Does Voltaren/diclofenac require prescription in Thailand?

cdemundo

Voltaren/diclofenac used to require a prescription in the US, is a prescription required in Thailand?

Also, I read in another thread that there is an oral diclofenac available, I have only used the topical gel.

Any side-effects noted from using the diclofenac tablets?

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

There's a long list of side effects but isn't there always.

Yes, I was wondering about the personal experiences of those who used the tablets among ASEANNOW members.

You are right, the list of side-effects that comes with medications is so all-inclusive that it isn't very useful.

Short term use for both pills and gel.

But that's true of most Nsaid.

Long-term use..can cause liver ,kidney and stomach issues

It's absolutely the best for kidney stone pain in the injectable form.

But often not prescribed for seniors because of kidney and liver side effects .Older folks often have compromised liver and kidney function as a result of aging.Way better than opiates.

• Thanks 1

Already stated, long term continued use of diclofenac has some issues, and not recommended.

I've taken it (tabs) for decades, but never more than a few months at a time, if that.  Only if I aggravated my back.  Never an issue, and more like a week or two, as normal use, after warning got some press.   Prior, guessing a few months at a time, with very long breaks, years, in between use.

Most things you can get without a script, and generic diclofenac is extremely inexpensive here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Of course, my doctor was fuming as Diamond is at least 5-10x cheaper than hospital pharmacy (even when excluding the outpatient fees).

My medications for BP and prostate are considerably cheaper at the Government hospital than my local pharmacy. eg Amlodepine 10mg, 240 at pharmacy but only 160 at hospital , Doxadozin 280 as opposed to 180 at hospital.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Voltaren/diclofenac used to require a prescription in the US, is a prescription required in Thailand?

Also, I read in another thread that there is an oral diclofenac available, I have only used the topical gel.

Any side-effects noted from using the diclofenac tablets?

No prescription required.

I didn't find any of the topical gels (Voltaren, Reparil, various local brands) made any difference to pain/swelling from an MCL knee injury. Voltaren tablets however ... 1 tablet completely removed all pain and discomfort for about 24 hours. But as noted in other posts not recommended for long-term use.

I still get some discomfort. Usually I just do stretching exercises and use cold or hot compress, but if it's really sore then maybe a tablet. That said, an ibuprofen still works quite well, if not quite as well as a voltaren tablet.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I didn't find any of the topical gels (Voltaren, Reparil, various local brands) made any difference to pain/swelling from an MCL knee injury. Voltaren tablets however ... 1 tablet completely removed all pain and discomfort for about 24 hours. But as noted in other posts not recommended for long-term use.

I still get some discomfort. Usually I just do stretching exercises and use cold or hot compress, but if it's really sore then maybe a tablet. That said, an ibuprofen still works quite well, if not quite as well as a voltaren tablet.

@cdemundo

the Thai generic is, was only ฿5-10 per tablet, in 10 tab bubble pack.   Don't think I've ever paid more than ฿80 for a 10 tab strip.  Been a while since purchased.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Voltaren tablets however ... 1 tablet completely removed all pain and discomfort for about 24 hours. But as noted in other posts not recommended for long-term use.

late last year had an extreme attack of gout. brother told me to get Voltaren (took for one week) which had no effect whatsoever. went to a gout clinic where i was told that it would have no effect on my symptoms as Voltaren is very basic

Had an injection which had a minimal effect before getting even worse upon which i then went to the hospital  as the pain had become truly unbearable and could hardly walk.

was given colchicine, Allopurinol and diclofenac in a liquid spray bottle(can be brought as a gel off the shelf) in any pharmacy. The spray is expensive by comparison

If you google diclofenac it can be dodgy if taken in tablet form over too long a period (which is why the doctor would not give me the tablets) but when used as a gel or liquid on the affected area the dangers are minimised a hundred fold. In other words there is little to no danger when used in this manner.

I buy the Voltaren SR100 (Slow Release 100mg) tablets over the counter without a prescription at my local Thai pharmacy. I only take a tablet when my foot swells up painfully on occasion. These tablets work quite well. The pharmacist always warns me about taking them for extended periods so I try to avoid taking them and use Paracetamol instead if the pain is low level. The SR100 tablets usually cost around 29 baht each or about 870 baht for 3 strips of 10 tablets each.

Back in Australia I can only get the 12.5mg and 25mg tablets over the counter and the 50mg ones only with a prescription. The 100mg ones are not even available in Australia as far as I can tell.

• Thanks 1

I was recommended by heart doctor not to use Voltaren or Celebrex on a regular basis as it can be harmful, as others have said. He recommended Naproxen, of which numerous local brands are easily available - Soproxen as in one photo above, or Synogin which I use daily. It works for me - keeping arthritis and muscle pain at bay - without any apparent stomach disorder.

I pay 37 baht for 10 tabs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

I didn't find any of the topical gels (Voltaren, Reparil, various local brands) made any difference to pain/

Me either. Voltaren gel works same as tiger balm. It doesn't.

I use a Diclofenac gel ( Difeline ) On my forehead for pre-cancerous keratosis. Works fantastically. My keratosis completely gone. I now only use it 2 or three times a week just to prevent any recurrence. Available over the counter.

Other brands also available all with just 1% Diclofenac.

Difelene Gel บรรเทาอาการปวดกล้ามเนื้อ และข้อ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I once bought Voltaren but threw it out after a couple uses. I don't care for the side effects to my digestive system. Now I use Dr.Jo's LivRelief. Much more effective and no side effects that I am aware of. I use it for arthritis. But I have even a better one for arthritis. Tart Cherry extract in either tablet form or liquid. I prefer tablets. I can't give a medical explanation but Tart Cherry tells the body to produce whatever is required to fight inflammation. Doctors couldn't cure searing pain that I have had for 25 years that runs down the outside of my thigh from from my buttocks, and hip joint to. So I cured it myself! I use both but figure the tart cherry is the trick for the long term cure. My pain is down to a couple percent now, will be all gone soon. I will stay on Tart Cherry in perpetuity.

If anybody wants to PM me, it's okay. And I believe you'll find both on Amazon. I get LivRelief at my local drugstore, Tart Cherry at a natural products store (in Canada).

thumbnail_image1 - 2023-05-18T232737.259.jpg

thumbnail_image0 - 2023-05-18T232728.037.jpg

• Thanks 1

I was given dicolfenac by a pharmacist a few years back for arthritic hip pain. 
Cheap and effective, no noticed side effects, but as others have stated only took when needed. I even stop for a moment of self appraisal before      “popping” a paracetamol because I already have so many prescribed medicines these days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

Kidney damage from taking Diclofenac, not in me personally but my mother.

It mostly reversed after she discontinued it so she now 'only' has stage 3 kidney failure.

The rub-in gel WILL NOT affect the kidneys or any internal organs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

The rub-in gel WILL NOT affect the kidneys or any internal organs.

Yes, she was on the tablets for many months before the kidney issues showed up on a routine blood test.

So it is something you can monitor over time with regular basic blood tests - a lot of people will have no problems at all so it's not something I would avoid - but I would be cautious and monitor kidney / liver function more often should I ever need it myself.

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yes, she was on the tablets for many months before the kidney issues showed up on a routine blood test.

So it is something you can monitor over time with regular basic blood tests - a lot of people will have no problems at all so it's not something I would avoid - but I would be cautious and monitor kidney / liver function more often should I ever need it myself.

Regular basic blood tests? How often?

So why would you not use the gel which cannot affect you organs?

Edited by KannikaP

6 hours ago, neeray said:

I once bought Voltaren but threw it out after a couple uses. I don't care for the side effects to my digestive system. Now I use Dr.Jo's LivRelief. Much more effective and no side effects that I am aware of. I use it for arthritis. But I have even a better one for arthritis. Tart Cherry extract in either tablet form or liquid. I prefer tablets. I can't give a medical explanation but Tart Cherry tells the body to produce whatever is required to fight inflammation. Doctors couldn't cure searing pain that I have had for 25 years that runs down the outside of my thigh from from my buttocks, and hip joint to. So I cured it myself! I use both but figure the tart cherry is the trick for the long term cure. My pain is down to a couple percent now, will be all gone soon. I will stay on Tart Cherry in perpetuity.

If anybody wants to PM me, it's okay. And I believe you'll find both on Amazon. I get LivRelief at my local drugstore, Tart Cherry at a natural products store (in Canada).

thumbnail_image1 - 2023-05-18T232737.259.jpg

thumbnail_image0 - 2023-05-18T232728.037.jpg

I bought some Tart Cherry capsules when I thought I had gout, but not really sure if it was or not, as have had quite a few inflammatory episodes after decades of playing football and tennis. HOWEVER whatever is in the Tart Cherry capsules, they worked.

10 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

I bought the Nexcare hot or cold compress in different sizes. Works wonders if you use as you need, ie 

3 or 4 times a day. Bought in Boots or Watsonville. Light exercise and no alcohol too.

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Regular basic blood tests? How often?

So why would you not use the gel which cannot affect you organs?

In the UK they were doing blood tests every 3 months I believe.

As for gel vs tablets, I guess the tablets are more effective than topical gels but that's what was prescribed by the Doctor and I'm sure there was a good reason to do so.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

In the UK they were doing blood tests every 3 months I believe.

As for gel vs tablets, I guess the tablets are more effective than topical gels but that's what was prescribed by the Doctor and I'm sure there was a good reason to do so.

I took Celebrex, Naproxen and Diclofenac and nothing changed for months. I had pain in all fingers and toes. Then I tried this gel and the problems disappeared pretty quickly and never came back again. Of course could have been a special situation. But talk to your doctor if you can use it in addition to your pills. I stopped the pills when I took the gel.