Don Mueang Airport ranks among the most dangerous airports in the world

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The renowned travel website, The Boutique Adventurer, has ranked Don Mueang Airport as one of the 29 most dangerous airports in the world in 2023.

..................couple this with the deadly roads and hey, Thailand, you have serious safety issues! I guess they'll just remain in denial!..............................What's for lunch?

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Nothing about woman-eating escalators then .

How can a woman be eating escalators? It's virtually Impossible  ????

Sorry I could not resist,  If not now , when will I ever get to use that line? I did see the hyphen:smile:

Edited by sirineou
emoji ate my "Imposible" had to put it back

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The renowned travel website, The Boutique Adventurer, has ranked Don Mueang Airport as one of the 29 most dangerous airports in the world in 2023. In a recent article published at the end of June 2023, the website revealed the list of the most perilous airports, with Don Mueang Airport securing the 26th position.

Put a spin on that TAT

3 hours ago, Emdog said:

Seems most of those crashes were due to factors the airport had no control over: terrorist attacks, equipment failures while in flight (maybe ground crew problem, there... I don't know). Crashes coming in for landing: pilot error or poor air traffic controllers? 1980 weather related crash: fault of the airport?

Without more info on results of investigation as to cause and blame (if any), the stats seem fairly meaningless

Depends on your perspective, whilst mostly they have nothing to do with DMK itself, if you consider the question ' travelling to which airports are you most likely to be involved in an incident' then they become relevant

I never regarded Don Muang as dangerous in the days before Swampy opened. I especially liked the fact that you could get a cold beer right by the departure gate, I miss that in Swampy. Since nothing much has changed on the air disaster front that I'm aware of, maybe it's classed as dangerous because of roaming gangs of feral ladyboys inside the terminal building, or Chinese triads kidnapping young women passengers and shipping them back to wealthy bachelors in Shanghai, lol?

• Like 1

“come on”.  I used to fly out of Kabul (KBL), Bagram, Kandahar and Baghdad and they didnt even make the list.  One is more likely to get in accident on the way  to DMK or even get into an escalator accident while walking to the gate.  

• Like 1

Another list has it listed as the 13th most dangerous in the world. Seems the golf course is just one of the issues. I always thought it was bizarre.

Servicing Bangkok, Thailand, there is nothing particularly special about Don Mueang International Airport except that there is a golf course in between two of the airport's runways. Despite the reasonably conventional design of the airport, a large number of flights both landing here and originating here have crashed. While there are different reasons for each crash, the fact that many of these flights are tied to this airport is a scary one. Does this make the airport suspect? Not necessarily. There has to be an airport that has a higher crash-to-successful landing ratio, this airport just happens to be it!

https://wanderwisdom.com/transportation/Most-Dangerous-Airports

This list has it ranked at #9.

When you look at it for a distance, you will notice that the airport looks like any other normal airport. But when you see it closely from a distance you will be amazed to spot that the very famous Don Mueang International Airport has a golf course exactly in the middle of the two runways. The airport was originally constructed for military operations but it now serves as an airport for just commercial airlines. Besides, the gold course in the centre has been barred for public access due to security and safety concerns. Many people can be heard saying how surreal the golf course location is and even if they dared or wished to opt for a golf session will be interrupted with an aeroplane flying just 20 yards away.

https://liamtra.com/blog/top-10-dangerous-airports-in-the-world/

It is also ranked 4/10 overall, on Skytrax.

https://www.airlinequality.com/airport-reviews/bangkok-don-muang-airport/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DMK is still high on my list of favorite airports following VIE. The service was always great and immigration was much quicker than at BKK. My first arrival in 1992 was a matter of 10 minutes from disembarking to saying hello to my pickup person. Thanks, DMK!

• Like 1