Do you still keep up with news in your home country?

I rang a friend this morning on WhatsApp who now lives and retired in Bali 

I was surprised to hear in the background Australian talkback

Radio station going with the hourly news read 

And it got me thinking when I do move to the Philippines or Thailand or Cambodia or even Bali would I bother to keep up with news in my home country?

When is the stage you stopped caring?

Stopped being interested 

Edited by georgegeorgia

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Home news on tv is so woke/ PC that I get nauseous watching it, so I don't. Only news heard is on radio and that is so minimal as to be useless- 2 minutes and usually shorter than the sports news.

ABC Radio is very woke , I stopped listening to it too

• Like 1

NO.

Except, sometimes, I cannot help but hear about all the mass shootings in my home country, even though I try to stuff cotton in my ears.

image.png.1a5f6d97e2d3e275253124e1b5d1ae9b.png

On November 10, for example....

image.png.6bf4d4372d58545719ca9c11e5da5af9.png

image.png.df87a878008b95838ba93873859d5562.png

Seems as if St. Croix is no longer the paradise it once was, 55 years ago, when I went to visit my roommate in the Virgin Islands.

Still, it seems that it might be partially true that possession of firearms does not directly correlate with intentional homicide by gun.\:

image.png.80d7fee1a1ac60991af29e0f362cc1f6.png

So, in reply to the OP....

Yes, I do keep track of some of the mass shootings in my home country.

But, I really do not know why.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

ABC Radio is very woke

What is YOUR interpretation of WOKE, Wokeness?

Just curious.

Concerning Wokeism, Cancellation Culture, and Freedom of Speech....

Better listen to Noam....

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Nemises said:

It’s important to keep abreast of what’s happening back home. For example today’s major Australian news is about a man finding his hat. 

IMG_2343.jpeg

Anyone wearing a green hat in China/Taiwan will be considered a cuckold.

The Chinese expression:  Dai Lu Mao .... is known to most Chinese....

image.png.dac67b2daa7077783b69feb113aa016f.png

• Haha 1

Talk radio and particular news outlets from both the right or the left will only whisper in your ear the sweet nothings you want to hear 

I usually wake up an hour or two before the wife, I make my coffee and log on to my laptop to check my FB messages ,and read my emails,  then I log on to Google news and scan the headlines from back home and around the world, Generally the headline tells you all you need to know, but if I see a headline I fine of particular interests I copy it and pasted in google search to see what multiple sources have to say about it. 

Consequently I feel I am well informed in what is happening around the world and home. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Not much good coming out of USA.

My ex there listens to the AM radio! Yes, she does. The man there sounds like fake Hitler on internet, screaming and yelling something about Trump...

I suggested to get coat hanger antenna to her million $$ home, like hillbillies have in trailer parks, and start to watch black & white TV....

Didn't go well.

I keep up with the news via taxpayer-funded media and those outlets who support themselves with advertising.

I like to know what governments are doing which may affect me. I follow sports and politics, ignore fashion, celebrities and religion.

I'm unable to see the point of paying for news I can get free. Sorry, Rupert.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Talk radio and particular news outlets from both the right or the left will only whisper in your ear the sweet nothings you want to hear 

I usually wake up an hour or two before the wife, I make my coffee and log on to my laptop to check my FB messages ,and read my emails,  then I log on to Google news and scan the headlines from back home and around the world, Generally the headline tells you all you need to know, but if I see a headline I fine of particular interests I copy it and pasted in google search to see what multiple sources have to say about it. 

Consequently I feel I am well informed in what is happening around the world and home. 

Maybe well informed, but did you still miss this important story in FE, the Financial Express?

image.png.28ba9686b794828be578a9da1aac2f0f.png

https://thefinancialexpress.com.bd/lifestyle/others/how-nauru-became-the-most-obese-country-in-the-world

I would be most surprised if SPAM in a Can is not mentioned.

Spam is very welcome cargo in these places.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

I'll follow sports & scan headlines, investigating what piques my interest....

I don't have to worry about finding negative news from my country Aseannow excels in glorifying & "reporting" all the bad it can find.....

With 200 countries around the world they have a difficult time balancing the scales.....

Just the headlines, and not MSM.  Been around long enough to know, the news doesn't give you information about your home country that is useful for you, just propaganda for their benefit.

Nothing has changed since I took the red pill ... except more people happily take the blue pill than every before.

Have the App versions of The Daily Mail and The Sun, so I can still read Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Littlejohn and the odd Piers Morgan 'Arry bashing articles. Rest of the time to gloat how stupid the UK has become.

It depends what Home Country is your Home Country. Some Home Countries are cutting down on old age benefits, especially for those that live outside of the Home Country.

Avoiding surprises, one must read the news from the Home Country.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, swissie said:

It depends what Home Country is your Home Country. Some Home Countries are cutting down on old age benefits, especially for those that live outside of the Home Country.

Yes correct 

Sky News for Ian King Live and the headlines each weekday early evening in Thailand before dinner. PMQs at 6/7pm Thai time on Wednesdays for entertainment. Used to listen to LBC more but, other than Nick Ferrari, other LBC presenters are super lefty and sickeningly woke now. YouTube Premium for other news snippets, world news, commentary and documentaries.

I do keep up with the news in my home country (UK) to remind myself what a complete and utter cr*p hole it has become and to remind myself why I much prefer being in Thailand. 

No. I wouldn't even know when the next Federal election is due. Australian politics have no effect on planetary outcomes so I'm more interested in US, European and Eastern Asian politics. Not even Thai politics.

34 minutes ago, Keeps said:

I do keep up with the news in my home country (UK) to remind myself what a complete and utter cr*p hole it has become and to remind myself why I much prefer being in Thailand. 

The UK is an extreme example of "Heat or Eat" for a large part of the population. A harbinger for the rest of the "western world".

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, swissie said:

Exactly. The US Government is the "manager" of my retirement fund.

I need to stay aware of how badly they are handling that responsibility.

The US is the decisive influence on global war and peace, economy, etc. so everyone should probably follow US news.

Another odd thing that forever ties Americans abroad can be seen here:

https://cuencahighlife.com/united-states-government-treat-expatriates-badly/

That said I wonder if I was from Paraguay for example how closely I would follow their news.

I reckon it would depend on the level of family, cultural, and economic ties back there or anywhere. 

I suppose passage of time would typically reduce interest in general as well.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

I've in several countries over my lifetime, but I never stopped reading, listening, watching US news outlets.

And I might add something that still hangs on by a thread local newspapers for the home town news

I gave up watching UK and World news during the Brexit debate/Trump era, the divisive negativity dominating the airwaves was the final straw for me. Now I scan the event based, not opinion based,  daily headlines on my phone in the morning and that's it, I figure if an event is significant enough for me to want to know about it I'm unlikely to miss it on BBC News app or my chosen Twitter news feeds. I watch Channel News Asia as I'm interested in what's happening in the region and it's more relevant for me civilised actual news without the head to head politically based arguing that was seeming to dominate news programmes back home.

On 1/5/2024 at 3:56 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I rang a friend this morning on WhatsApp who now lives and retired in Bali 

I was surprised to hear in the background Australian talkback

Radio station going with the hourly news read 

And it got me thinking when I do move to the Philippines or Thailand or Cambodia or even Bali would I bother to keep up with news in my home country?

When is the stage you stopped caring?

Stopped being interested 

Weekends I listen to 4BC, the 2 Murray's and The Continuous Call Team. 

Facebook I follow a couple of news channels news.com.au. etc.

These Facebook followings keep me posted. 🇦🇺

Only turn on the TV to watch NRL. 

I download lots of podcasts these days. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

On 1/5/2024 at 5:11 AM, georgegeorgia said:

ABC Radio is very woke , I stopped listening to it too

That's Australia ABC, agree. 

JJJ is good to listen to, I podcast Dr Karl every week. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

I read from various outlets and empirically assimilate a deduction to possible facts and wait for history to fester out the truth, but even then who knows. All the media is rampant with controlled bs.