So which UK banks allow non resident British citizens to have accounts in the UK, i'm thinking those of us who are permanently in Thailand.

13 hours ago, nglodnig said:

A friend of mine kept his UK postal re-direct open for YEARS (even though it is only supposed to be for twelve months).

You can actually keep it going for up to 4 years - as I have done and now on my second stint as it were.........

That's setting it up for 12 months and then renewing every year.

Edited by topt
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 5:28 AM, NanLaew said:

To qualify for a new Isle of Man or Channel Island bank account, you need to be resident there. I recall their residency criteria is the standard 180 days in a calendar year.

You don’t need to be resident in the IoM to open an account with Santander International https://www.santanderinternational.co.uk/international/

On 4/27/2023 at 11:52 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

I have a UK address (my son's) that HSBC have but i live permanently here in Thailand, their terms and conditions for having the account is that i must be a UK resident. I was wondering if there was a UK bank who permitted you to have an account with them despite not being resident in the UK.

Are you a UK resident? This is different to resident for tax you understand.

On 4/28/2023 at 11:28 AM, NanLaew said:

and send statements to Thailand. 

Do you actually mean they send papers, which are made from trees, via road and aircraft, which take loads of fossil fuel to pollute the air, to you Do Halifax not have a peperless option, Nationwide do.

On 4/27/2023 at 2:41 PM, CFCol said:

Royal Bank of Scotland. No problems.

I had an account with them prior to moving out here in 2005, as I knew it would not be possible to maintain a UK address, I went to my branch to get them to use my Thai address for correspondence.

The answer even then was a categoric NO.

Only suggestion that they had was to open an offshore account.

16 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Are you a UK resident? This is different to resident for tax you understand.

As far as HSBC is concerned i am not a UK resident as i don't spend any time living in the UK. That is my understanding.

I've said this so many times down the years on Thaivisa/Asean (by the way why am I newbie after coming up to 18 years lol) but never completely burn your bridges within your home country

If you have absolutely no family at all (maybe 1% here) there are in the UK (as in this case) proper mailing addresses with forwarding options that are perfectable acceptable (they wouldnt even know) for in this case all banks

People who live in motorhomes (I'm on many forums on that subject) canal boats etc etc all use them

• Haha 1

If you just need your UK bank to accept monthly inflows from your pension providers -then I think it is possible for them to pay into your Wise account.

Given that this is possible - you will not need  a UK bank account.

I am aware that digit nomads receive their payment using this method.

59 minutes ago, Delight said:

If you just need your UK bank to accept monthly inflows from your pension providers -then I think it is possible for them to pay into your Wise account.

Given that this is possible - you will not need  a UK bank account.

I am aware that digit nomads receive their payment using this method.

DWP paid into my Wise account today.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I did when I first left the UK. I was so determined never to go back there. 

Clearly my post went straight over your head.........

On 4/27/2023 at 12:26 PM, Kwasaki said:

My On-line first direct bank that is associated with the HSBC accepts my Thai address but they have stopped new members applying now. 

Basically just keep your sons address your still a UK citizen.

Being a UK citizen isn't the same as being UK resident unfortunately. 

I would imagine there are a lot of people with bank accounts who aren't UK resident. That's the case with me but I hope to change that. If not I think Lloyds have an international account. I'll need to look into that.

Edited by kimamey
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, kimamey said:

Being a UK citizen isn't the same as being UK resident unfortunately. 

I would imagine there are a lot of people with bank accounts who aren't UK resident. That's the case with me but I hope to change that. If not I think Lloyds have an international account. I'll need to look into that.

Yeah whatever my UK bank is no problem, when they become a problem I do something else no big deal.

14 hours ago, topt said:

I hope that's not famous last words........for your sake.

The scare reteric here over this is silly, people can use Wise these days and a number of other ways to get there money from UK.

Myself would just have my private pensions paid into one of my Son's UK  accounts.

I say again no big deal

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

The scare reteric here over this is silly, people can use Wise these days and a number of other ways to get there money from UK.

Myself would just have my private pensions paid into one of my Son's UK  accounts.

I say again no big deal

Yep there are always workarounds for want of a better expression

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/27/2023 at 5:52 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

I have a UK address (my son's) that HSBC have but i live permanently here in Thailand, their terms and conditions for having the account is that i must be a UK resident.

You are wrong to use the word "must".

I had a prolonged discussion with an HSBC manager on this issue. The situation is that it is not HSBC policy to service accounts for people that are not UK residents but the policy is at the discretion of the manager concerned.

It would be very difficult for a non resident to open a new account but existing account holders should be able to negotiate keeping their account.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

I had a prolonged discussion with an HSBC manager on this issue. The situation is that it is not HSBC policy to service accounts for people that are not UK residents but the policy is at the discretion of the manager concerned.

It would be very difficult for a non resident to open a new account but existing account holders should be able to negotiate keeping their account.

But what happens if they are not happy for me as an existing account holder of over 40 years to keep my account whilst living in Thailand, they will close it and then i'm ........

I use my UK HSBC advance account to not only receive my pensions but to also pay certain monthly commitments i have. 

11 hours ago, sandyf said:

Better still stop red flagging yourself....................

On 4/27/2023 at 1:26 PM, driver52 said:

just get an 'internet bank' ie Revolut....

when I was in France as a UK passport holder I had a German bank account N26

Revolut is good, however they are asking me to verify my source of funds which is a pain. 

11 hours ago, sandyf said:

That is nonsense.

I speak as a former HSBC senior manager and if HSBC adopts a policy not to open non-resident accounts then that manager will not have the discretion to do others. HSBC are consistent and would not permit the possibility of different decisions being made in different locations...... so a manager in Leeds will let you open an account, but a manager in Birmingham says no !!!!!!! The same would apply to any decision to close existing non-resident account - forget negotiation.