What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2024)

Rimmer

On 7/21/2024 at 3:01 PM, BigStar said:

SciFi, you junkies.

I started watching this, the Chinese version:

Three-Body (2023)

30 episodes, slow-paced, more faithful to the books. Authentically Chinese. More science; more cerebral--which I like. Not sure yet HOW much patience will be required, but I'll see if I can stay with it. So far it IS at least progressing one way or the other.

The Netflix version:

3 Body Problem

8 episodes for shorter attention spans, compressed & a bit dumbed down as you'd expect.

Knowledgeable redditors discuss at length the difference between the two versions:

https://reddit.com/r/threebodyproblem/comments/1brdoum/threebody_2023chinese30_eps_vs_3_body/

One redditor says in short:

Chinese: more realistic, scarier and complete. but it also has a plot that could be done in half the number of episodes and you feel it.

English: easier to watch, better visual effects, more dynamic. but they simplified and changed the plot, removed explanations.

Some complaints about the acting in the English version.

Had no problem staying with the 30 episodes of this series, kept my interest sufficiently. Well-done, good casting, distinctive characters you can care about (which you'll need to do, as it delves extensively and slowly into the background of one main character), stylish, intelligent, creative.

Depicts a Chinese society unknown here: middle-class scientists and engineers in the modern world. (I felt more sympathetic towards Chinese after watching this.) Does go back extensively into the insanity of the Cultural Revolution era to explain how the main character became warped. Grat retro tech in that section. The virtual world episodes require patience and a love of sci-fi.

Not an action flick. Slow burning, academic, thinking man's sci-fi mystery that finally culminates in some incomprehensibly advanced alien tech infecting the world in prep for an invasion. Expensive special effects in a scene of a freighter being sliced up by nanothreads. That was pretty good.

So, not for everyone, not the typical kind of movie/series praised here.

I'll go back and review parts of it, but I won't watch the whole thing again. Fans of it do. Seems a 2nd season is in the works for 2026 that will follow the second book in the series. I think I'll take a look at the Netflix version.

Edited by BigStar

seeing how this is the slow time for tinsel-town and tv productions, I have been scratching my bald spot in frustration for what to watch. I came across this old movie and realised they have a total of 5 movies spread out over 40 years... might appeal to some, might not to others... and might just bring back memories too... sorry for the pic sizes... i only put 3 movie posters...

PhantasmPhantasm II

Phantasm: Ravager

• Like 1

@Will27 Thank you for the reco about Yosi, the regretful spy. I've just finished the first season and it was really good. A little slow and you have to pay attention so may not appeal to everyone. The comparison with The Bureau is very valid, even though I think that The Bureau was more enjoyable. The first season of Yosi, the regretful spy, leaves you hanging and has to be followed up with season 2,

Unfortunately, I can't find a download for season 2. Have found the first two episodes, but the rest doesn't seem to be available.

Does anyone know where to find them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Good news.

The excellent Slow Horses starts again next month.

Great show...but one of our members I,m guessing will be complaining again as to why Jackson Lamb is so scruffy and unorthodox in his methods....LOL

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Bad Monkey

After getting bounced from the Miami PD, a former detective is demoted to restaurant inspector in the Florida Keys.

An unusual new case might get him back in the department if he can get past a trove of oddballs, and one bad monkey.

• Like 1

Watched Scarface,  last night. 

What a great classic 1980's  movie. ( dated special effects ) ha ha.

A young, Al Pacino,  giving it all.

(say hello to my little friend )

What a catchy phrase from the 80's, when passing, a big old fat joint around. :giggle:

tony.PNG

Edited by rocketboy2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, touch said:

@Will27 Thank you for the reco about Yosi, the regretful spy. I've just finished the first season and it was really good. A little slow and you have to pay attention so may not appeal to everyone. The comparison with The Bureau is very valid, even though I think that The Bureau was more enjoyable. The first season of Yosi, the regretful spy, leaves you hanging and has to be followed up with season 2,

Unfortunately, I can't find a download for season 2. Have found the first two episodes, but the rest doesn't seem to be available.

Does anyone know where to find them?

@touch, or @Will27 I've been looking for a version of Yosi, The Regretful Spy with English audio or English subtitles but have failed so far. Did the version you watched have either English audio or subs? If yes, where can I find it please? Torrent or stream? 

Edited by Mutt Daeng

58 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

@touch, or @Will27 I've been looking for a version of Yosi, The Regretful Spy with English audio or English subtitles but have failed so far. Did the version you watched have either English audio or subs? If yes, where can I find it please? Torrent or stream? 

Update: Season 1 & 2 of Yosi are on Bitsearch.  Season 1 has subs but no indication in the title which languages. No indication as to whether season 2 has subs, so I'm downloading it to find out.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Update: Season 1 & 2 of Yosi are on Bitsearch.  Season 1 has subs but no indication in the title which languages. No indication as to whether season 2 has subs, so I'm downloading it to find out.

Season 1 with Eng subs are on eztvx.

I haven't found season 2 as yet.

• Thanks 1

I have just finished watching what appears to be the final episode of the "Vienna Blood" series on BBC iPlayer which I found good viewing, and the final episode was indeed totally unexpected, but quite possibly hinted upon what the future will hold for Austria??

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, petermik said:

Great show...but one of our members I,m guessing will be complaining again as to why Jackson Lamb is so scruffy and unorthodox in his methods....LOL

I never complained.....just wondered why the writers decided to dress the main character like a tramp.......simple observation.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Thank you @Mutt Daeng Bitsearch was new to me. Happy to tell you that season 2 downloaded OK and has English subs.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I came across this old movie and realised they have a total of 5 movies spread out over 40 years... might appeal to some, might not to others... and might just bring back memories too...

You might like the Hellraiser series too.  I remember watching a few on VHS in the 90's 

https://thetvdb.com/lists/hellraiser

of course the other classics  Nightmare on Elm Street,Evil Dead.  Another one just came to mind  Braindead (1992) which I think was banned in the UK  due to "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" 

do-gooders like Mary Whithouse and ilk.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, johng said:

You might like the Hellraiser series too.  I remember watching a few on VHS in the 90's 

https://thetvdb.com/lists/hellraiser

of course the other classics  Nightmare on Elm Street,Evil Dead.  Another one just came to mind  Braindead (1992) which I think was banned in the UK  due to "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" 

do-gooders like Mary Whithouse and ilk.

555 very familiar with this movie series... enjoyed it in the 90's too. thanks...

Not mentioned too much, if at all ...

The Ark ... slow start on S1, character building, but by E4 or 5 getting interesting.  S2 now, and 5 eps in, still good.

Evil is finishing up S4 / last, and E13 to go then done.  Entertaining.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The Ark ... slow start on S1, character building, but by E4 or 5 getting interesting.  S2 now, and 5 eps in, still good.

I was strangely intrigued as I watched S1. It's like a sandwich with all the wrong ingredients that somehow hits your tastebuds in a delicious way. The acting is terrible and the story is hackneyed and predictable but, like the sandwich, it just works.

Also, I like the bird with big tits 😀

Thanks for the heads up on S2 as I didn't know it had started yet

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

I was strangely intrigued as I watched S1. It's like a sandwich with all the wrong ingredients that somehow hits your tastebuds in a delicious way. The acting is terrible and the story is hackneyed and predictable but, like the sandwich, it just works.

Also, I like the bird with big tits 😀

Thanks for the heads up on S2 as I didn't know it had started yet

Good description ... bunch of C or D list unknowns, bad CGI, what little there is, and somehow, entertaining.

I noticed the Oscar-winning movie by Jane Campion, "The Piano" on BBC iPlayer and couldn't remember much about it although I was in NZ when it was released, so thought I'd watch it again.

Nothing exciting about it as it just plodded along featuring some of the typical New Zealand forest and bush life, along with some Maori folk, not to mention the coastline of the South Island, so how it became an Oscar-winning movie, I'm not sure. 

However what I am sure of is that the acting by the young Anna Paquin did deserve an award because she was superb, as for Holly Hunter, well not so sure about that as she was a mute and IMO very difficult to show too many skills with just sign language!

Sam Neil and Harvey Keitel also starred.

• Like 1

An old one but for some reason I haven't seen any episodes after Season 1 & so far am really enjoying it...

The Killing... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1637727/

A police investigation, the saga of a grieving family, and a Seattle mayoral campaign all interlock after the body of 17-year-old Rosie Larsen is found in the trunk of a submerged car.

• Like 2

One of the pleasures of aging is watching movies we saw in our youth freshly yet again. You might remember you thought they were good but probably don't recall details.

Sometimes on watching again they hold up and sometimes they don't.

IF (1968) which was the film debut of the great Malcolm McDowell holds up in spades. Also good of course if it's your first time.

• Like 2