Russian teacher falls to death from Central Phuket car park

snoop1130

1682574670692-1024x768-1.jpg

Photo via Matichon

A Russian teacher jumped from the roof of a car park at Central Phuket this morning in southern Thailand. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

At 8.39am, officers at Wichit Police Station were informed that a foreigner had fallen from the car park at Central Phuket shopping mall in the Mueang district. Police rushed to the scene with doctors from Vachira Phuket Hospital and rescue workers from Phuket Charity Foundation.

Police found the body of 32 year old Roman Shubenin lying in a pool of blood on the cement floor, reports 77Koaded. He was wearing a floral T-shirt, black shorts, and a brown belt. His right shoulder was broken and his skull was bleeding.

Police examined CCTV to find that Shubenin walked up to the shopping mall from a village about 400 metres away, walked up to the roof of the car park where he sat down on the ledge and leaned backward.

Security guards heard a loud sound and ran over to find Shubenin on the floor breathing and bleeding heavily. The security guards called for first aid and an ambulance however the teacher succumbed to his injuries at the scene.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/russian-teacher-falls-to-death-from-central-phuket-car-park

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I imagine that would depend on their financial status. If they had no income, could you see a Russian working for 300 baht a day ? 

Like I said, if funds from Russia had dried up and visas became an issue would they be able to claim asylum?

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Like I said, if funds from Russia had dried up and visas became an issue would they be able to claim asylum?

And how would claiming asylum in thailand assist him financially?

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Some Russians are financially able to hide-out here in LOS for a long time, some however have an issue when visas run out and they have to decide to stay illegally or return to Russia and the front line.

If this was his reason for falling then I would have gone down the illegal route for as long as possible first.

Then decide about other issues after.

I wonder if any Russians have tried to claim asylum, as going back to Russia would mean fighting?

I would stay illegal, but that is easily said if you have money. If you are out of money and no place to stay it gets bad

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Or they just don't give a flying f about stuff happening so far away.

Thailand does have it's hands full with more local refugee problems specifically Myanmar.

And Russia is not a neighboring country

54 minutes ago, h90 said:

I would stay illegal, but that is easily said if you have money. If you are out of money and no place to stay it gets bad

As the post indicated, no money, no visa, no option to go home...

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Russian language teacher? Can't be much of a demand for that. Or, if there is, I can't imagine much of a salary. May have been broke and busted with no way out.

Thailand is, or at least was a few weeks ago, full with Russian tourists. And they often can't speak English. If I would work in tourism I would want to learn some Russian words....But I guess not easy to market that to hotels.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Thailand is not offering asylum to Russians (or even Ukrainians) fleeing the war. 

As it happens Thailand is offering month by month extension to Ukrainians while the war is in progress. Thailand is NOT offering that to Russians.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

As it happens Thailand is offering month by month extension to Ukrainians while the war is in progress. Thailand is NOT offering that to Russians.

Good to hear for the Ukrainians but that's short of formal asylum.