Thai Expert Explains High Electricity Bills in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

By Adam Judd

National — Mr. Praiphon Koomsub, former Dean of the Faculty of Economics at Thammasat University, explained an increase in the Thai power bills recently.

He said the increase actually started at the end of 2022, but people did not acknowledge it until March to April when the weather became significantly hotter, leading to an increase in electricity consumption and thereby a surge in power bills.

Moreover, at the beginning of this year, the government adjusted the fuel tariff rate, which further increased the price.

The war between Russia and Ukraine also plays a part, as it causes fuel prices, especially crude oil and natural gas, to skyrocket. Thailand relies on natural gas for 60% of its electricity production, even though it can produce some gas from the Gulf of Thailand. However, the country still needs to import a significant amount of liquefied natural gas (LNG), which has increased by 20% currently due to the war.

There is also an issue with the cost of paying for excess reserve electricity.

Praiphon also said even though excess reserve power is not sold into the system, electricity consumers still have to bear the burden of paying for it to private power companies. This is another factor that contributes to the high cost of electricity, although not as much as the first causes mentioned, he said.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/04/30/thai-expert-explains-cause-of-high-electricity-bills/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-05-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Meanwhile in Thailand.....

The reservoir is now home to the world’s largest hybrid solar-hydropower project. Installed on the surface of the water are 144 000 separate solar panels, the equivalent of 100 football fields. The 45 MW of peak power the project can produce complements the existing dam operations, which can generate an additional 36 MW, and provide electricity across three provinces in eastern Thailand.

Great , but what effect does all that plastic and metal have on the fish over time ?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phil1964 said:

Of course in a sunny country it makes no sense to have a massive state investment in solar power and battery storage?

I mean why use an abundant, free natural resource, ie: sunshine to power all the A/C units in the country. And yeah I know, when its dark there's no power generation, so therefore you either generate electricity from natural gas as per the present method, or you instal battery storage solutions.

Of course though these Thai generals don't want imports flooding their domestic market, so they lump on massive import duties which simply makes the hardware required to generate electricity way expensive!

Inward looking military inbreds!

You make a good point about solar power, but at the same time I'm not aware of any tropical country that has invested massively in it. Very odd. I am ready to be educated to the contrary, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Of course they have an explanation that doesn't hold...Ukraine/ Russian war, did rise the the fuel prices indeed, but in the western news these prices are almost back to normal again.

The government has announced lower prices from May until, I think, September before another review.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:
4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The government has announced lower prices from May until, I think, September before another review.

Election promotions....

Does that matter, if prices fall? Every government in the world makes promises before elections. May starts today so the reduction is in place from now.

Well I’d much rather be paying my energy bills here than on my house back in the U.K. (which I rent out) . The council tax alone is 12000 baht per month and the utility bills will be that again (plus 50%) ! ???? My tenants pay that… 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You make a good point about solar power, but at the same time I'm not aware of any tropical country that has invested massively in it. Very odd. I am ready to be educated to the contrary, though.

You are correct, only India came out in the top 5. Behind China, USA, Japan and Germany. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Phil1964 said:

Of course in a sunny country it makes no sense to have a massive state investment in solar power and battery storage?

I mean why use an abundant, free natural resource, ie: sunshine to power all the A/C units in the country. And yeah I know, when its dark there's no power generation, so therefore you either generate electricity from natural gas as per the present method, or you instal battery storage solutions.

Of course though these Thai generals don't want imports flooding their domestic market, so they lump on massive import duties which simply makes the hardware required to generate electricity way expensive!

Inward looking military inbreds!

Do you look at the sky during wet season?

2 hours ago, sidneybear said:

It's the same everywhere. As it says in the article, the Ukraine war has caused large increases in fuel prices, which are set internationally. Perhaps Thailand should build nuclear power stations? ????

Just think of the chaos!!!???

• Haha 1