Should I pay cash or use my American visa card at a large store or hospital?

I prefer cash but I do make calls based on what I am buying or plan on doing.  In a big dept type store I prefer to use my CC as it is very hard to return defective product here with out giving up a body part and fighting so you can notify your bank and stop payment to dispute it.  

Hospitals, while I have never been to one that was expensive, If I was going in for an emergency, I would use my CC for the security deposit and pay cash when I was released if all was handled as expected.  Why I always keep a US CC handy everywhere I travel both personally and for work. Ya just never know. 

• Like 1

I have done both.  I used my Visa the last time because I did not want o bring 40,000 Baht in cash to the hospital.  I could not find an ATM inside of CM Ram hospital.  If the bill was expected to be around 10K then I would pay cash. 

54 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Niether...

Open a local Bank Account and transfer money to that from overseas. 

Make local payment digitally via mBanking transfer to avoid any 3% Mastercard or Visa charges. 

Yes, I have a local bank account and do transfer money to it for just under 1%.

My wife uses her phone to pay for everything - maybe I need to start doing the same for large purchases. otherwise I am fine for cash up to around 30,000 baht.

1 hour ago, Everyman said:

Far be it from be to contradict all the great grandpas in here - I’m surprised they don’t recommend paying with goats or bronze ingots - but credit cards are far and away the most secure form of payment in existence. You’re not paying with your money until you pay off the balance. Until then it’s the bank’s money and they will get it back from a vendor if there’s a problem, or just activate the insurance that’s included on every single purchase. There’s also sign up bonuses that can earn you a business class ticket back to or from the other side of the Earth. 

I really hope they ban cash like has been talked about with so much fear lately. They don’t use it at all in China and nobody seems to miss it. 

So pay the street food vendors with a Credit card, OK I'll try that on my next pancake purchase.

• Haha 1

As long as the credit cards majors will screw holders on crappy exchange rates or absurd fees, when abroad...cash will rule. This being said, I personnaly don't mind being screwed, but maybe not so much by a bank or credit card brand firm.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Niether...

Open a local Bank Account and transfer money to that from overseas. 

Make local payment digitally via mBanking transfer to avoid any 3% Mastercard or Visa charges. 

Expand  

Yes, I have a local bank account and do transfer money to it for just under 1%.

My wife uses her phone to pay for everything - maybe I need to start doing the same for large purchases. otherwise I am fine for cash up to around 30,000 baht.

One more option, slightly drifting off topic, nevertheless useful (as the discussion is about making large payments in Thailand). 

It's difficult for us foreigners to get and unsecured Thai Credit card. However, you can become a second card holder on your Wife's Credit Card account.

This means you are not stiffed on overseas exchange rates with your overseas card (if wishing to use a Credit Card to make payment)

Obviously, that's only if vendor is not charging the 3% surcharge for Credit Cards (most hospitals that I know of don't, in Bangkok anyway (Samitivej, Bangkok Hospital, Bumrungrad etc). 

Also, depending on the type of Credit Card you can accrue points and get discounts, air-miles etc.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some Thai hospitals give you discount when you pay with certain credit cards.

I have to admit I only use Thai credit cards, so I don't know if that is also the case with international cards.

As soon as 'anything international' is mentioned, they want to charge a surplus. 

Wife was treated at Bangkok Hospital last year - she was given an 'expected bill' of about 50,000 baht for pre-authorisation. 

She showed her insurance card, the bill was then increased to about 65,000 baht after being told its a different price for international insurance.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As soon as 'anything international' is mentioned, they want to charge a surplus. 

Wife was treated at Bangkok Hospital last year - she was given an 'expected bill' of about 50,000 baht for pre-authorisation. 

She showed her insurance card, the bill was then increased to about 65,000 baht after being told its a different price for international insurance.

I would report the matter to the media of the country where the international insurance was delivered.

• Like 1

If you do pull out your int'l credit card at (for example) Bumrungrad, the next question will be "do you want to pay in THB or USD?"  Ask me how I know that...

I haven't a clue what the best answer is.  Fortunately, I just pick up some scripts at Bumrungrad amounting to $400 USD or so.  So I don't sweat the fees.

But someone may want to chime in with the right answer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sigmund said:
26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I would report the matter to the media of the country where the international insurance was delivered.

Indeed... I was tempted to write to the insurance company and inform them of this 'dual pricing'...  (which ultimately pushes up our premiums), however...

- I'd guess the company (insurance provider) area already aware of this.

- Or, they may remove said hospital from their network thus limiting the options. 

Its dual pricing, its opportunist, it stinks...   sadly its typical of doing any kind of business in Thailand. 

I'm sure a Thai apologist will come along and tell that international companies are not paying extra, but local insurance companies are being offered a discount... Rubbish of course, its just an opportunity to dual charge.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

As long as the credit cards majors will screw holders on crappy exchange rates or absurd fees, when abroad...cash will rule. This being said, I personnaly don't mind being screwed, but maybe not so much by a bank or credit card brand firm.

Which credit card major ‘screws’ you in the exchange rate? 
It’s not them, it’s your bank. 

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

s always better.  U.S. credit cards and depending on where you charges will mostly hit you with an exchange rate greater then 1%.

False. I charge credit cards everywhere because it has 1. Fraud protections, 2) 1-3% cash back 3) Using OTP for at least 25-days. Of course in the hospital I use a HSA card. Never charged anything extra. Once I was buying a phone in Tukom, and the store said 3% charge. I said, thanks I will go to another store where there is no charge. And suddenly their tune changed and they took it without any charge. All cards I have now are free from international fees.

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Like 1

If you have a US credit card that has NO foreign transaction fees they're great. I pay for most everything with credit card. 

If your US credit card does charge a fee, best to not use it, as it will tack on typically 3%

Some vendors also charge a fee, (again, often 3%) so be sure to check.