American expat escapes Thai jail time for scathing hotel review

snoop1130

53 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Reading reviews shouldn't be a challenge, as more than enough across different platforms.  Many reviewer provide photos to back their review, especially if negative.  Only take minimal time to sort through them.

Due diligence saves a lot of headache.  If a vendor has limited or no reviews simply avoid, unless someone you personally know & trust recommended.   

I've rarely been disappointed, and usually impressed, as I tend to read the latest mid to low level reviews.   Don't need to read the "OMG'" reviews.

Bookng.com is good, as have to be a verified customer.

Gmap (my 'go to') is good, as plenty of photos from visitors, along w/streetview, and you can judge the reviewers, by how many reviews they've done.   Even cross reference, to see if you and reviewer have the same mindset, if been to same places you've visited.

Takes a little time, but you won't be disappointed with your choice.  Hotels, never book more than one night, if you book ahead at all.   We rarely do, but self drive, so options abound, if we didn't like the room when peeking, "before paying".

It really isn't rocket science.  Don't forget to make your own review, w/photos if needed, and real info.  ex: don't just state pet friendly, let people know how much the pet charge is, if there is one.

Not quite understanding your post. Never book more than one night?? Many hotels are full your second night and most when almost full charge much more for a last minute booking. Not booking ahead may have worked for you but it's hard to believe it's never back fired. Maybe at 1000 baht a night places. 

8 minutes ago, 2long said:

But here we all are (me included) commenting on it, which is just what the website/forum needs to boost its SEO and to keep advertisers happy and coming back!

Good point 😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, steven100 said:

you can't tell the truth here ...  If your hotel is dirty,  or the service isn't good ... you can't say anything. ...

if you go to a restaurant and the meal was well below what should have been provided, or the table waiter is rude or the service is non-existent ....  you can't say anything. 

you must lie .... 😂

This is not really true. You can always confront the establishment face to face.

It's when you publish things that you incur risk.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, koolkarl said:

This episode is ridiculous.  All the more reason to not visit Thailand because of Thai attitudes towards foreigners and toxic air pollution almost everywhere, most of the year and I mean toxic.

yet, here you are posting on a thai forum

WHY?

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Not quite understanding your post. Never book more than one night?? Many hotels are full your second night and most when almost full charge much more for a last minute booking. Not booking ahead may have worked for you but it's hard to believe it's never back fired. Maybe at 1000 baht a night places. 

Not booking out is way better. It depends on what you’re doing but if you’ll be in an area I like booking one night and changing rooms. Quickly you end up in the best hotel and it’s usually a lot better. But yeah I have not had it where places are booked solid I suppose I’m not sure that doesn’t sound like much of a vacation to me. Go in the off season 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

I don't go to the popular, overpriced, over crowded tourist ghettos.   Rare to find a hotel full, unless you only use booking sites, and they only show rooms 'they' have available.  Hotel site or simply phoning hotel and we find there's availability.  If a couple hotels are full up, that's enough to tell me, I don't want to be in that area.

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

Not booking out is way better. It depends on what you’re doing but if you’ll be in an area I like booking one night and changing rooms. Quickly you end up in the best hotel and it’s usually a lot better. But yeah I have not had it where places are booked solid I suppose I’m not sure that doesn’t sound like much of a vacation to me. Go in the off season 

It's fun to keep changing hotels? You check out at 12.  Check in next place 3 and sometimes later! 

• Confused 1

Fragile egos where nothing substantially improves in the long run...

Not processing criticism whether right or wrong is  a culture stuck in a 3rd world mentality of status quo and stagnation

Reviews are nothing but opinions....can learn a lot from them actually. need to embrace the mindset of each day trying to build a better mouse trap vs we can do no wrong  

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, stoner said:

But amidst the drama, Thailand’s tourism industry continues to navigate the pandemic’s aftermath, with locals and expats seizing the opportunity to explore deserted resorts as international travel remains restricted. 

what ? 

This 2 year old news!!!!!    It must be a quiet news day for Asian Now?!!!   Why this is being re-published today - only they know!!!!!

15 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Yes. This is "news" from 2020. I believe that the hotel received a lot of negative publicity for their over-reaction and (IIRC) has since changed name.

Having said that, the guy who posted the bad review was (IMO) quite a dick. He brought a bottle of gin(?) from the 7/11 and expected to drink it in the hotel restaurant (not in his room) - then he was upset when the management challenged him and asked for a corkage fee.

Hell yeah! The guy should be sued.

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Just another regurgitated story, I have no Idea why AN decided to post it again years later. :sad: 

A solid case in point. Develop awareness. Thailand is a bloody dangerous place. 

40 years ago when getting a Thai visa Canberra we got warned a bout drugs and the export of Buddha images, now the list of "do not" things would probably fill a couple of A4s.

• Agree 1

Before too many more posters get their "knickers in a twist" it would be wise to read a post on the early pages of this thread, where the old incident was outlined by somebody who obviously knew about it, and it wasn't just about poor service et cetera, it was a vindictive plonker who tried to bring a bottle of his own booze into the restaurant/bar to drink and was charged a corkage fee, which he didn't like, so vented his spleen on trip advisor.

For the record, I often bring my own bottle of wine to a restaurant, but not before asking if it is okay and also offering to pay a corkage fee, and have never had a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

It wasn't just a bad review though, was it. I have left bad reviews (including at that same resort) but haven't been sued. In fact that resort even replied to thank me for the feedback and they would improve on my points.

The guy was rowdy and didn't want to pay corkage for bringing his own drinks to the restaurant (200 baht if I remember). He then went on to multiple sites to post falsehoods, accused the hotel of being guilty of slavery and other slanderous things. They asked him to take them down but he doubled down and posted more - it was very personal and vindictive. 

I agree the hotel was stupid to sue, Thailand's libel laws are hugely flawed and abused, and the whole story gets forgotten along the way (as evidenced in this thread) and it becomes "you can go to jail for posting a negative review in Thailand" which is not the case. He posted slander and wouldn't take it down when asked.

If he had said "I didn't like the service and I was disappointed to be asked to pay corkage" nothing would have happened. But if you publicly accuse the management of slavery then it is a different thing.

Agreed on much of what you said here.
On the other hand... just this past week a close friend of mine was taken aside by immigration at the airport after a short vacation to a somewhat nearby East Asian country. They threatened to not allow him entry back into Thailand until he apologized and deleted his Twitter/X comment about how long the queue was at BKK airport immigration. I haven't asked him yet about how on earth they gained access to his comment. I don't know if some imbecile reported it to them or if he provided his social media accounts to them (can't imagine doing that) or if they are actually scanning the socials for keywords to catch people like him? No idea, but incredibly disturbing. So, yeah, this guy in the OP was out of line, big time, but the way things are run here, anything could happen, even if not so over the line like this guy was in this particular case.
As you mentioned, it's not the case that "you can go to jail for posting a negative review in Thailand"... I don't know. That may be the case, but apparently they can refuse you entry to the country you've been living in the past 15 years if you make a comment on social media that they don't like.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

It seems it is happening quite a lot now on AN, so much I'm beginning to doubt my own memory, can I sue AN for that? Do you always get that feeling of Deja Vu, do you always get that feeling of Deja Vu, do you always yet that feeling of Deja Vu.  

Just wondering if, you get the Feeling of Deja Vu?    :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

But amidst the drama, Thailand’s tourism industry continues to navigate the pandemic’s aftermath, with locals and expats seizing the opportunity to explore deserted resorts as international travel remains restricted.

Who writes this rubbish. 

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

No comment  ....the only sure way not to be sued 

regards Worgeodie

Or,...wait until you are safe abroad to comment !

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

It's about time Thailand started to act honestly and allowed complaints etc.

Acting like pissy children!

It's about time Thailand started to act honestly and allowed complaints etc.....

email the TAT  ..

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2024 at 9:41 PM, chickenslegs said:

He brought a bottle of gin(?) from the 7/11 and expected to drink it in the hotel restaurant (not in his room) - then he was upset when the management challenged him and asked for a corkage fee.

I if he is staying at the place he has IMO paid the corkage fee, different if he was a walk in customer

• Confused 2