currently stuck in Phuket airport (denied entry)

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Do you have a visa for entry?  Did you have a visa for previous visit(s).  Was there more than one previous visit?  What country was your current travel from?

No visas in 2023. Current travel was from Indonesia where I lived a few months, my home country was before that also a few months...

Edited by siwiek
  • Confused 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I think that only applies to someone already in Thailand that is being thrown out.

• Confused 1

I don't want to imply that the OP has any "checkered history" only they know

There are only a few ways refused entry could happen (with the limited info avail)
1) something popped up on the immigration computer (rightly or wrongly)
2) they met the wrong IO on the wrong day (possible)
3) they were traveling/acting in some perceived suspicious pattern/manner (singled out)

I been singled out on arrival several times over the decades (worked for an airline, traveled internationally thousands of times), twice in Thailand, several times elsewhere ... been drug tested, had the sniffer dogs appear, strip searched, luggage searched and extensively questioned, it happens - my best guess is simply extensive travel.

Certainly be interesting to see how this works out for the OP, my guess is singled out as that is my experience, best of luck :jap:

Edited by expat_4_life

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

If your Passport is stamped (blacklisted in Thai?), then never come back to Thailand.

A denied entry isn't the same as being blacklisted. Nobody stops you from re-attempting to enter at any point of entry on any other day. Of course it would be a good idea to choose wisely. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, expat_4_life said:

I been singled out on arrival several times over the decades (worked for an airline, traveled internationally thousands of times), twice in Thailand, several times elsewhere ... been drug tested, had the sniffer dogs appear, strip searched, luggage searched and extensively questioned, it happens - my best guess is simply extensive travel.

Wow you are a walking red flag. I’ve traveled the world over countless times over the years, the only incident of the above I’ve ever experienced was routine dogs checking the baggage areas for dope and money. Never been targeted, not once, not yet anyways.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Stand your ground... 

IF you have funds and a visa. OR... IF you have funds and an onward ticket.

Funds need to be 20,000 baht or currency equivalent. 

Ticket out needs to be within one month (if entering visa free - i.e. visa stamp on arrival).

Ask to speak with a supervisor - remain calm, polite, but confidently firm. 

Tell them they are attempting to deny you for having no funds, and that is incorrect - ask they why they really want to deny you.

They may well suspect you of working here, so be prepared to show proof of your work at home (or overseas) which indicates proof that you will not be working here. 

The ticket out is understandable but i came last week, visa excempt, married to a Thai for 13 years, and my return is for 23rd January. I did buy an onward ticket just in case, but neither Klm or the lady at immigration asked to see one. She just asked how long i was staying for, and i replied that i would extend later. I did the same last year too. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sd44 said:

The ticket out is understandable but i came last week, visa excempt, married to a Thai for 13 years, and my return is for 23rd January. I did buy an onward ticket just in case, but neither Klm or the lady at immigration asked to see one. She just asked how long i was staying for, and i replied that i would extend later. I did the same last year too. 

Down to the airline and to a certain extent the check-in agent. I was asked for sight of my retirement extension in September when checking-in on Thai Airways at Munich airport. On another occasion in Lisbon the check-in agent explained that if I was flying TAP Air Portugal there is no requirement but I was flying Air Europa who have. However, she felt it was unfair to treat passengers differently so exercised her discretion and permitted me to board. Unfortunately, upon transit in Madrid staff didn't agree and I was deboarded.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Ps. nope I wasn't taking photos or being disrespectful and in fact, right before this IO told me to "follow him" he actually first told me to be sure my return ticket was before January 9. It's like a flip switched in his brain and he U-turned and starting screaming at "Chinese" people and then me.

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, sd44 said:

Individual anecdote - proof an onward ticket or proof of visa is commonly requested at airline check-in.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, siwiek said:

Ps. nope I wasn't taking photos or being disrespectful and in fact, right before this IO told me to "follow him" he actually first told me to be sure my return ticket was before January 9. It's like a flip switched in his brain and he U-turned and starting screaming at "Chinese" people and then me.

The IO sounds like an absolute lunatic and most definitely not someone who should be in that position.

I imagine there are many in the forum with the right knowledge and connections in Thailand to put this vermin in his place. 

Your treatment seems not only wholly unfair, but also illegal - its just a shame there is no opportunity to get a face to face with someone reasonable. 

Do you know the final reason for your refusal of entry ? - did they still claim lack of funds even when you showed them funds ?

----

Moving forwards... You can't leave the airport and you can't enter Malaysia (as per your comment).

There are no direct flights from KL to Laos.

Your options are

- fly into Bangkok and try again (any stamp in your passport / do you know of any online record of refused entry?)

- fly to a neighbouring country and bus to the border.

You mentioned Air-Asia so are you now at the LCCT (low cost city terminal and not the main KLIA terminal) ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, siwiek said:

Thanks for all the help. I haven't been able to respond to everything but here's a summary:

I refused to sign the confession despite the IO getting in my face multiple times and screaming at me and also locking me and another guy in a holding room for 2 hours. 

He then had his intern girls tell me that I was going to have my passport blacklisted but wouldn't let me see it. The girls told me to book a ticket asap back to Kuala Lumpur which was my transfer airport between Indonesia and Phuket. 

Anyway the IO was lying, no such blacklist stamp in my passport after Air Asia gave it back to me. I think he's trying to hide from legal liability because he knows this entire thing was just Thai temper from losing face after my boarding passes were proven not fake like he accused me of.

I can't overstate how crazy this IO was acting literally running around screaming at various people. He must be the supervisor because he was not at a booth.

Now I'm stuck in KL airport because despite their police being very nice and professional and Air Asia being awesome throughout this, the official policy is that I can't pass into Malaysia for 1 week apparently. So they have instructed me to find another outgoing flight anywhere, but it should be Air Asia. I can't leave this terminal.

Why not fly into Vientiane and walk across the border.