Opinion: Thailand’s ambitious plan to tax incoming funds risks falling flat due to lack of clarity

webfact

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

As it stands, the proposed taxation on incoming funds is a well-intended but half-baked plan, a ship sailing into murky waters without a compass.

This just sums up the whole scheme in a nutshell.

As does any other scheme the government comes up with. But it's okay. They also usually come along with a U-turn within days, saying it's all a misunderstanding.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, placnx said:

Interesting. So Article VI (3) reads: "3. Companies of either Party shall not be subject within the territories of the other Party, to the payment of taxes upon income not attributable to sources within such territories, or upon transactions or capital not attributable to the operations and investments thereof within such territories." But Article VI (1) reads, in part: "1. Nationals and companies of either Party shall not be subject to the payment of taxes, fees or charges within the territories of the other Party, or to requirements with respect to the levy and collection thereof, more burdensome than those borne by nationals of all third countries."

So as an individual, this treaty does not help. You should read the Thai-US treaty on double taxation. You can probably get a credit on your US taxes for income taxes paid to Thailand.

You cite exactly the article in question. As a National of the USA and taxed there, I would not be subject to the same tax again in Thailand. This citation is currently being used by some Americans in Thailand on the argument that they are subject to Thai taxation and thus not the U.S. taxation. Currently this does nor affect me, I file my income tax fo4 s annually but am below the level where I owe any income taxes.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I live here, I will pay these taxes, and you recognise me as a defacto naturalised Thai citizen with all the rights that entails.

It's only fair.

Do you seriously think that happens in any developed country?

Of course it doesn’t. You pay taxes when you become tax resident in a country and it gives you none of the benefits that simply being a citizen of that country would give.

give it a break with the being a victim syndrome will you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai Revenue Department’s recent announcement to impose taxes on funds entering the country from abroad

It's been in the Personal Tax detail since 2008 to my knowledge, first time I needed to submit a Thai tax return, so it's not new, they are only going to implement it.

If they haven't thought it through in 15 years, they still have 3 months min to clarify it so that it's as clear as mud (like nearly everything else) to everybody.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I am more concerned with any rise in retirement/marriage Visa income requirements or maintained balances. As to this proposal, I suspect as an American, subject to USA income tax on worldwide income, the Amity Treaty would kick in. If I understand it correctly, the Treaty provides agreement that citizens of the two countries will be protected from double taxation.

Australia has a similar tax treaty with Thailand, so technically should not affect funds being transferred from Oz

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

But I and my pension may well get caught in this amateurish fiasco.

If I had to pay Income tax it would cost me 850000 a year, I'd be glad to contribute this to help make  Thailand  a better country my girls could grow and live in. But we all know this money would only feed more lazy and corrupt government agents.

I'm ost, how can you pay 850,000Baht to the Thai Revenue (tax) Department from your pension income?

(unless of course it's a very very generous company pension scheme).

To get to the point, I believe the farang who are very concerned are mostly state pensioners? The burning question - will hesf olks have to pay Thai personal Tax? (or will then be under the Thai personal tax threshhold?)

16 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

That's how, you ought to learn these things..

Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 15.58.39.png

i wonder what would happen if in your case you transferred 845K under the proposed rule or 100K for that matter.

100% claimed as tax or 30% ?

and if in the latter would the balance rollover to the following year?

devil will be in the details.

17 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Is that how it works in your home country?

There's a proper pathway to citizenship for those inclined and qualified.

With that pathway comes certain tax requirements. 

What there will be in Thailand, appears to be the tax requirements of a resident yet with annual and very temporary (non-immigrant) visa renewals with no residency pathway (for most).

Do you not understand the difference?

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Enzian said:

Several times I've stated on forums that the fact that this government (even more than others) is perfectly capable of changing any rule in any way at any time is why I will never buy a condo here, or contemplate any other long term commitments for that matter. Even if this particular issue quickly blows over (or just doesn't apply to me personally), the point is only reinforced. Myself, if needed, can have everything wrapped up and be out of here for good within two months at most. Caveat emptor.

When I moved here 18+ years ago the money I brought over was money I was prepared to lose and that still remains however I invested in property from day one and have more than quadrupled my original income and enjoy a very comfortable life style so it’s a case of swings and roundabouts I did the opposite to you and touch wood it will continue my Chinese neighbour keeps asking me if I want to sell my current property my answer I will give you first offer if I decide to !

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Australia has a similar tax treaty with Thailand, so technically should not affect funds being transferred from Oz

UK used to have (circa 2005) a Double Taxation Agreement with Thailand, which stated Income earned in UK is taxed in the UK only, Income earned is Thailand is taxed in Thailand only.

Now the UK version seems to have double taxation possible, with only UK Government Pensions (not State) and UK Civil Service Pensions being able to claim a refund in the UK in the event of them being double taxed.

• Confused 1