Latest date for ex-PM Thaksin’s return is August 22

webfact

5 hours ago, Red Forever said:

The Thaksin hate mob don't deal in facts just "lock up the runaway, thieving criminal" is about their level .

They also, conveniently, forget to mention that Mr T was a billionaire businessman before entering politics.

My partner, for one, will welcome him back if only for one reason: If he hadn't reformed health care funding she wouldn't have paid just 30 baht for a 7 day hospital stay which entailed 2 minor operations.

Whoever will you haters aim your vitriol at after the Thaksin circus leaves town?

There's obviously a lot of talk about Thaksin's criminal conviction and outstanding cases,  which as far as I know are all related  to financial corruption. Something else that's not mentioned is his support for the killers of red shirt protesters and innocent bystanders in 2010, in place of the justice he promised. This involved trying to get political opponents falsely convicted of murder, which I think might have involved a possible death sentence, although that may not have been carried out. Personally I think that's worse than financial corruption, but that's just my opinion. 

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

image.png

You are a traitor to all the people who love you. Your party has sold out to those who opposed you and now your party is in bed with them. You obviously were never for the people which is now evident. You and your party are finished. Such treachery will not be forgiven or forgotten. 

All that could be true, but without Thaksin, the masses may never have been awoken to the power of their voice and their vote.

Would there be an election winning MF party in 2023 if not for successes of Thaksin’s early 2000’s governments?

No.

There is a lot of nonsense going on around the world nowadays with statues being torn down and  institutions / buildings being renamed simply because the great men of yesteryear where not perfect.

All in all, Thailand and the Thai people are better off in that Thaksin involved himself in Thai politics.

It is a sad (though predictable) ending, but a worthwhile contribution nonetheless.

DeKlerk

Gorbachev

Habibie

Zedillo

Shinawatra

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

Winning the election has done them a lot of good hasn't it?

From conversations with a few Thai's in Isaan, they began to take an interest in politics during the Thaksin era, believing that their votes could actually make a difference. That belief, coupled with a desire to rid the country of the army's seemingly constant control, culminated in a landslide vote for Move Forward who they thought would make radical changes to the 'system'. Most had no idea that the 'Senate' had been put in place to thwart any such thoughts. They had even less idea that they had actually voted the 'Senate' in.

Now, the attitude I'm picking up is that nothing will ever change so let's return to receiving cash for our votes - he who offers the most, gets it.

Sadly, and I really hope I'm wrong on this but it seems that the short lived relationship between 'ordinary people' and thoughful voting is over.  Its doubtful that we will ever see such a convincing election victory again - not for a party promising real change.

It should not be forgotten that in voting for Move Forward, the people were prepared to ignore the party's criticism and threatened reform of their beloved Royal Family - possibly even agreeing that such reform was necessary.

Now I detect a growing resignation that they can't change anything, the 'elite' will always tread them down so let's just ignore everything and return to taking part in the country's totally corrupt society.

I'm not sure if Prayuth and his friends expected this change of attitude as a reaction to their 'stitch up' of the electorate but it certainly hasn't done them any harm. Perhaps a bonus.

Overall I think Thai people are now more disillusioned with politics than they have ever been.

Overall, you’re wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Fears of political betrayal abound as Thaksin plans to touchdown at Don Mueang Airport on Tuesday 

Dramatic moments are ahead in Thai politics with the public currently frozen in shock at the developments since the May 14th General Election. This may soon give way to anger and street protests if matters go as some senior and established analysts suggest they will from Tuesday and the days after that, as the Old Guard reasserts itself in power.

Next Tuesday may be a decisive day in Thai politics if former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra lands at Don Mueang Airport and is imprisoned while later, in the evening, the Pheu Thai Party’s nominee for Prime Minister runs the gauntlet of an increasingly activist Senate when his nomination to be Thailand’s 30th Prime Minister comes before Parliament. 

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/08/19/political-betrayal-fears-rise-as-thaksin-returns-don-mueang-airport-tuesday/

political-betrayal-fears-rise-as-thaksin-returns-don-mueang-airport-tuesday

Edited by metisdead
27. You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Only post a link, the headline and three sentences from the article.
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Are you serious?

If I hadn't visited my family back home for 10 years, and I finally decided I will see them on date X, what would keep me away from that trip?

If I would break a leg or have a heart attack, then probably I would delay it.

But what Thaksin did last time was that he told us that he has to delay this important trip because he had a check-up visit with a doctor. Later there was a picture of him being at an eye doctor.

Now tell me, would you delay the possibly most important trip of your life because of a minor check-up visit which could easily wait and could easily be done at your destination?

Thaksin is obviously lying, like usual. A check-up visit is not so important. There are other reasons why he postponed his trip to Thailand now already over 20 times. He could just tell his friends something like: I like to return but I am not sure I can come now without going to jail. I will wait until the conditions are better.

He could do that. But he doesn't. He presents some BS reasons, again and again.

Ha, how blinkered are you !!

As if he has not seen/visited family in the past 10 years.

The 20 times he "postponed" do you have the dates you can post up ?

• Sad 3

Fears of political betrayal abound as Thaksin plans to touchdown at Don Mueang Airport on Tuesday 

Dramatic moments are ahead in Thai politics with the public currently frozen in shock at the developments since the May 14th General Election. This may soon give way to anger and street protests if matters go as some senior and established analysts suggest they will from Tuesday and the days after that, as the Old Guard reasserts itself in power.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/08/19/political-betrayal-fears-rise-as-thaksin-returns-don-mueang-airport-tuesday/

Edited by anchadian

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Yep, just as I thought.

The dates that Thaksin has postponed approx.20 times is not important or maybe it is for you.

Several previous postponements would suffice.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, anchadian said:

The dates that Thaksin has postponed approx.20 times is not important or maybe it is for you.

Several previous postponements would suffice.

If one want to be specific with stating numbers they should have evidence..... or make themselves look like a liar.

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Yep, just as I thought.

Where did you learn to quote only part of a statement? In the red-shirt "news".

Here one more time just for you. It's only two lines, you should be able to handle this. Take your time.

"I don't have the dates. I only remember he told the public many times he will return.

Others counted, and those details were in the press. You could look it up if it is important for you."

• Haha 1