Pink Id card for foreigners

6 minutes ago, novacova said:
13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whenever travelling I usually carry my passport with my anyway

We all do, whether everyone admits or not.

I literally just gave you an example of when I flew domestically without my passport and used the Pink ID....

I think you are cherry picking for some reason to argue against something many have already pointed out adds a layer of conveniences - I'm not sure why you object to this so much.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, novacova said:

You failed to read the OP stated that the bank required a pink id.

I don't believe that or there must be some special circumstances either not stated or misunderstood.

• Like 1

Just now, bbko said:

To see some people get so worked up over an optional form of identification is funny.

Worked up.. nah....  

.. Countering flawed generalisations in a topic on a forum designed for discussion... Yep !!... 

Whats your input to the thread ?... anything of value ?...  or did you just feel compelled to impart a dash of irrelevant kokwomblery ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whats your input to the thread ?... anything of value ?...  or did you just feel compelled to impart a dash of irrelevant kokwomblery

555, look at my post at the top of the page, I gave my input, and actually agree with your posts. 

Did you think my "worked up" remark was aimed towards you? (it wasn't).

3 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I too have heard that DLT at Pattaya do not accept the Yellow House Book as proof of address.

I've never understood why, its an official proof of address.

After rejection of yellow book at Pattaya Land Transport Office, a friend asked the office supervisor for an explanation and got the following reply.

Thanks for that...

... next, I'm not criticising your comments, but the content of the response from the DLT... which I'll deal with in steps...

The Pattaya office has not accepted the yellow book for several years when applying or renewing a licence that covers all of Thailand. Some exceptions were made during the Covid lockdown period.

Its still strikes me as strange that this DLT does not accept this book while most others do - its like they've made up their own rules (which is not strange for Thailand actually).

The Yellow book is acceptable if a Chonburi area only licence is required.

Thats a very odd response, there is no such thing as a 'Chonburi area only licence' - its a Thailand Driving Licence (and covers the whole of Thailand).

(I addressed this point on the first page of this thread).

The office has decided an immigration resident paper is more reliable for obtaining up to date residence status because it is connected with the latest TM30 information.

Kind of irrelevant when a DL lasts for 5 years and a new TM30 with a different address can be submitted the day after getting a DL issued.

That said: Your point holds as I haven't submitted at TM30 since 2020...  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bbko said:
11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whats your input to the thread ?... anything of value ?...  or did you just feel compelled to impart a dash of irrelevant kokwomblery

555, look at my post at the top of the page, I gave my input, and actually agree with your posts. 

Did you think my "worked up" remark was aimed towards you? (it wasn't).

Perhaps I was getting worked up after all and let my food of the clutch too quickly........  :ninja:

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its still strikes me as strange that this DLT does not accept this book while most others do - its like they've made up their own rules (which is not strange for Thailand actually).

I personally rejected the explanation my friend was given and applied my own reason :-

We do not accept yellow books as proof of address because the immigration office prefer we send all applicants to them for fee extraction.  

Edited by Fruit Trader
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I obtained one about two years ago. IIRC, the official wanted documentary evidence of the death of my parents, and my birth certificate. It took two days and about 6 hours of her pecking away at a keyboard like a headless chook.

Definitely needed a native Thai speaker with a good command of English.

I can't think of any situation where I have actually used it. Perhaps some kind soul will post its uses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petedk said:

Incidentally, I read today that from January 2024 all foreigners on domestic flights MUST now show passports and not other forms of ID. Worth checking up!

Link (assuming, of course, that it wasn't the Bangkok Post where you read this)?

Edited by OJAS

9 hours ago, grain said:

went with my TGF to our local amphur a few months ago, was told to go get legally married then come back and ask again. So I've given up on ever having one.

Same here - but why on the whim of a bureaucrat

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I do wonder what it is exactly that some people have against these documents ??...

What I personally have got against the pink ID card in particular is that it doesn't include the single most crucial piece of personal information in our cases, namely the date when our current permission to stay in Thailand expires. Were it to do so I would be round to my amphur in a flash to check out the feasibility of applying for one (with fingers firmly crossed)!

Edited by OJAS

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I used mine at the bank too... as do others...  

the point is of the OP stating that the bank required pink id…the topic…the answer: Pink ID Not Needed For Opening A Bank Account. Find Another Bank.

its an ego flair'... why ???? would you consider it an ego flair if you had one, or are you imagining thats what others think of it ???... 

hey now, flared egos are fair game, even overly wordy nonsense types. Nothing worth getting bothered by, now is it?

Its just an ID card that provides some convenience to some of us...  thats it... Why would you be so against what others find convenient ?

I never implied that I have anything against others using a pink id. You’re just reading into things that aren’t there and nitpicking. Relax already. I can care less about who uses what id where.

literally just gave you an example of when I flew domestically without my passport and used the Pink ID

5! I was agreeing with you, and I added that everyone carries their passport to board a domestic flight, certainly don’t think anyone wants to get caught with their pants down before a flight. Again, you’re reading with an armed predisposition. Lighten up already, no need to so defensive. It’s just a pink id, something that isn’t needed except for the exception of one poster here..petedk for Thai SS. The rest is just fluffy wordy rhetoric.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

What I personally have got against the pink ID card in particular is that it doesn't include the single most crucial piece of personal information in our cases, namely the date when our current permission to stay in Thailand expires. Were it to do so I would be round to my amphur in a flash to check out the feasibility of applying for one (with fingers firmly crossed)!

If it were to [contain the dates of your current permission of stay] would you get a new card with each extension of stay ????

Seems rather impractical...    OR... it could contain that information on a 'chip' which is updated whenever our permissions change.

At the moment the Pink ID is an identity document for non-Thai's - its not related to our immigration status. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

For most foreigners with a pink card this is true.

For those with permanent residence, the pink card's first digit will be an "8", which is also the first digit on Thai ID cards of naturalized Thai citizens. In theory, this should inform that the holder of the pink card does not have an end date to his or her permission to stay in Thailand. 

So far, my pink card has not been used to establish my status as a permanent resident, but perhaps in the future it may. Thailand is changing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

...the alternative was to book an appointment with the UK Consulate (Embassy), wait for however many weeks for the appointment, then obtain the Affirmation of Address document for about 2000 baht....

Good luck with that. The Useless Kingdom Consulate stopped offering that as a service in December 2022.

See the full "limited" list of services -   https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

• Like 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Father and mother of who ??? - thats irrelevant to getting a Yellow House Book.

of course it's irrelevant, the requirements are intended to be difficult at Pattaya City Hall. I wouldn't waste anymore time on it, not worth it

17 hours ago, Hokeus said:

Note that item #3 of the standard terms on the back of pink cards state that the cardholder is not permitted to leave the area. What it says exactly is this:

๓. ห้ามผู้มีชื่อในบัตรออกนอกพื้นที่ออกบัตร เว้นแต่ผู้ซึ่งมีใบสำคัญประจำตัวคนต่างด้าวหรือ ผู้ที่ได้รับอนุญาตเป็นลายลักษณ์อักษร

The reason for this is because the majority of pink card holders are migrant workers from neighboring countries who aren't permitted to travel outside of the district that they reside in Thailand without having permission. 

The impact of this, for example, is if you intend to use the pink card for proof of residence address when applying for a driving license in Thailand is that they will only be able to issue you a driving license that only allows you to drive within the province where the driving license is issued. 

In general, the pink card has fairly limited use and value and in many cases isn't worth the effort if you don't have a yellow book already and/or if the district office will make it difficult for you to meet their guidelines to get one. 

Not completely true. Mine has no such notation on the back side. 

16 hours ago, Hokeus said:

You can use it in many situations in Thailand in lieu of your passport where you might be required to show a photo ID. But if you don't have one, and you also don't want to carry your passport at all times, then in some instances a photo of your passport presented on your phone screen will suffice. 

can also just show a Thai driver's license for photo id also...keep hearing most people say that they have NEVER used it.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not completely true. Mine has no such notation on the back side. 

Interesting, could you post a photo of the back of your card please?

The wording is part of the card blank so maybe the government have taken delivery of a fresh batch.