Don Mueang flight carrying Thai singer makes emergency landing after engine explosion

webfact

17 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Your image (above) shows a four engined aircraft whilst, according to the linked report, the subject aircraft had a problem with THE engine meaning it had only one. Further on, it states it was the Right engine meaning the plane was twin engined. 😀

We need "Liverpool Lou"here to explain to us, and sort this out once and for all!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

from the linked article...

As passengers began to feel ill, the captain conversed with the passengers who reported the sparks. Half of the passengers were vomiting, while others were fainting. Upon landing, everyone clapped and cheered in relief.

Sounds like it was a scary ride. Not sure if the vomiting and fainting were a result of smoke in the cabin or a result of fear.

I'm not sure but I doubt smoke would get from an engine into the cabin. The cabin is sealed to maintain pressure and heating is probably achieved by heat transfer.

22 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

As passengers began to feel ill, the captain conversed with the passengers who reported the sparks. Half of the passengers were vomiting, while others were fainting. Upon landing, everyone clapped and cheered in relief.

Sounds like it was a scary ride. Not sure if the vomiting and fainting were a result of smoke in the cabin or a result of fear.

I'm not sure but I doubt smoke would get from an engine into the cabin. The cabin is sealed to maintain pressure and heating is probably achieved by heat transfer.

21 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm a journalist and I've worked with the local variety. Not one of them would last a week in the real world.

I've said this about Thai workers in whatever job they are 'employed' in.  There is a genetic predisposition towards work avoidance sometimes requiring greater amounts of energy than actually working.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

I've said this about Thai workers in whatever job they are 'employed' in.  There is a genetic predisposition towards work avoidance sometimes requiring greater amounts of energy than actually working.

In my first job, in London, there was someone who did exactly that. I found it amusing.

23 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I wonder why?

Panic attack response to fearing death in a mid air explosion or crash landing?  Frankly understandable in this case. I've seen many Thais become hysterical over very minor things.

I was once on a plane that had to make an emergency landing at the nearest airfield with a hopefully long enough runway ( it was) because we were informed the hydraulics for the airbreaks had failed. The flight deck were calm and reassuring ( other than letting slip perhaps as an attempt at humour that they'd only practiced this once in training).  cabin crew were excellent, there was no panic amongst passengers, just silence as people, including me, reflected. Brace position was mandatory.  It was thank goodness a feather light landing and we came to a stop with runway to spare. Cheers and clapping from the passengers.

4 hours ago, kimamey said:

The fuselage is pressurized by the engine compressor, usually with clean air. Sometimes, engine fluid leaks can foul the air supply. Maybe even evicerated birds as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, degrub said:

The fuselage is pressurized by the engine compressor, usually with clean air. Sometimes, engine fluid leaks can foul the air supply. Maybe even evicerated birds as well.

If it smelled like fried chicken the panic would have subsided and a queue formed at the front.

• Haha 2

On 11/25/2023 at 5:15 PM, Tom H said:

Famous singer survived. 

What kind of journalism is this?

Any school for journalists in Thailand?

if there is, seems not too many writing the local crappy newspapers.

11 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, this photo had me baffled. 

Domestic flight from DMK, aeroplane with 4 engines. 

Nope 

Poor reporting seems to have become the norm on many or the reports we see here. Reports also quite often use English words that I, a native English speaker have never heard of - clearly using dictionary referencing. However, using photos of an aircraft with an engine layout that is configured completely differently and shows a totally wrecked engine is just plain wrong.

In this case it seems like the journalist just searched for a photo of a blown aircaft engine and said "that'll do".

On 11/25/2023 at 11:40 AM, JoePai said:

No mention of the airline ?

Bad for business. Airline could lose a lot of money. I once came across a bus in a ditch. Guess they were waiting for a crane to lift them out. While waiting they were busy painting the bus, starting with the name of the bus company. 

On 11/25/2023 at 7:00 AM, brianthainess said:

Wow I learn something everyday birds can fly at 4-5 thousand feet or 1,219 meters as stated in the full story. 

The record is a skein of Canada geese seen over the Hebrides by an Islandair Boeing 727 at 28,000ft. This was during the 1960s.

14 hours ago, kimamey said:

What do you mean heat transfer?

It seems like you are surmising how things might work in aircraft air conditioning and pressurization systems. But, I can't say you misunderstand it as obviously you have never done even two minutes of research on the subject

Air used for heating/cooling and cabin pressurization comes from engine compressor bleed valves.

There are numerous scenarios where smoke/fumes can get in the cabin, I've been there unfortunately. All airliners basically work this way except for one of the the latest, the  B787 (as far as I know).

On the 787 the air comes from electrically powered compressors.

A more efficient system that saves fuel and structural weight.

The cabin is not really "sealed" so tightly. Air is pumped in continuously the cabin  pressure  controlled/regulated by the outflow valve.

Without bleed air or properly working "packs" cabin pressure is very quickly lost. On the 737 in a common scenario this can be caused by pilot error. Result, "Rubber Jungle"  Then tea (no bikkies) with the base chief pilot!

http://www.b737.org.uk/airconditioning.htm

http://www.b737.org.uk/pressurisation.htm

B737-800-Air-conditionning-system-scaled.jpg.webp

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2023 at 10:17 AM, webfact said:

Passengers alerted the crew of sparks coming from the right engine, following which the engine was shut down. The captain declared that the flight could not continue and had to return to Don Mueang.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Usually it's the flight crews job to identify that the engine has blown up, but hey, it's good that the airline let the passengers participate in monitoring the health of the aircraft..

what ever it takes to make sure Por is safe!!

Edited by likerdup1

1 hour ago, Maybole said:

The record is a skein of Canada geese seen over the Hebrides by an Islandair Boeing 727 at 28,000ft. This was during the 1960s.

Wow really??. the air is very very thin at that altitude.. Are you sure about this??

Edited by likerdup1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

Wow really??. the air is very very thin at that altitude.. Are you sure about this??

Yes. They are known to fly very high and exploit jet streams

I have seen geese at 12-14,000 feet before

About the the birdsrike at 37,000 ft I read before that was a vulture. 

https://flightsafety.org/asw-article/entering-the-wild-kingdom/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rüppell's_vulture#:~:text=A Rüppell's vulture was confirmed,11%2C300 m (37%2C000 ft).

Rüppell's_Vulture_(Gyps_rueppelli)_(21160089681).jpg

Edited by Captain Monday

On 11/25/2023 at 3:39 AM, bamnutsak said:

or a result of the catering