How long did it take you to get a good social life? And how did you do it?

sidjameson

On 3/17/2023 at 5:58 AM, BananaStrong said:

I will NEVER learn Thai!!!!  Never talk to those horrible expats!!!!!   Great attitude in Thailand, you must be a great friend!!!!!!

Triggers me to even see farangs posting about Thailand, I hope I never meet anyone here!!!!!  I'll never look at another farang again and If I have to speak one word of Thai I'll ........................................well.............................I"ll move to China and ever, every speak Chinese!!!!!!!!!!  

No disrespect to the Natives and expats ,I like to pick my friends very carefully, as for the expats Too many are just p!ssheads /whingers and don't like Thailand .

I've been here about 7 months, it's been hard to make friends. The majority are either too busy with their gf/wife, or they're loners, or they're still working. I'm lucky I've found the friends I've got, about 3-4 that I talk with on a regular basis. It's not quite enough though, I'm learning to get out there more, be friendlier, more approachable. If you're lonely I'd suggest to start a club that you're interested in; book club, computer club, chess club, tennis, ping pong, scuba club, etc. I would probably join all of those lol. GL!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2023 at 9:20 PM, BananaStrong said:

having friends might mean people know!!!  never met a farang with more than 1 friend.   never.  

My mate had his 50th birthday party at his place last weekend up here in Udon. He's been in Thailand for maybe half of that. We stopped counting how many people showed up at around 73.

Surpringly enough, he's an Aussie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would agree Thailand is a great place for loners.

I'm an only child, rare thing for our generation, but you learn to be very self sufficient.

I'm pretty social, i can speak Thai, Lao and Mandarin fluently, so I have no problems communication wise.

But I've never 'needed' friends, I can take or leave people.

My wife, total opposite she needs to feel that bond, maybe a bit of being female or just personality

15 hours ago, digger70 said:

They have the Hash next door at the community centre here , what a shambles they would be all locked up in a western country, disgraceful  ,Thais and expats.

I've run with Hashes in eight western countries and apart from my erroneously setting a run (hare) through Texas State Department of Corrections land, nobody ever got upset, arrested or shot. Baghdad H3 prior to the first Gulf War was an absolute hoot. Meanwhile, here in Thailand, we infamously had a run on the outskirts of Chonburi that coincided with a local jail break. That particular monthly Hash was themed and the theme that month was "Guns N' Noses" (Guns N' Roses being popular at that time). So there we are, maybe 50 of us, all toting fake pistols and plastic noses, shouting 'On-on!' while running past armed police roadblocks and checkpoints. I reckon we pushed the envelope on that one.

Buy hey, you make your own fun, eh?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

To meet other farangs is very easy. Best place to meet other farangs is the markets. It's where a Thai woman will first take her new farang trophy to show him off and for her status in the community to go up. Friday market for me is the place to meet new farangs.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

To meet other farangs is very easy. Best place to meet other farangs is the markets. It's where a Thai woman will first take her new farang trophy to show him off and for her status in the community to go up. Friday market for me is the place to meet new farangs.

I know the sort of farang you're talking about with their 'deer in the headlights' stare, carrying all the shopping bags.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I'd never thought about before, but you're right.

Fresh meat paraded for all to see. 

It's quite sweet really lol

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I was this farang.   I saw other bad, dirty farangs!!!  I told my wife, "NEVER talk to them, I like this attention and they are super losers!!!"    You think you will meet a farang at a market and knock his ego down a notch?  no way!!!

Best place is a bar.  I am in one now, there are 20 single farangs now all complaining about the heat.   It's great!!!  OMG, one just asked for a discount on ice.  He wants to pay 3 baht instead of 5.  Oh, no, here comes security!!!

gotta go!!!  

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2023 at 7:04 PM, NanLaew said:

My mate had his 50th birthday party at his place last weekend up here in Udon. He's been in Thailand for maybe half of that. We stopped counting how many people showed up at around 73.

Surpringly enough, he's an Aussie.

I suspect most were there for the food and the booze up.

I've arranged outdoor gatherings at which a load of people showed up, but hardly any were actual "friends" and most were acquaintances.

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I know the sort of farang you're talking about with their 'deer in the headlights' stare, carrying all the shopping bags.

I know what you are talking about, and I made a point of never going shopping with a female.

I also gave up taking women out for dinner when one wanted a more up market ( expensive ) place than the one I chose, but still expected me to pay for both of us. To add insult to injury she didn't invite me in for coffee after.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I know what you are talking about, and I made a point of never going shopping with a female.

I also gave up taking women out for dinner when one wanted a more up market ( expensive ) place than the one I chose, but still expected me to pay for both of us. To add insult to injury she didn't invite me in for coffee after.

You made a basic mistake .......

Fun first, dinner (and/or cash) after.

• Love It 1

On 3/19/2023 at 10:24 AM, NanLaew said:

I've run with Hashes in eight western countries and apart from my erroneously setting a run (hare) through Texas State Department of Corrections land, nobody ever got upset, arrested or shot. Baghdad H3 prior to the first Gulf War was an absolute hoot. Meanwhile, here in Thailand, we infamously had a run on the outskirts of Chonburi that coincided with a local jail break. That particular monthly Hash was themed and the theme that month was "Guns N' Noses" (Guns N' Roses being popular at that time). So there we are, maybe 50 of us, all toting fake pistols and plastic noses, shouting 'On-on!' while running past armed police roadblocks and checkpoints. I reckon we pushed the envelope on that one.

Buy hey, you make your own fun, eh?

You must've been lucky that you didn't get locked up.  ????

On 3/17/2023 at 6:08 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You seem overly concerned about farangs that don't conform to your druthers.

It's their concern if they don't want to associate with farangs, and you don't get to tell anyone what to do.

Do whatever you want to do and let others do likewise- you'll feel better for it.

actually, the poster is mocking the sad attitude of yourself and similar.

56 minutes ago, digger70 said:

You must've been lucky that you didn't get locked up.  ????

Vancouver Hash

Policeman outside the car: "Oh. It's you guys. We've had complaints about the singing"

Hasher: "Yeah, it's not very good is it?"

Policeman inside the car: Blows his coffee out of his nose.

Policeman outside car: "I want you all gone in 10 mins"

Hasher "How about 30 mins?"

Policeman outside the car " OK 20"

????

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Haha 2