Driving License 5 year renewal Prakanong Bangkok.

FRM-BKK

On 4/3/2024 at 8:33 AM, FRM-BKK said:

I am fairly confident that everything will be the same, apart from the 7 short videos and questions raised in these.

The 7 videos and questions were all based around motorcycle driving; so I am quite sure that videos for vehicle license renewal are in a similar manner.

I am confident that the procedure at the LTD office and the completion of the physical tests are the same.

However, I stress again that my experience was at the DLT Area Office 3 Prakanong Sukhumvit Soi 99; actually about 20 meters beyond Soi 99.  We all know that Thai Government offices in different jurisdictions can apply their own rules.

I have attached a screenshot of the DLT Smart Queue Application with the requirement in case of Yellow book etc.

IMG_7478.PNG

Did they write Restrictions on the back of your D.L  ? Could you post a photo of the back ? 

There are no restrictions on my new license.  The back of the license only contains my full postal address, a QR code and a picture of a motorcycle. 

No other information.

On the front of the license it clearly states 

“Private Motorcycle Driving License”.

On a different note, people are asking about when to renew?

From experience for both car and motorcycle license renewal is that if you renew say a week or a month after your license has expired, the system/computer used by the licensing authority cannot count backwards, only forward. The end result is that you gain almost an extra year. 

I renewed 10 days after expiry and received 5 years and 355 days; they always renew to your birthday 5 years ahead of the renewal date, hence the extra 355 days. 

11 hours ago, FRM-BKK said:

There are no restrictions on my new license.  The back of the license only contains my full postal address, a QR code and a picture of a motorcycle. 

No other information.

On the front of the license it clearly states 

“Private Motorcycle Driving License”.

On a different note, people are asking about when to renew?

From experience for both car and motorcycle license renewal is that if you renew say a week or a month after your license has expired, the system/computer used by the licensing authority cannot count backwards, only forward. The end result is that you gain almost an extra year. 

I renewed 10 days after expiry and received 5 years and 355 days; they always renew to your birthday 5 years ahead of the renewal date, hence the extra 355 days. 

My friend renewed his DL with Yellow book and Pink card (not sure which office)

On the back it states that he is restricted to leave the province without permission from the authority (near the address area)

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

On the back it states that he is restricted to leave the province without permission from the authority (near the address area)

Indeed, and for that reason I was advised when I renewed my 5 yr DL at DLT Bangchak 2 years ago, to use the Yellow Tabien Baan only and not the pink ID card.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DrJoy said:

2 hours ago, mark5335 said:

Indeed, and for that reason I was advised when I renewed my 5 yr DL at DLT Bangchak 2 years ago, to use the Yellow Tabien Baan only and not the pink ID card.

Again I think that is something that depends on each office because I used my yellow book and my pink ID and there is no restrictions on the back of my DL. (This is Bueng Sam Phan, Phetchabun office)

17 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Come to think of it, they only used my yellow book, although I did offer both.

Again, I just checked my license and there are no restrictions in my license. 

So, I think you have raised a valid point on the difference between 5-year renewal with a pink ID card or Yellow House book, of which the latter appears to be the best option.

I would add, that in order to obtain a pink ID card, you must have a Yellow House book, but I might be wrong on that. 

7 hours ago, FRM-BKK said:

So, I think you have raised a valid point on the difference between 5-year renewal with a pink ID card or Yellow House book, of which the latter appears to be the best option.

I would add, that in order to obtain a pink ID card, you must have a Yellow House book, but I might be wrong on that. 

He used his Pink card and Yellow book both, on the front where it says ID -it mentions his 13 digit pink card number , not his passport.

Further, his name is written in Thai and English both, whereas who use their Passports - name is written in English 2 times.

22 hours ago, alesaldana said:

I used my yellow book and my pink ID and there is no restrictions on the back of my DL. (This is Bueng Sam Phan,

On the front where it mentions "ID" what does it show, your 13 digit pink card or your passport number ?

On 6/8/2024 at 7:17 PM, DrJoy said:

He used his Pink card and Yellow book both, on the front where it says ID -it mentions his 13 digit pink card number , not his passport.

Further, his name is written in Thai and English both, whereas who use their Passports - name is written in English 2 times.

It's exactly same as mine, pink id number, name in Thai and in English 

On 6/8/2024 at 7:19 PM, DrJoy said:

On the front where it mentions "ID" what does it show, your 13 digit pink card or your passport number ?

As mentioned before, using the pink ID, the DL number will be your pink ID number, which in my opinion is the best for different reasons:

1. Your pink ID number will never change. (your passport number changes every time it is renewed)

2. If you have motorbike and car driver license like me, if one of them is still valid (with the passport number) you can’t have both DL on the DLT app under the same username, they are not linked, and you will need to register again every time you get your passport renewed, whereas using the pink ID will remain the same.

At the time of the DL renewal, you still have to show your passport for the visa and personal details, but after that everything will be done using the pink ID. To watch the videos for the DL renewal, you can still able to register with your passport so you can watch the subtitled version.

• Agree 1

On 5/29/2024 at 3:30 AM, WebGuy said:

Nope. Definitely in Thai. No options to change the language and if I go directly to YouTube, the captions are closed.

2.JPG

1.JPG

I found if you use you Pink ID to register on dlt-elearning.com it will only be in Thai, but if you register with your foreign passport then it will give you the option of choosing English

On 4/2/2024 at 1:15 AM, FRM-BKK said:

I have just returned from renewing my 5-year Thai motorcycle license at the Department of Land Transport (DLT) at Prakanong.

This DLT office is known as Area 3 and is on Sukhumvit road, just after Soi 99 Bangkok.

My main reason for going to this DLT office was that they offered appointments for renewing my license; I booked the appointment 2 months ago.

In the meantime I realised that my time at the DLT would be greatly reduced if I completed the theoretical part of the renewal process online.  It took around 90 minutes to complete. This theoretical test online consists of 7 different videos, in each video you have to answer one question in a multiple choice style.  At the end of the test you can review your answers and then submit. If all questions are correctly answered, you are issued with a QR code and some other details which you use when you present yourself at the DLT.

Another new element is that we as foreigners can now use our Yellow House book and Pink ID card to complete the renewal process.

Here are the items I had to submit this morning:

* Appointment booking QR code (issued when booking the appointment in advance)

* DLT e-Learning referral QR code, issued on passing the online theoretical test.

* Yellow House book plus a photocopy of the two pages

* Pink ID card plus a photocopy

* Passport main photo, page plus photocopy

* Health certificate not older than 30 days

* Old driver license plus photocopy

Using my Yellow House book and my Pink ID card saved me from getting a residency certificate from my embassy or from Immigration.

In previous years I have used my ‘Old Style’ Work Permit, as that too is accepted as proof of address. 
I brought my Work Permit with me, but they did not want it,  and used the Yellow Book plus Pink ID Card.

PS. New style Work Permits no longer contain the holder’s address and are therefore no longer accepted.

on arriving at the DLT centre I was directed to the “Foreigners” help desk, where, after showing the appointment reference, they inspected my documents and where I had to show them that I had completed the online E-learning + QR code.

I was then issued with more paperwork and sent along to the next administrator who, again, checked my paperwork and issued something else. After that I was sent to another administrator who issued more paperwork to complete and the physical test forms.

After that I was made to watch a video for about 2 minutes, instructing you how to perform the physical test.  You couldn’t hear a thing because of the noise and all the other chaotic goings on …..

I was then taken into the room where the physical tests are performed. The tests are pretty simple and I was done in 2 minutes.
Paper stamped and off to the next booth, where they actually issue the new license.

That took about 40 minutes before I was seen by an officer.  Once with the officer,  it took 2 minutes and 255 Baht and a new license one minute later.

Here is a fact that some people may know already.  If you renew after the expiry date of your old license, your new license will be issued for another 5 years, but because the computer system cannot count backwards, you get 5 years plus (in my case) 11 months, as I was one month over the expiry date, so, virtually 6 years.  Renewal dates are set on your birthdate. 

So, having made an appointment and completing the DLT online E-Learning significantly speeded up the process at the DLT.

I want to repeat that my experience above was at the DLT Area Office 3 Prakanong, Sukhumvit 99 Bangkok. 
Other DLT offices may not accept Yellow House book and Pink ID card as proof of residency.

My total time at this DLT office from arriving to leaving with a new license was about 80 minutes.

Did you need to show any type of Visa's or Extension? My 5 year Car license expires at the end of June, and I won't be returning until July 10th and only enter on Visa exempt, I am from Canada. Will they allow me to renew?

8 hours ago, dsj said:

Did you need to show any type of Visa's or Extension? My 5 year Car license expires at the end of June, and I won't be returning until July 10th and only enter on Visa exempt, I am from Canada. Will they allow me to renew?

I really think that there is no definitive answer to this question.  As we have already seen that different DLT offices apply different rules, just like immigration.

i think your best opportunity would be to renew before leaving at the end of June. 
Your argument will likely be that they tell you to come back once you have renewed your visa …. 
I would take that gamble and try … you have nothing to lose. 

2 hours ago, FRM-BKK said:

I really think that there is no definitive answer to this question.  As we have already seen that different DLT offices apply different rules, just like immigration.

i think your best opportunity would be to renew before leaving at the end of June. 
Your argument will likely be that they tell you to come back once you have renewed your visa …. 
I would take that gamble and try … you have nothing to lose. 

Thanks. I am already back in Canada, and be in Bangkok July 10. I just got a single 90 day non imm-O visa yesterday, would that be suffix or would I have to get a 1 year extension?

4 hours ago, dsj said:

Thanks. I am already back in Canada, and be in Bangkok July 10. I just got a single 90 day non imm-O visa yesterday, would that be suffix or would I have to get a 1 year extension?

I’m afraid that I cannot help you with an appropriate answer; I really don’t know.

I guess you could try with your 90-day

O-visa.

Other members might have alternative suggestions.

The only other option I can think of is to use an agent. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 9:57 PM, dsj said:

If you have the pink ID card and yellow tabian ban, they don't care about your visa at all in Nonthaburi office.

On 6/7/2024 at 6:08 PM, DrJoy said:

This is a common misconception: 

The statment on the back of the Pink ID card: 

"The person named on the card is prohibited from leaving the card issuing area. Except for those who have alien identification card or person who has received written permission"

What this means is anyone without 'alien identification' cannot leave the area of issue (Amphur area)... 

Most people have a Passport and this is considered 'Alien Identification' and superseedes the Pink ID card (and geographical restrictions on the validity of that card). 

image.thumb.png.ce3de9030816aada06195cc184a3cc0d.png

On the back of the Thai Driving Licence itself (IF obtained with Yellow Book & Pink ID) the restrictions state:

"in the case of driving outside of the area, use it together with permission to leave the area"

The permission to leave the area is your Passport. 

image.thumb.png.e43679ddc4a3cdb18ab1c2d68b3bb4a3.png

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 4:33 PM, richard_smith237 said:

This is a common misconception: 

The statment on the back of the Pink ID card: 

"The person named on the card is prohibited from leaving the card issuing area. Except for those who have alien identification card or person who has received written permission"

What this means is anyone without 'alien identification' cannot leave the area of issue (Amphur area)... 

Most people have a Passport and this is considered 'Alien Identification' and superseedes the Pink ID card (and geographical restrictions on the validity of that card). 

image.thumb.png.ce3de9030816aada06195cc184a3cc0d.png

On the back of the Thai Driving Licence itself (IF obtained with Yellow Book & Pink ID) the restrictions state:

"in the case of driving outside of the area, use it together with permission to leave the area"

The permission to leave the area is your Passport. 

image.thumb.png.e43679ddc4a3cdb18ab1c2d68b3bb4a3.png

Thank you for the clarification regarding the restrictions of a pink ID card. 

I have just taken pictures of my new motorcycle licence and it does not contain any restrictions despite having renewed with my Yellow House Book. As I mentioned before the Prakanong Office did not want my pink ID card, only my Yellow House Book. 
Although I have blacked out most of my pink ID card number, it is used on my license starting with 6.

My car license is due for renewal early next year.  I will report again after that’s done.

IMG_8107.thumb.jpeg.bd9612a8dcc2bda8cb2cf58b242e2037.jpegIMG_8106.thumb.jpeg.b75878936062c1060b7ff7bbb3eec86c.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, FRM-BKK said:

Thank you for the clarification regarding the restrictions of a pink ID card. 

I have just taken pictures of my new motorcycle licence and it does not contain any restrictions despite having renewed with my Yellow House Book. As I mentioned before the Prakanong Office did not want my pink ID card, only my Yellow House Book. 
Although I have blacked out most of my pink ID card number, it is used on my license starting with 6.

My car license is due for renewal early next year.  I will report again after that’s done.

IMG_8107.thumb.jpeg.bd9612a8dcc2bda8cb2cf58b242e2037.jpegIMG_8106.thumb.jpeg.b75878936062c1060b7ff7bbb3eec86c.jpeg

A couple of other posters have also pointed out that their is not wording of any restriction on other license their license. 

I suspect the DLT have realised the flaw in that wording and it no longer exists in the newer licenses...  I'll find out when I renew mine again in a couple of years. 

What does strike me as extremely odd is that some DLT's (i.e. Chonburi) will not accept the Yellow House Book as proof of address when applying / renewing a licence.