What sort of neighbors do you have?

Chris Daley

I still think mine are stealing my water.  The other day the girlfriend went out with the car, and he thought I wasn't in he started shouting (talking normally for him) naa ja mai mi krai yuu!  Looks like no one is there.  Yesterday he ran in the house and shouted pit nam pit nam!  Turn off the water.

What sort of neighbors do you have?

-  the shirtless and loud type

-  totally silent and you never see them

-  abandoned house but they still pay rent for it

-  the village karen that walks around the village checking every house

-  the alien

-  just a parking lot for pickups

-  the motorcycle rever

-  the loud music and beers every night family

-  the fake army guy with the flags and statues

-  the one with trained attack dogs barking 24/7

-  other?

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

Mainly hardworking Thais, one cuts my grass, will help out with almost anything, One takes all my crap for free, Only pain, one Italian guy who has the land next to me, by changing the slope of his land so it flooded my land, cuts his grass for days on end and he doesn't even live on the land. 

• Sad 1

In Thailand, pretty decent in general. Lived in a respectable neighbourhood in CM for years and the only times I had issue was withy loud, Pattaya-esque farangs (sorry guys) and couple of Koreans. Had the local dwarf Karen walking around bigging it up, but that is about it. I would have Thai neighbours any day to the utter ahole boomers I had to endure in the UK! F a doodle do! 

• Love It 1

I had a house left to me being a office and right to me too. It was heaven for nearly a decade but now the offices closed and my neighbors are construction guys.

Have to move once again…. They plan on renovating for up to 8 months at multiple houses here.

I think i moved over 10 times in 12 years, purely due to housing / noise problems…

There is nothing better than living next to office people who are quiet all day and leave during weekends.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chris Daley said:

I still think mine are stealing my water. 

Quite simple to check, take a meter reading and go out making sure he hears you leaving. or turn off the water and remove the cock handle. you could just be paranoid. How could he gain access to your water? next time just go see if your meter is spinning. It ain't rocket science.

Quiet Soi apart from neighbours living directly opposite. Parents enjoy more than one drink, sons (and maybe their daughter) take substances. Father called the police on at least one of his sons because he was stealing to obtain money to buy drugs. Father is light-fingered himself, saw him taking beer out of one of the cool boxes in our garden. However, he has helped us out by lending us extension cables on one occasion. The family doesn't like to overuse their toilets (they have three) and relieve themselves outside.      

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I cannot complain about our nighbours with a Myanmar origin.

The man was the leader of a group of good and reliable  handycrafts who had built our house and the cement ways to a bridge. I have told him many times, if he would have grown up in Germany, now he would be an engineer. We supported him building his own house connected to the cement tway. At that time his daughter was a young girl, and now an intelligent teacher in our village. The apple doesn't fall dawn far away of the tree.

Before the son of my wife came here for ever, he and his wife took care of our home and animals, when we left for a holiday or for seeing doctors in Chiang Mai.

In general, life in our village is very peaceful and relaxing.

Edited by puck2
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, roo860 said:

German neighbour, he reckons Hitler wasn't all that bad. 🤭

Just hope they don't use our builder.  Though doing a decent job, took her 18 months to finish a 4 month build  Maybe she shouldn't have taken on those other 8 contracts.

• Thanks 1

Until recently I had an alcoholic Norwegian / Thai couple.

Now that the guy has passed I have an alcoholic Thai woman 

On reflection the noise is 3 fold more than when it was the 2 fighting.

Now the lunatic screams at everyone and every thing  😱

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Across the street from me is what I call the Chinese compound. An extended Thai-Chinese family lives there. The patriarch of the clan died about five years ago. He was always friendly towards me. He grew up in the village in which I live and made a fortune in gold shops. Since he's died, I haven't had much interaction. The daughter once offered me some mangoes off their mango tree. Catty cornered to my left is dog lady, who never talks to me. OTOH, catty cornered to the right is a very friendly and talkative family of ex teachers. Most of the rest of village seems composed of retirees from the Ministry of Education (I think they bought in as a group deal about 20 years ago). So things are quiet, neat and tidy. It's pretty much the best place  I've ever lived in.

• Thanks 2