You can't get a good pizza

georgegeorgia

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I think there is a Italian place in Jomtien opposite tinnies pies ?

There are many Italian places. 

I've tried a number of them.

I don't think I'll ever see pizza here again that pleases me as much as the closed place on Tappraya Pizza Art. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

TRY PUNCH AND JUDY PUB near land SOI 17  office  ----super pizza and  price v good service 10/10 and takeaway 

Is that place still going.... I recall hearing a lot of it many years ago but nothing more recently?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, joomz said:

I doubt anyone will read this but I'm a long-time lurker who signed up for an account just to say that Dom's changed their recipe a few months back. The pizzas are now smaller, crust is thinner, cheese is yellow and very, very slight.

Current Pratumnak resident who used to go every two weeks or so. I still walk by and peek in on the chefs... drizzling a pathetic few shreds of cheese on each pie. I really liked going there before, but it's not worth it anymore, so I wanted to share my disappointment with the change.

And yet they're still packed out all the time, so I guess most folks don't mind.

I read it 😁

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Is that place still going.... I recall hearing a lot of it many years ago but nothing more recently?

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I used to love their bangers & mash

Not sure if it's still going , haven't thought about going there for years ,never see any advertising around it 

image.png.9c81b78192285f9f3dff2d9e9edd62c7.png

On 12/26/2023 at 12:48 PM, georgegeorgia said:

I will have to try this , although I'm a bit sceptical because it sounds like it's in a tourist area and usually they are made fast 

A good pizza is made fast, cooked in under 2 minutes!

IMG_3713.jpeg

On 12/27/2023 at 3:47 PM, spidermike007 said:

I've been told that in Italy the Hawaiian pizza is illegal and one can get arrested for ordering this type of pizza. I've never understood the addition of pineapple to a pizza, it's counterintuitive if you ask me. 

Great pizza is not hard to make, my woman makes amazing pizza at home. It's all about the dough, high quality Italian flour, the quality of the cheese, and a great pizza sauce. And of course the toppings. Putting a little bit of olive oil on the crust before baking it also helps a lot. 

you have an oven?

15 hours ago, Keeps said:

Well, I read it and at least it's useful information. Unlike the pi$$ing competition between two of the posters earlier in the thread. 

Well said. No-one will probably read this dead discussion now but my Thai sister in law  goes one better:- "get real, because when you are hungry, everything is arroy". delicious.    For me Thai food is still the best.

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2023 at 1:49 PM, georgegeorgia said:

I didn't know that.

I remember a few years ago a friend who is a football coach went to Italy and said the pizzas wernt what he thought they would be 

I wonder where the Hawaiian pizza started 

I’m born and raised in Hawaii. Hawaiian pizza was created by a Greek chef in Canada. It has nothing to do with Hawaii

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Barnet1900 said:

Dominos for decent value. South Pattaya

Pizza big - Naklua

Old school pizza

Pum Puis.  Both darkside

Spellings might be off but they're good choices.

Was happy when Domino's announced they were coming to TH, as one I frequented near Memphis airport on way to/from work was decent.

Sadly the one I tested out here/Khlong San, was terrible, and never sampled another.

I love pineapple-everything and eat a mini-pineapple a day for fiber. The prob with pineapple pizza: Too acidic when combined with tomato sauce. Otherwise, I have no objections. Adding ham to it furthermore makes it too salty.

I used to do a white pie (ricotta-base) with paper thin pineapple rounds (roasted, so not soggy), pine nuts, and gorgonzola dabs. Blue cheese and pineapple is a perfect combo. I think I'll have it on toast later on.

We had an oven at home that went up to 1,000 degrees F and during covid became complete pizza-ologists. You want a 2-day sour dough rise, San Marzano canned tomatoes and not much oregano etc, and def no fresh herbs until table side, if at all. To get a crust that is both thin and chewy takes some kneading technique. It's a genius food of 3 ingredients. Anything else is dead weight. 

I tend to be anti-toppings. If pushed, maybe some decent, non-canned olives or possibly mushrooms. You have to worry about it being too salty. There's plenty of salt in San Marzano canned tomatoes. We grew our own SM tomato's but the canned kind worked better for pizza. In my native Staten Island, there is the noble tradition of the Grandma Slice, where whatever is heaving in the garden (basil, plum tomato's) is heaped on top of a reg. slice. July to September; then Grandma is done.

Finally, I am disappointed here at the lack of snobbery about coal-fired ovens. They get the proper density of heat that nothing else provides. Outlawed now in New York, a few grandfathered-in shrines like John's in the village keep hope alive. After New York, and then after Staten Island (it's own pizza-world), New Jersey is indeed superb -no wait, there's the coal-fired Nirvana of New Haven too.

Anthony  Bourdain said that you have decide if you are a cheese or a sauce person. We are sauce people. We def go light on the cheese and substitute 50% parm cheese. I tend to pick excess mozzarella off my slice.  Deep-dish? Like a bowl of melty cheese? Yuck.

• Love It 1

On 12/27/2023 at 3:47 PM, spidermike007 said:

Putting a little bit of olive oil on the crust before baking it also helps a lot. 

Make that super-lite olive oil. Extra-virgin etc burns at lower temperatures. Dab that on at the end.

We're going up to 800 degrees with an extra pizza stone on the upper oven rack above to refract heat.

Any person here not using at least a single pizza stone needs to be mocked. I designate NextG for that needed task.

He's right about the better ingredients in Euro-land, but they don't fire up the oven hot enough. 

Woodfired works for me too. Why Not? Italian in Nimman gets in the ballpark.

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/27/2023 at 12:38 PM, NextG said:

Fresh San Marzano tomatoes slow cooked for hours to create a tomato base. Not tinned, but fresh. 

We tried it, with tomatoes straight off the vine, but it was a lot of work for a slightly inferior version to canned.

Some ethnic foods deliberately include processed foods because that's the agreed upon taste. In New Orleans Cajun food, they use garlic powder AND fresh garlic. They like that earthy undertone of the powder. In Puerto Rican food, they make their own sofrito and scoop some out of a jar too. Most Indians (and Thai's) start with a glop of a curry mix and then customize from there. 

Purists are the enemies of gluttons.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Any person here not using at least a single pizza stone needs to mocked.

If a business, yea, a true pizza oven is required.   But for the home cook, you can improvise

I don't do enough pizzas in house to buy a silly priced baking/pizza 'steel' here.

We made challah bread for our New York Jew landlord for Christmas. It had a proper brown crusty bottom and a proper rise due to a pizza stone. He keeps sending me French toast video's.

If you bake more then twice a year, get a stone. 5,000 years of baking history is on my side. And the stone gets better as it gets more burnt.

You want a dry, super-hot oven. That's why we put the sauce on lightly. Steam is the enemy of bread. A hot stone is the enemy of steam.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Was happy when Domino's announced they were coming to TH, as one I frequented near Memphis airport on way to/from work was decent.

Sadly the one I tested out here/Khlong San, was terrible, and never sampled another.

I've been eating it in Thailand for 3 years. Never had a bad one. 220bt for a large pepperoni is unbeatable. Not authenticate Italian pizza granted but vfm.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Barnet1900 said:

I've been eating it in Thailand for 3 years. Never had a bad one. 220bt for a large pepperoni is unbeatable. Not authenticate Italian pizza granted but vfm.

Probably, hopefully just a one off, as can't imaging Domino's putting out something that bad.  Though I did notice it didn't last long.   One of the first to open in TH.

• Thumbs Up 1