Would you pay ?

georgegeorgia

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

No, I wouldn't pay unless he got aggressive. I would ask how much the Indian guys were paying and maybe say to take it off their bill. 

I am not a doormat, it's important to stand up for my rights and keep integrity. 

For the songthaew driver to ask you for 10 baht for a service he didn't provide would be confrontational.

For you to question him would also be confrontational.

For him to get aggressive would be really confrontational.

He's Thai and your you're Thai (????) therefore such a situation is impossible given that you've told us in another thread that Thais are non-confrontational.

Contradictory much?

For all your time here I wonder if you really understand these people like you think you do?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Now you hail a baht bus going to Jomtien, you are the only one in it.

Just after  that overhead bridge up the hill  going ( don't know the name) but has small soccer sports court under it.

The bus stops for 6 indian guys , they talk to him and jump in the back.

He jumps out and approaches you as you sit in the back and  says they are going in a different direction and tells you to pay 10b for that short ride, and can catch another one.

Do you pay the 10 baht and jump out ?

Obviously the Thai bus driver was trying to cheat tourists again.

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Some people are responding like this was an actual incident. It's just the OP making up yet another fantasy 'what if' story

As I have replied before it happens, has to me several times, usually Sth Pattaya.Many groups, often Indian tour groups flag baht bus heading to Jomtiem.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Not to do with the money. 

Agreeing to pay for something you don't get sounds ridiculous to me. 

But he did get a ride up to the point where a better proposition was made to the driver of the private baht bus business.  Isn't the fare on those baht buses B10 wherever passengers get on and off?

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

As I have replied before it happens, has to me several times, usually Sth Pattaya.Many groups, often Indian tour groups flag baht bus heading to Jomtiem.

Then jump off without paying as he chose a better deal. If driver started to give grief, which I doubt they would as they kicked you off, pay the 10 baht and move on

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But he did get a ride up to the point where a better proposition was made to the driver of the private baht bus business.  Isn't the fare on those baht buses B10 wherever passengers get on and off?

I got on one and got off at the same place, as he squeezed more people on.. I didn't pay 10 baht!

Or did the driver accept a contract to take the passenger until he asked to get off, for 10 baht.. and he reneged on that contract?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I got on one and got off at the same place, as he squeezed more people on.. I didn't pay 10 baht!

Or did the driver accept a contract to take the passenger until he asked to get off, for 10 baht.. and he reneged on that contract?

No idea, I just asked a straightforward question, didn't I?..."Isn't the fare on those baht buses B10 wherever passengers get on and off?"

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Then jump off without paying as he chose a better deal. If driver started to give grief, which I doubt they would as they kicked you off, pay the 10 baht and move on

Not me whining, you reckon OP was telling BS, Im saying it happens.

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Isn't the B10 fare on the B10 baht bus B10 regardless of the length of your journey?

my understanding of baht busses and songtaews in CM is that the price is for staying on their route. If you want them to take you somewhere off the route you negotiate the price and they seem much more reasonable than taking a taxi. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No idea, I just asked a straightforward question, didn't I?..."Isn't the fare on those baht buses B10 wherever passengers get on and off?"

The answer is no, if you get off at the same place you got on without moving, it's zero. else, yes, 10 baht. . 

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

The answer is no, if you get off at the same place you got on without moving, it's zero. else, yes, 10 baht.

So the answer to the question that I asked is "Yes, it's B10 regardless of the distance".  Thanks. 

I wasn't asking about your non-journey.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So the answer to the question that I asked is "Yes, it's B10 regardless of the distance".  Thanks. 

I wasn't asking about your non-journey.

Not correct, it cannot be 'regardless of the distance,' zero distance or 2 or 3 laps would vary the price.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Are you arguing nonsensically AGAIN?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Olmate said:

If your journey is curtailed because the driver accepts a charter, they do not ask for the fare. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NextG said:

If your journey is curtailed because the driver accepts a charter, they do not ask for the fare. 

Is that what's stated in the Pattaya Baht Bus Cooperative's driver training manual?

Don't answer that. I'm waiting for the definitive right answer from the Pattaya forum's baht bus Obergruppenführer  @Jingthing

53 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yet he didn't "get off" or even wanted to get off there. He was forced off .

Life is way, way too short to ever make a big deal over 10 baht. Ever. I have known wealthy men who quibble, and make a big stink over 10 or 20 baht on a sizable restaurant bill. That is the epitome of a lack of class. Let it go. Get on living your life. 

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Some people are responding like this was an actual incident. It's just the OP making up yet another fantasy 'what if' story

So you not done the pattaya to jomtien in a baht bus at 3 am much then.

The other one was to turn right and start to go up the hill to the big Buddha

you push the bell to get off , he stops gets out then want to negotiate a fare to Jomtien.

You not had that one as well. :giggle:

Not had it for a few years now, but 20 years ago,  almost guaranteed,  if on your own in the baht bus going back home to Jomtien.

25 years of using baht busses for  me.

And you. :cheesy:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Is that what's stated in the Pattaya Baht Bus Cooperative's driver training manual?

Don't answer that. I'm waiting for the definitive right answer from the Pattaya forum's baht bus Obergruppenführer  @Jingthing

It's situational.

If they're really changing direction most drivers won't accept a fare.

• Thumbs Up 1