Planning to Retire in Thailand

Would it be possible to not retire and move this April to Thailand?  It seems that maybe continuing to work for a couple more years might put you in a better financial position.  

However, if you do want to retire I would look at a few other places.  Pattaya and Jomtien have good beaches but the water is another story.  You really don't want to go into the water at either beach.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, proton said:

Total package of a dirty sea, sex venues and pick up locations, hundreds of boring bars and tacky restaurants and over priced transport. No easier to stay in than anywhere else in the country, apart from the long lines in the sun at the immigration office, with all the other badly dressed foreigners.????

What corner of Utopia do you live in?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Would it be possible to not retire and move this April to Thailand?  It seems that maybe continuing to work for a couple more years might put you in a better financial position.  

However, if you do want to retire I would look at a few other places.  Pattaya and Jomtien have good beaches but the water is another story.  You really don't want to go into the water at either beach.  

Cause you do.

What's wrong with the water? 

It's refreshingly wet and cool. 

You don't actually have to drink it.

• Like 1

Pay no attention to the vast brigade of Pattaya bashers. Pattaya bashing has always been an industry on the forum to gain cred with the peanut gallery. Sour grapes, mostly.

As @Ulysses G. wrote on March 9, 2007:

How many Pattaya Sucks threads do we need anyway? ????

The Hilton, Holiday Inn, and Centara Grand Mirage, among many others, didn't get the memo. While bashers been enjoying their bashing, the size of Pattaya's economy has at least quadrupled. Most popular beach resort in SE Asia.

Great place to live, great value, better weather than many other places in Thailand, super convenient, beach good 'nuff, large and diverse area (though you'd never know it from reading here) with the lifestyle of your choice available. Nice nearby beach towns as well.

So, just move here and live in different areas until you find one that suits you best. Don't bother with Hua Hin. I can quote posts--from residents, mind you--that bash it as well, including the beach.

cities.jpg.7eab97459a91a398e9dfab753ca0840b.jpg

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Nothing like in Thailand. Most beaches have none. 

Isn't that depending on which side you are on and seasonal wind? Maybe Australia avoid the belt of garbage far out there by yourself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Isn't that depending on which side you are on and seasonal wind? Maybe Australia avoid the belt of garbage far out there by yourself.

I have heard there is a fair bit in some of the north west islands coming from South East Asia which is really sad. Most beaches on the east coast, and much of the west coast where there are cities, have little or none to my knowledge and I can confirm in the south east where I am there is normally none. 

Having said all that I like to watch the youtube videos of apartments in Pattaya and the life there looks like it could be fun. Nice to get away from a long winter though concerned about too much heat, excessive traffic, and pollution but hopefully not too bad.

I lived for years near a pretty beach in Melbourne but rarely swam there so if it's a bit dirty not a game changer and can take a break somewhere a bit nicer as you say.  

Between work contracts in Myanmar I would usually stay in Pattaya.  Last time I rented a rooftop studio with private roof garden for 5k baht a month, about 400m from Tukcom. I enjoyed exercising on the beach promenade and of course sipping fresh coconut juice provided by the friendly beachchair touts! ????

I don't know about expensive transport.  I thought 10 or 20 baht on the regular baht buses was OK...

I decided to move upmarket, and although I'm in the UK right now, my new home is a 9k baht house in several rai of coconut plantation, just a few minutes from the beach on Koh Phangan ????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

Between work contracts in Myanmar I would usually stay in Pattaya.  Last time I rented a rooftop studio with private roof garden for 5k baht a month, about 400m from Tukcom. I enjoyed exercising on the beach promenade and of course sipping fresh coconut juice provided by the friendly beachchair touts! ????

I don't know about expensive transport.  I thought 10 or 20 baht on the regular baht buses was OK...

I decided to move upmarket, and although I'm in the UK right now, my new home is a 9k baht house in several rai of coconut plantation, just a few minutes from the beach on Koh Phangan ????

Didn't you have an issue with the beach chair vendors at one time, or did I mix you up with another poster.  Once again my condolences as far as loosing your niece.

28 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Between work contracts in Myanmar I would usually stay in Pattaya.  Last time I rented a rooftop studio with private roof garden for 5k baht a month, about 400m from Tukcom.

My goodness. A penthous with private garden for 5000 Baht. Can you please send me a PM how I can find this ❤️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, proton said:

The beeches are some of the worst

Member should keep in mind what @protonthinks is good beech: Bang Saen.

On 1/16/2023 at 12:06 PM, proton said:

Bang Saen, that even has a real beach and you can go in the sea without fear of an infection. ????

Like this. I'll take Pattaya.

106238947_2955643424552410_6468657797969

Narongchai later wrote on his Facebook that the phenomenon occurs every year from July through September due to southwestern monsoon winds. 

Trash Dumped by Bangkokians Washes Up on Bang Sean Beach

3 hours ago, proton said:

Where are all the parks, museums and concert venues if it's that great?

???? As in Bang Saen. How often you hittin' those museums and concert venues?

But I've never heard any expat missing those. The countryside's just outside Pattaya and trip to the lake makes a nice outing. Pattaya does of course have music festivals. Parts of it exist in a time warp. But Bangkok isn't that far away. Good as it gets in Thailand for a concentration of museums and more interesting concerts. 

Enough of the obvious bias and bashing. Not helpful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I get the boredom in Australia in a certain way but suggesting Australia is more corrupt than Thailand is bizarre. Don't see corruption, never got a speeding ticket, and if I am concerned about a booze bus it may mean I shouldn't be driving. As far as keeping up with inflation not sure what you are on that doesn't go up with inflation. As an employee we have got 5 per cent in two years which sucks. 

Agree with everything I've been driving in Australia for nearly 40 years never had a ticket and I am not worried about the booze bus either I don't drink and drive if I drink some wine, I drink at home

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Didn't you have an issue with the beach chair vendors at one time, or did I mix you up with another poster.  Once again my condolences as far as loosing your niece.

Lol, I threw in that comment about the beach vendors for a bit of fun!  Thanks again for your kind comments about my niece, I have her photo (and photos of my own kids) with me here in Ol' Blighty.

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I was retired in Oz with sufficient income to live comfortably, particularly as I owned my house. I was, however, bored <deleted>less with the sameness of lifestyle, and sick of the corruption of politics with big business. I also hated the petty officialdom intrusion into every aspect of my life requiring permissions, permits, fees, et al for virtually anything at all. Prices were high and went higher every year.. Wages and pensions mainly static.

I lived in a police state where you get fined hundreds of dollars for exceeding speed limits by a couple of kmph and lived in fear of a booze bus lurking around every corner if you had a beer or two.

I also travelled to Bali and Thailand several times a year and loved the way locals lived for themselves with little government interference. The corruption and officialdom in Thailand are small scale compared to Australia and can be largely ignored or paid for with pennies. I now own a number of properties (sort of) and live without any worries financially. Here you have a choice of lifestyle according to your wants, and every day can be an adventure.

I wouldn't again live in Australia where the only thing you have to look forward to is a slow demise in a nursing home.

(I have to specify I wouldn't want to live here on a Thai salary.)

You rather have a slow demise in a non-existing Thai nursing home I guess 

13 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Agree with everything I've been driving in Australia for nearly 40 years never had a ticket and I am not worried about the booze bus either I don't drink and drive if I drink some wine, I drink at home

Yeah, sure...

https://www.smh.com.au/national/speed-camera-fines-hit-200m-as-experts-push-for-30km-h-limit-in-city-20220512-p5akm0.html

200 mil only from speed cameras, only in NSW. 30 km speed limit in Sydney? That would be 3 hours end to end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Yeah, sure...

https://www.smh.com.au/national/speed-camera-fines-hit-200m-as-experts-push-for-30km-h-limit-in-city-20220512-p5akm0.html

200 mil only from speed cameras, only in NSW. 30 km speed limit in Sydney? That would be 3 hours end to end.

Well if you speed or drink and drive you deserve it 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Pattaya is definately the place to be for cheap sex and obviously to contract some weird STD !! Even if you don't, when there, you will !! ????

Clamydia in pools, be careful and sure if you swollow poolwater some gonorrhea as well. 

Dr told me I got clamydia in my eye most likely from the poolwater ????

Can swimming pool conjunctivitis be caused by chlamydia?

Adult inclusion conjunctivitis is caused by Chlamydia trachomatis and is usually sexually acquired; in rare cases it can be acquired by swimming in a contaminated swimming pool. The tarsal conjunctiva are usually more hyperemic than the bulbar conjunctiva; there is a marked tarsal follicular response

https://www.msdmanuals.com/professional/eye-disorders/conjunctival-and-scleral-disorders/adult-inclusion-conjunctivitis#:~:text=Adult inclusion conjunctivitis is caused by Chlamydia trachomatis and is,a marked tarsal follicular response.

Edited by Hummin
  • Haha 1

OP  I think you should be ok financially as long as you stick to your plan…. Look at your social security 

benefits taking early vs at full retirement age and what does it look like financially. 

Reading all the posts seems you may still be feeling the sting of divorce… don’t focus on it life goes on. Best of luck whatever you decide… I’ve been here going in 8 years living in the countryside of Isaan prior 10 years in China so I got a dose of what can and will go wrong as long as your prepared 

You’ll be ok… 

And don’t plan your retirement on smoking weed whenever, wherever 

it’s a hot topic and recreational use is teetering on the legal/illegal pole..

Edited by DJ54
Added weed