Britain managed before they joined the EEC if it's so bad. Come to that, one wonders how they managed to rule a large part of the world if they are so pathetic now.

In time all will be resolved for the benefit of the British people.

The Dutch miss us and want us to re-join , they still remember history

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nauseus said:

Ah the R word again - slyly inserted to try to win the debate by silencing the other side, no doubt. How sad, boring and wrong. 

Oh dear. In these sad times if one is losing an argument just introduce racism to make the other side shut up. Thankfully that tactic doesn't always work.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

RayC and others give eloquent responses and links, you just deflect, give worthless anecdotes and don't respond to any direct questions.

LOL. I can certainly think of descriptions for their responses, but be assured eloquent is not among them.

As for deflections, surely you are not claiming that "your" side never does such?

"worthless anecdotes" :coffee1:

Edited by thaibeachlovers