What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2024)

Rimmer

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

I don't blame Ian Rankin. The guy's 64, he probably needs to fund his retirement.

Did you watch Game of Thrones? One of the best series in the history of TV because it followed the books faithfully (until that disasterous final season)

How does the final goes in the book?

Edited by Henk Langeweg
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, BigStar said:

It does, because you don't see the better movie you could have IF it weren't diminished by lesser minds, nowadays often for political reasons.

They never make it better, though. Nine hundred ninety-nine times out of a thousand, they make it worse.

No, it doesn't matter to me.

I either like it or I don't.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Will27 said:

No, it doesn't matter to me.

But the reason you don't like it may simply be because Hollywood messed up the original story and characters. That can leave you wishing for something better as you realize the movie had so much more potential. Off the top of my head, the new Foundation series is a good example. It's easy to tell it's been screwed up to stick in the usual tropes.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, BigStar said:

But the reason you don't like it may simply be because Hollywood messed up the original story and characters. That can leave you wishing for something better as you realize the movie had so much more potential. Off the top of my head, the new Foundation series is a good example. It's easy to tell it's been screwed up to stick in the usual tropes.

The problem with movies vs books historically, is that the movie typically does not have time for the same degree of character development that the author of a book has, so changes have to be made. 

I do not mind when the movie makes a man into a women, a white into a black, or a heterosexual into a homosexual, but I do mind when the focus of the story shifts to sex, race or gender with the change. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

It's not hard.

1 hour ago, jaywalker2 said:

I don't blame Ian Rankin. The guy's 64, he probably needs to fund his retirement.

Did you watch Game of Thrones? One of the best series in the history of TV because it followed the books faithfully (until that disasterous final season)

Ian Rankin's worth 10 million quid, so yeah, he is struggling.

• Thumbs Up 1

dunno if anyone recommended this... just started watching and looks promising for a friday night action flick... title is ATLAS

Atlas

27 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

dunno if anyone recommended this... just started watching and looks promising for a friday night action flick... title is ATLAS

Atlas

I watched it, it was not too bad, but I thought Jennifer Lopez was terrible. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I watched it, it was not too bad, but I thought Jennifer Lopez was terrible. 

started watching it not knowing j lo was in it... still... it was ok... would have been better with another starlet... at least she didnt twerk  :sorry:

33 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

started watching it not knowing j lo was in it... still... it was ok... would have been better with another starlet... at least she didnt twerk  :sorry:

I actually think it could have been pretty good with a decent lead, she was like someone's mom in spandex saving the world. 

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I actually think it could have been pretty good with a decent lead, she was like someone's mom in spandex saving the world. 

I gave up after about 45 mins, actually fell asleep.  Rewound to were I dozed off, gave it 5 mins, then fast forwarded, peek if any interesting.  Then deleted it.  Lopez & AI buddy routine wasn't working for me, add it's mostly CGI, and not that good, didn't leave much of interest.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/30/2024 at 1:59 AM, RayWright said:

Just watched "Mysteries of the Pyramids with Dara Ó Briain", 2 parter, 90 mins all in.

With the BBC axing Mock The Week with no explanation,  Dara is branching on on Ch5 presenting documentaries.

Him being a bit of a nerd his style works as he discusses the academic solutions and theories as well as some of the far fetch 'Alien' ideas. Programme mostly covers Egypt, however makes reference to some of the other 5,000 pyramids across the planet. Could easily be expanded into a longer series to cover more of the South Amercian, Chinese, SEA etc constructions.

Found it on TG, just aired in the UK.

On the subject of Egypt, I found a few documentaries on how/why civilisations vanish, and although that's not the title, it is the gist of the documentaries, with the first one being about Egypt and how a flourishing civilisation became extinct. Next was the Minoans, then the Mayan civilisation – – civilisations/people who flourished for thousands of years, then suddenly vanished.

I found them on BBC iPlayer under the "documentaries" category and thought they were great, and I won't give any secrets away, so I hope people enjoy watching them. 

• Thanks 1

What You Wish For. I suppose this would belong in the horror genre, but it's definitely a cut above the usual rubbish. Kept me entertained from start to finish.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

i dont get this show. it had four episodes of season 2 in 2023 and now its back.... still season 2. quite a long break between shoots. forgive the pun. not a bad show even if it is incorrect historically...   ; )

1382427-billy-the-kid-JqRFf.jpg

Edited by Pouatchee

14 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i dont get this show. it had four episodes of season 2 in 2023 and now its back.... still season 2. quite a long break between shoots. forgive the pun. not a bad show even if it is incorrect historically...   ; )

Watched so long ago the first part, will wait till full 2nd season available and binge it,

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Yup, a couple of other series split a season up into 2 halves ( Ozark was one i think ), most annoying if you don’t realise it is going to happen.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 9:34 AM, steve187 said:

I enjoyed sugar. hope they do a S02

Sorry to disappoint, It was a one-off mini series. I thought it was a good detective story, with the old cinematic clip edits - until he .. at the end of e06 then I lost interest.

If it’s a sci-fi mystery then I’m more into Outer Range which I feel has a The leftovers vibe although just half way through the first season.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, recom273 said:

Sorry to disappoint, It was a one-off mini series. I thought it was a good detective story, with the old cinematic clip edits - until he .. at the end of e06 then I lost interest.

Sugar S02 was announced a week or two ago. Apparently Apple thought it was profitable enough and decided to resurrect it.

59 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Sugar S02 was announced a week or two ago. Apparently Apple thought it was profitable enough and decided to resurrect it.

Thanks, I stand corrected - tmdb seems to now changed their categorization to returning series. I thought Colin Farrell was good, and I liked the edits and his narration, it reminded me of a George Pelliecanos book, but the concept of his group (sorry, trying to be purposely vague as to not spoil) was just too far fetched.